Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win Euro 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland to go out bottom of their group in a heroic fashion with a draw, a loss and a narrow draw V. Italy. Songs will be sung about how things could have been so much different if only that penalty was given in the 87th minute.

I'll go with Germany to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Samich wrote: »
    Germany with Neuer have a massive chance.

He's the best in the world imo.

You mustn't have watched the German cup final at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Germany to win it. And if the media left England alone they could go far or else they will do the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Hard to look past Germany.

France will surprise a few people and go far though I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Germany to win it I'd say.

If Spain had a fully fit and firing David Villa it would be hard to look past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Greece or Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

It's been 24 years since we were at the euros, there is only two other countries that had a 24 year gap . They are France from 1960-1984 and Greece 1980-2004 , they both won the tournament on their return from a 24 year gap.

Which way to the bookies, 100/1 with Ladbrokes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Holland to win - their squad is pretty much the same as two years ago, and on that preview show they sound like they believed they could win the World Cup, and were not satisfied with being runners-up.

For Germany's sake, I wouldn't like how they are being put in the position as #1 favourites pre-tournament, adds extra pressure.

Spain will still be good, but I think their winning days are over, at least for a few tournaments.

France and Croatia could both go very far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Croatia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Holland to win - their squad is pretty much the same as two years ago, and on that preview show they sound like they believed they could win the World Cup, and were not satisfied with being runners-up.

For Germany's sake, I wouldn't like how they are being put in the position as #1 favourites pre-tournament, adds extra pressure.

Spain will still be good, but I think their winning days are over, at least for a few tournaments.

France and Croatia could both go very far.

They aren't actually favourites though which is quite unbelievable when looking at this poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Atar....oh wait, Ireland then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

apparantly its not hard to look past a lot of teams

Holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Spain to win again and beat Germany...again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Gonna go with Croatia no logic behind it other than Bilic, Modric & Jelovic to have good tournament

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

11% for Spain :confused:

Spain. Has the past few years been forgotten again?

They'll win every game 1-0 again since no team, not even the much vaunted (in this thread) Germany, will come out and face them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Head says Spain, heart Germany. France and the Netherlands will be there or there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

15.70% of the forum either don't know their football or are trolls.

I'm surprised the figure is so low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

If someone put a gun to my head and said who's going to win the Euros, France, Italy or Spain, I would say Spain. However I think that the odds represent value on the other two.

Italy's spine will be made up of Juve players fresh off the back of a League title and high on confidence. Furthermore, those Juve players have played considerably less games than most because they didn't play in Europe this season. I don't necessarily think they'll win, but I think they'll get something out of Spain in the first match, which will boost them on to the knockout stages where they are always a threat.

France have a very talented group of players all over the pitch. In Benzema (20/1) they have a great bet for top scorer, as their group is probably the easiest. They recently beat Germany (albeit in a friendly) and will benefit from not being considered among the favourites.

Spain and Germany are justifiably the favourites, but I think their odds are too short. Spain's Barca core have played a silly amount of football in the last 4 years, and have looked jaded recently. No Puyol will also be a huge blow. They still have the most talented group of players, but for me they are not a 5/2 shot.

Germany's group will take a lot out of them, and if they don't hit the ground running, they may not even qualify for the knockouts. No team in the Euros are pushovers, but to face Netherlands and Portugal is quite clearly more difficult than Sweden and Ukraine (as France have to play).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't think he had a great season he made a load of costly blunders .

A load? I remember two of which one actually cost Bayern points.

He's quite some goalie for his age. Whether I'd call for Germany to win on the back of his presence is another thing of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You mustn't have watched the German cup final at the weekend

Thats the second one I remember and it didn't matter at that stage.

Me personally I went for Spain, they're still the team to beat. We (Germany) are in with a shout no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Normally I enjoy laughing at the media circus that is England but this year is different, no media hype and with Roy Hodgson I really thing they have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Oirland, Oirland, re-pub-il-ic of Oirland, rev it up and here we go

Im all over this bandwagon like a like a fat kid on a cake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Xavi6 wrote: »
    15.70% of the forum either don't know their football or are trolls.

I'm surprised the figure is so low.

This is football, stranger things have happened.

Granted Ireland probably won't win it but it's football anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

A while back someone posted a thereotically probable permuation of how we could progress to the final if we came second in our group, by meeting England and France en route (or the other way around, depending on where they came in their group and one reaching the semis to face us). Both teams are more than beatable by Traps style. Being honest if we survive our group and do not have to face either Holland or Germany before the final, Ireland in the final is a very real possibility. I dont know what this sh1te is about France, obviously they are better than 2 years ago but with the squad they have they should be challenging Holland and Germany for the title, yet they are nowhere near that level.

God though, sending England AND France home, the whole world would be behind us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can't believe the number of people writing off Spain and Italy.

For me it's going to be between Holland, Spain, Germany and Italy. Spain's players, especially the Barca contingent, have had a unreal amount of games played until recently but with their premature exit in many tournaments I think they might be a bit more rested and fresher for this had the La Liga and UCL gone all the way down to the wire. Having an on form Villa is huge for them but they do really have a team lavished with talent and technique. The only reason I'm not saying they won't win is it is simply because history is against them that's all. They look the best team going into this tourney by a significant distance. Then Germany and Holland. Italy because, well, they're Italy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Portugal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Surprise at the lack of support for Spain! They are my fav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I dont know what this sh1te is about France, obviously they are better than 2 years ago but with the squad they have they should be challenging Holland and Germany for the title, yet they are nowhere near that level.

This literally makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hard to see past Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Czech Republic

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

stovelid wrote: »
    While bitching to all and sundry about lesser teams having the temerity to tackle them and employ a defence against them.

Don't see were the evidence for that statment is. They've won the last 2 tournaments they've played in & qualifed for this tournament without breaking a sweat really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

"Second favourite syndrome" means Germany are going to go off at the laughably horrific price of 3/1. Spain, the current European and World champions, can be got at 11/4. Makes no sense. Amazing how much people will latch on to a fashionable alternative and go against the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Germany were the most exciting team in the world cup and I hope they win. Unless Ireland do something incredible of course.

Ze Germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ze englanders, simply because everyone expects them to go out after the first 3 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Spain are still the team to beat.

Russia can be a match for anyone on their day from the "outsiders".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Spain are still the team to beat.

Russia can be a match for anyone on their day from the "outsiders".

Russia are gone once they play either Germany or Holland in the quarter finals.

I can see us playing France in the quarter finals.

It's too hard to look past that German side for the championships this year.

barone wrote: »
    ze englanders, simply because everyone expects them to go out after the first 3 games

Funny that you mention this, this is probably the first time since I can remember that the expectations for England are low. Might actually make the difference for the players mentally...... we shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

Funny that you mention this, this is probably the first time since I can remember that the expectations for England are low. Might actually make the difference for the players mentally...... we shall see.

You'd think that but you still see people like Lineker saying "Well, nobody's expecting England to do much at this tournament which will mean the pressure's off, therefore maybe England can WIN THE EUROS!". There's no need to attempt to make the pressure high on that team even when it's low which is what sentiment like that does as they so rarely have the luxury of playing without that weight of expectation and if they go out without that on their shoulders and still fall short it might be the catalyst to really turn around the English (and they Irish along with it) style of play more in line with the rest of the world game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Germany for me.

Think Italy will surprise a lot of people and top out group though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Congratulations to the 13%...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its up to 14% now ;)

Advertisement