Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough NCR / Dorset street area?

Options
  • 17-05-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there!

Just moving up from the country to dublin there, and I'm looking for a place to rent.

Just wondering what the Phibsborough NCR / Dorset street area is like? Mostly, is it safe? I notice the prison is not to far from where I am thinking of renting. Does this make things safer or more dangerous?

What about night time?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

it isn't the prettiest of areas and as with most places has a few dodgy areas but for the most part it is grand

I don't think the prison affects it one way or the other to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The prison doesn't affect it at all.

It's not a bad area, walkable from town, good pulblic transport, cheap taxi to/from town.

Decent enough local amenities.

The only thing that takes away from the area really is Bohemian Football Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Phibsborough is nice but some of the flats are kips like everywhere I suppose. Be sure to thoroughly check any place out your interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

It looks pretty grim around there.

I live up off the park end of the NCR but living around there I would find pretty depressing. Phibsborough is grand but down around Dorset street is a bit crap really, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Phibsborough is lovely. It has everything you could want in terms of shops, pubs and amenities and is only a short walk to the city center. I've lived here 4 years and never experienced any trouble. The NCR is grand for the most part although as someone else mentioned the area around and past dorset street does seem to have its share of junkies and feral children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Phibsborough is lovely. It has everything you could want in terms of shops, pubs and amenities and is only a short walk to the city center. I've lived here 4 years and never experienced any trouble. The NCR is grand for the most part although as someone else mentioned the area around and past dorset street does seem to have its share of junkies and feral children.

+1 - I've also been here 4 years and haven't had any trouble. I'd consider NCR up by the park to be sketchier than around Doyle's Corner.

I think it depends on what your priorities are when considering somewhere to live - it's definitely lively, there are a fair amount of addicts around the area but there are a lot of Gardai too with the station on NCR.

You've got a short walk to Botanic Gardens, Phoenix Park or City Centre and places like Blessington Basin and Dalymount Park on your doorstep - as well as lots of places to eat and drink between Phibsborough, Smithfield, Stoneybatter and Glasnevin/Drumcondra.

p.s. I wouldn't worry about the prison - I think they mostly play racquet sports in there, as I've seen a couple of young lads run up and throw tennis balls back over the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

also egg lobbing and model helicopter flying seem to be popular pastimes:D

Advertisement