Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yoga or Pilates

• 17-05-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if many people go to either or both ?
    which do you feel is better for you ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

I started doing yoga for two reasons.

1. My other half is pregnant and she was doing it so I joined in for moral support.

2. I was working on a website for Wicklow Yoga and started to realise that yoga could be really beneficial to me. I'd been wondering what to do to cross train and I hate cycling and would be unlikely to keep up swimming.

I don't know anything about Pilates, but I was talking to someone recently who does it for running and finds it really good.

Talking to my totally biased yoga teacher in Wicklow, she says that she thinks that yoga is probably better for running, but it depends on the style of yoga a bit too. She does Ashtanga which is quite tough as yoga goes (and I'm certainly not finding yoga easy).

The combination of deep stretches and building core strength make yoga a winner for me. Also, I spent years looking after elderly patients and I don't want to end up immobile in my old age. Did you see that woman in new york? Oldest Yoga teacher in the world (theres an annoying ad before the video). I want to be like her when I grow up! (but less female).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

I think both would be very beneficial.

I started Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) a few months ago and would highly recommend it if there is a studio near you. I have been just taking one class a week and I am really noticing the benefits in terms and flexibility and core strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

miller82 wrote: »
    Just wondering if many people go to either or both ?
    which do you feel is better for you ?

why do you think you need to do it?
    is it because everybody talks about it or do you have a reason for it?

I hear Bryan Mc Crystal drinks a lot of yogi tea.... if you understand what i mean like ....

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I started Pilates a few months ago after my physio recommended it. I've had a recurring injury which ultimately a stronger core would help to avoid re-occurring. If it achieves that great it's worth it. I guess time will tell. I would say that practically all the specific exercises I was given by my Physio to deal with the injury are done (perhaps with some minor variation) in the Pilates class.

Yes I could do the core work by myself and am doing so now while trying to manage the injury however once the pain go's I've a feeling the exercises won't get done, but a pilates class ensure they will.

I wouldn't dismiss it (as some people do) - I know several athletes who claim it helps them avoid injury. That said not everyone will need to spend the time doing it as perhaps they don't have a specific underlying weekness.

neither would i dismiss it! But they are also some of the buzz words right now in tri. ( like compression gear, powermeter , disc wheels, bare feet running etc, all great stuff if used correctly in the wrong hands, a waste or even potentially dangerous)
    I think TI strenght coach recommended tennis last week, no mention of pilates and yoga ;-0
    and you see one of 2 clients that actually play tennis, i recommended hot yoga as her harmstrings are as tight as one could imagine.....
    but that dosnt take away that tennis in the past has a positive impact for her triathlon training now .....

the Question of the OP is one of those where one gets the impression he or she read in a tri marketing magazine yoga or pilates are good for you...
    he she, does not ask i have this x issue could yoga or pilates help or is there something that could be more specific for triathlon training.

this is the problem with buzz words and the unassuming punters.
    it sounds all great but marketing sounds usually great.....

This is one of the very clear cases where the OP would be best advised to talk to somebody that understands triathlon,or his physio of confidence,that understands triathlon.

You know when I read computer stuff I go wow i5 chip 40 % faster etc until I ask somebody that knows his computer stuff and this guy tells me, peter you do such and such with your computer and a i5 chip wont really help you
    so i have a 360 euro out of date laptop with a good screen. that does all i need and more. I put it beside my flatmates laptop and it does all I need as fast as his 1000 euro laptop ( and my internet which i really need is faster than his as I dodnt use wireless but the good old cable ........)
    so 600 euro potentily saved, for better performance where i need it ...
    I was happy to pay 50 euro for advice that saved me 100s of euro .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

im starting pilates this Tuesday as a way to make me do some sort of core work. Im dreadful for it. I'll go a few weeks keeping it consistent and then completely bin if for weeks on end! Im hoping it'll encourage me to keep at something at least. Is also free with my gym membership so no harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Fair enough - I wasn't having a go at you directly Peter when I refered to some people dismissing it. I was actually thinking of another very experienced triathlete who completely dismisses it as a waste of time - that said, he's been very lucky over the years with practically no injuries despite intense & high volume training so I can see where he's coming from.

We're not all that lucky though for various reasons - some of which Pilates can help. I'd never say everyone needs to do it either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

peter kern wrote: »
    why do you think you need to do it?
    is it because everybody talks about it or do you have a reason for it?

I hear Bryan Mc Crystal drinks a lot of yogi tea.... if you understand what i mean like ....

for flexibility, avoiding injuries etc. i've had a good few niggly injuries and always have really tight quads and thighs etc so firgured the yoga would be good for that, but then i hear / read a lot triathletes do pilates

did you ever think about the fact that tight quads could be a result of wrong position on the bike ?
    Maybe you stretch before training with a cold body ( where science says this is most likely more harmful than beneficial).
    maybe you are doing to many flat out 400s on the track run too much on concrete?
    maybe you use predominately 1 muscle group when you swim?

maybe 5-10 min stretching after each session might be better than going to one 45min session a week?

I have no idea but looking what others do MIGHT not be the best solution for your problem is where Iam trying to get .

All I can say is that I dodnt know of too many elite Athletes that go to yoga or pilates classes.
    That dosnt mean I dodnt believe it can work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i'm not saying that x is my problem and yoga will 100% solve it. considering it and wanted to know peoples opinions. at the end of the day, the stretching and flexibilty and core work done in yoga is surely beneficial in some form even if it doesnt make the legs any better.

• Advertisement

the word surely is an interesting concept. I would replace surely with can.

more is not always more .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Has a scientific connection between a lack flexibility and injury been made?

in 110 meter hurdles it has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    in 110 meter hurdles it has

Funny answer. Are you sure you are German?

I'll rephrase :

In triathlon has a causal relationship between lack of flexibility and injury been identified?

if the yoga and pilates industrie pays for the study it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Yoga is for better overall flexibility and well being.
    Pilates is very specific to core strength and stability.

...and a good instructor makes all the difference!

Advertisement