Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dilemma, Advice would be appreciated

Options
  • 17-05-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

All

Have a little dilemma and would appreciate some advice.
    I am currently employed in Ireland but working and staying away from home, and have been offered a job close to home which I really want.
    Company who offered the job are looking for someone to start in 2 weeks. I have a contract with current employer which states I need to give 1 months notice. I have a weeks holidays due from current employer ( if this helps ),

What would you do, recommend, what rights have I?

Would love some advice,

Thanks
    JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

best advice i can give is talk to both parties.

in general you cant use outstanding annual leave during your notice period especially if you have to do a handover or train someone else, but a lot of companies will allow you to anyway.

the new company may want someone to start in 2 weeks but if they really want you they they may also be flexible.

best thing to do is talk to your current boss explain to him that you know you are required to give 4 weeks notice but this is a great opportunity and you'd hate to miss out on it. if he's a decent sort he'll work with you, at the same time speak to your new employer and explain the same to him, he'll be aware that most companies require 4 weeks notice so should be flexible with you. chances are a middle ground can easily be found here to allow you to finish within 2 or possible 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Good advice above there - and I'd also add that try and come up with a plan to demonstrate to your current boss how you can handover / finish up your work within the shorter notice period.

Advertisement