Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone keep the medical card and work part-time

• 17-05-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

If someone is a widow in receipt of the widows pension and wants to go back to work part time if and keep the medical. Because their child needs to go to the doctor a lot and could not afford to give up the medical card. (Not about me but my aunt and her young daughter) She cant go back to work if she has to give up their medical cards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Probably better off asking in the State Benefits forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would suggest she go into the social welfare office and ask them...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trish97

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I would suggest she go into the social welfare office and ask them...

What a foolish thing to do. If you tell them you have an offer of work and don't take it up your benefits will be cut! Never ask them anything without knowing what the answer will be first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Kosseegan wrote: »
    What a foolish thing to do. If you tell them you have an offer of work and don't take it up your benefits will be cut! Never ask them anything without knowing what the answer will be first.

Wow, if you look at it that way, you could make a career out of benefit fraud...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ask in the state benefits, I believe that there is a threshold that you can earn up to and keep the medical card

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Wow, if you look at it that way, you could make a career out of benefit fraud...

You can also go through life like an idiot losing every which way. The welfare system is full of anomalies and contradictions. Getting caught on the wrong side of them is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Trish97 wrote: »
    If someone is a widow in receipt of the widows pension and wants to go back to work part time if and keep the medical. Because their child needs to go to the doctor a lot and could not afford to give up the medical card. (Not about me but my aunt and her young daughter) She cant go back to work if she has to give up their medical cards.

This is from citizens advise website,

Retention of medical card

Medical card
    If you are unemployed and you are returning to full-time or part-time work, you can keep your medical card for 3 years provided you have been getting one of the following allowances or benefits for 12 months or more:

•Jobseeker's Benefit
    •Jobseeker's Allowance
    •One-Parent Family Payment
    •Illness Benefit
    •Disability Allowance
    •Blind Pension or
    •Have been on an employment incentive scheme or educational opportunity scheme
    If you take up full-time employment you will retain your medical card for 3 years from the date you start work. If you take up part-time employment the three-year period starts from the date your income exceeds the relevant medical card guideline. There are further details about the retention of medical cards in the Health Service Executive's Guide to Medical Cards.

Advertisement