Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70 false alarms

Options
  • 17-05-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I recently installed a HKC Quantum in my mothers house due to a large increase in robberys recently.

There is the main panel and 1 RF-CW and 8 RF-CSW (i think those are correct) wireless sensors. Installing the panel and adding the sensors was very easy and quick.

Two of the wireless shock sensors constantly set off the alarm saying there was a "Gross" attack but this has happened while i was looking straight at one of them so it is not the case.

I have turned off all the reeds as i was getting an "Exit error" problem. I read here somewhere this could be down to weak magnetic field and it appears to have fixed this problem. Although trying to get larger magnets in electrical wholesalers is proving surprisingly hard.

Does anyone know why the sensors are giving the "Gross" reading? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the alarm isnt much use as is.

Also i am not a trained alarm installer (probably obvious).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Mr Q wrote: »
    I recently installed a HKC Quantum in my mothers house due to a large increase in robberys recently.

There is the main panel and 1 RF-CW and 8 RF-CSW (i think those are correct) wireless sensors. Installing the panel and adding the sensors was very easy and quick.

Two of the wireless shock sensors constantly set off the alarm saying there was a "Gross" attack but this has happened while i was looking straight at one of them so it is not the case.

I have turned off all the reeds as i was getting an "Exit error" problem. I read here somewhere this could be down to weak magnetic field and it appears to have fixed this problem. Although trying to get larger magnets in electrical wholesalers is proving surprisingly hard.

Does anyone know why the sensors are giving the "Gross" reading? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the alarm isnt much use as is.

Also i am not a trained alarm installer (probably obvious).

Thanks in advance

Are the arrows in the sensor head pointing up?
    Did you fix the sensor to the window with a screw holding the sensor head holder in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Altor thanks for the reply. All the arrows were poinitng up but the removable piece that holds the shock sensor did not have a screw directly in it in three of the sensors, two of the ones which have being going off.

I have put screws into them and will see how get on with it over weekend. Hopefully it was just my mistake that was the problem.

Altor thanks for the reply. All the arrows were poinitng up but the removable piece that holds the shock sensor did not have a screw directly in it in three of the sensors, two of the ones which have being going off.

I have put screws into them and will see how get on with it over weekend. Hopefully it was just my mistake that was the problem.

Let us know how you get on. If there is any movement without these screws in then you would get a false alarm.

Altor so far so good, it seems to have sorted it. Ill keep posted.

Thanks for the help

Altor so far so good, it seems to have sorted it. Ill keep posted.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for getting back to us Mr Q, hopefully that is it sorted for good :D

• Advertisement

This morning the alarm went off again. It was one of the sensors from previously. I checked the log and it gave the following.

001 unset
    002 alarm zone 2
    003 alarm gross zone 2
    004 alarm zone 2
    005 alarm gross zone 2
    etc
    etc
    022 part set a

Not including the set and unset there were 20 things logged, all the same. All over a period of just 1 minute 10 seconds on the same window. The alarm had been set about five or six hours.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Also should i have set the PIR's sensitivity before installing. No animals or anything in house.

Thanks

This morning the alarm went off again. It was one of the sensors from previously. I checked the log and it gave the following.

001 unset
    002 alarm zone 2
    003 alarm gross zone 2
    004 alarm zone 2
    005 alarm gross zone 2
    etc
    etc
    022 part set a

Not including the set and unset there were 20 things logged, all the same. All over a period of just 1 minute 10 seconds on the same window. The alarm had been set about five or six hours.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Also should i have set the PIR's sensitivity before installing. No animals or anything in house.

Thanks

It triggered a few times, that is why it is in the log.
    What have you the gross for that zone set on?

It's set to 5 at the minute

It's set to 5 at the minute

Have you anything wired out of the sensor?

Altor, its on its own

• Advertisement

Altor, its on its own

Can you check to make sure the input terminals are screwed tight. Failing this this may have a faulty device.

Thanks altor I will check that. Hopefully its just some thing loose

Thanks altor I will check that. Hopefully its just some thing loose

Your welcome, hopefully that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds like a faulty detector, I've had a few lately.

What type window is the detector on?
    If fitted to wooden windows it may be the frame expanding and contracting that is activating the sensor.
    Just a thought :)

The windows are uPVC. Is there anyway to add this sensor back onto the system so that it will only log any alarm from this sensor. But not set off the alarm?

The windows are uPVC. Is there anyway to add this sensor back onto the system so that it will only log any alarm from this sensor. But not set off the alarm?

Yes set the sensor up for soak test.

Bit late with the reply. Set up on soak but didn't realise for a week that the alarm would not verbally tell me it had a soak event when disarmed it. So i set the soak to txt me with each event. 57 txts the next morning before lunch. So needless to say im assuming the sensor is faulty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You should be getting this replaced FOC.
    Is there no option to time how long a zone is on soak test?
    A dangerous tool to use if it can't be timed. So easy to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Stephen868

KoolKid wrote: »
    You should be getting this replaced FOC.
    Is there no option to time how long a zone is on soak test?
    A dangerous tool to use if it can't be timed. So easy to forget.

Soak test can be timed in days. System Timer -> Soak Time . Its in Days.
    This product is well within warrenty and will be repaced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks Stephen, I thought there should be. I hate using unlimited soak tests. Its too easy for them to be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Stephen868

Also when a Zone is on Soak it will display "Zone 3 IN Soak" example before arming the panel.

A good feature. Thanks again.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nonita

Hello I got a quantum 70 installed recently. I set it before leaving the house with the door open. Now if I set it , open the door, leave the house and close the door, it sets it off. It was working fine before. Any suggestions?

Is there a wireless sensor/contact on the front door?
    Has any settings been changed in engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nonita

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is there a wireless sensor/contact on the front door?
    Has any settings been changed in engineer?

Hello,
    Yes there is a sensor on the door which is clearly what us causing the issue. Nothing was changed.

Nonita wrote: »
    Hello I got a quantum 70 installed recently. I set it before leaving the house with the door open. Now if I set it , open the door, leave the house and close the door, it sets it off. It was working fine before. Any suggestions?

If the system comes up with zone front door alarm/exit fault then it could either the magnet is not closing the reed or the sensor itself might have an issue.

Is this whats displayed when you turn off the alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Is it set to entry exit?
    Do you have a pir in the hallway ? If so is this set to access? what version software is on the sensor ?

If it had been working normally & none of the settings have changed its unlikely to be an Access or Entry Exit setting that's wrong. Otherwise he would have always had an issue setting it. More likely, as Altor said, a faulty device..
    If its recently installed it should be still under guarantee . Get the installer back. There should be no charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement