Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift giving in relationships

Options
  • 17-05-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

I am intersted in knowing your thoughs on gift giving within realtionships? Do men or woman but more thought into gifts? do gifts help cemenet relationshps? Do woman rrad into what messge the gift implies more than men? Curretnly in a recession are people more open to homemade gifts, or would woman still frown at this... does the most expensive mean the best? Any thoughts on how male and female view this would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

When did all women frown at home made gifts?

May I ask the purpose of these questions? And why not get the ball rolling with some of your own opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruby01

Hi,

I was thinking about the issues of the effect a bad present has on a relationship after something a friend of mine said.. She feels that men dont put as much thought into gifts as female's. Does anyone agree with this? Do most women feel they ahve to nudge the other half int he right direction for a gift?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

Mmmm tis an iffy one...Sometimes you do have to give men a nudge. I do not think it is because they dont put too much thought into it though, it is just that they cant multi task haha so while it may take them a few months to gather idea's, it would only take a lady a few mins.. So we get there first..

I know I defo would not have mass value on something that cost a pretty penny much prefer the nice thoughtfull little pressies...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruby01

Hi Milly,

I feel the same. MAybe I should put it another way. For instrance would you think about the money of a gift that you maybe bought for a freind or other half if you knew maybe they did not spend as much? Do you think that giftds good and bad can damage a relationhip or friendship to some degree?

I have felt this way before, not proud of it but i have tende to feel a bit annoyed after going to great effoty and expense and I reeived a pile of tea towles for the third xmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I once got smashed bric a brac wrapped up in newspaper it was awful

• Advertisement

Ruby01 wrote: »
    Hi Milly,

I feel the same. MAybe I should put it another way. For instrance would you think about the money of a gift that you maybe bought for a freind or other half if you knew maybe they did not spend as much? Do you think that giftds good and bad can damage a relationhip or friendship to some degree?

I have felt this way before, not proud of it but i have tende to feel a bit annoyed after going to great effoty and expense and I reeived a pile of tea towles for the third xmas.

Hello

Sorry tis been so long..

I get what you are saying and I really do think it is up to you what you think. Of course getting a pile of dishcloths would be a pants pressie if you gave someone a rather nice gift and this was what you got back.

But then, on the other hand if lets say you got this person a nice pressie but they either had no mass on it, then given dish cloths would not be bad..

Some people are just better at gift giving than others. Like I was slightly peed there at Christmas when one of my close friends gave me a lavender bath set bubbles and stuff for the bath, but I never take baths well not never but I am a shower person. But I knew that she didnt mean it that way so I just passed it on.. I would have much preferred a pair of bed socks or something to that..

Again with the value thing, that is complelty on how people are. Some people have no value for expensive things and some people do. If you are buying a gift for someone who does then fine splash away but if not then no need for it, as it will defo not be more appreciated.

It wouldnt bother me if lets say something was louie vaton or some brand name but if my manfriend liked it then I would buy that brand for him..Again think some people are just crap at pressie shopping

sorry i just kinda waffled on there hehe

Advertisement