Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 week pup with runs..

• 17-05-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭

Ive a 14 week old Malamute who has the runs. Ive tried just chicken and rice dinners and while it improved slightly it didnt 100% fix the problem. Tried him on sensitive food too and same. Have also tried those firm stool tablets. Could he be allergic to certain things? If i don't get to the end of it soon id say it'll be another trip to the vet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Puppies get dehydrated really quickly so a trip to the vet is the first thing. then try a hypoallergenic food such as James Welbeloved, one like the potato and salmon one in Petmania and see how you go, but don't do the change suddenly but slowly substituting the new food for the old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Thanks can you give me a rough price for that bag of food? Can you get smaller bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Puppies get dehydrated really quickly so a trip to the vet is the first thing.

+1 to that - you have been to the vet already but if your pup is still dehydrated you may need another visit.

I had a similar problem with one of my dogs recently. I tried fasting and homecooked meals for 5 days but he still had problems. He was put on antibiotics for 10 days. Diagnosed with a really bad gut/stomach infection. It toke nearly 3 weeks to sort out.

If it's just a bug causing diarrhoea then here is some information (which you have tried I think):
    http://burnspet.co.uk/petcare/burns-pet-nutrition-advice/digestive-problems.html

If it's intolerance to certain ingredients then it's a matter of trial and error:
    http://burnspet.co.uk/petcare/burns-pet-nutrition-advice/dietary-intolerance.html

(There was a post recently where someone said you can do an allergy test to find out if your dog is allergic to certain foods. Pet insurance might cover it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Eemia wrote: »
    Thanks can you give me a rough price for that bag of food? Can you get smaller bags?

Small bags of james well beloved are about €12 I think. Not sure cause my guys are on a different one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sibes and mals can get the runs very easily if overfed. How much are you feeding. What food was he on when you got him from the breeder? Have you contacted the breeder to ask his/her advice?

If you've been changing his food to try and sort the problem out, unfortunately that could, in itself, be part of the problem, his stomach isn't having enough time to adjust to the new food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you starved/fasted him for 24 hours OP? Our vets say to starve for 24 hours then feed small amounts often - as long as the dog is drining - you don't want to risk him getting dehydrated. Probiotics like Diarsanyl or ProKolin are very good for restoring the balance in the gut and clearing it up quickly enough and are good to have in stock just in case. More than likely the vet will give you a tube of it if you take him.

Advertisement