Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carboy

Options
  • 17-05-2012 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me is there a difference between using a glass or a plastic carboy?

also where is best place to get a carboy, in ireland or online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Glass tends to be easier to clean and generally doesn't hold onto odours like some plastics can.
    Not sure where you'll get one but online is usually the better option for finding.
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/5-gall-glass-carboy-135-p.asp

Keep an eye on adverts.ie OP, I picked up a good few 5l ones there a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Recently enough I got two 5 gallon glass carboys and I like using them, since getting them I've stopped transfering to secondary and just give 3 weeks in the primary and it seems to be working well.

Cleaning is a bit of pain trying to fill them and empty them but with some good cleaning agent its easy enough and you don't run a high risk of scratching them.

The advantage of the glass is it dosn't breath like the plastic does which is why they are particularly good for secondary or wine/cider/mead where they need to be stored for a long time.

Advertisement