Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to study having worked over seas

Options
  • 17-05-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as myself. I've lived abroad for the last four and half years and am returning to Ireland in a couple of months.
    I have applied and been accepted to an undergraduate prog at DIT starting in Sept.
    I already have an hons degree from some years ago.
    Looks like I am not entitled to any financial help due to my previous degree and the fact that I've been living outside of Ireland for more than " the last three out of five years". I will also probably have to pay full tuition fees.
    Has anyone else looked in this? Also what is the student lending situation like as my only option maybe to fund myself through loans. As I've said I've been away but from listening to radio online it sounds like the banks are not lending. Credit union?
    I'm not married, have no kids or dependents and zero debt of any kind but not much in the way of savings.
    Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Elodenna,

The two main forms of educational funding are the grant and the social welfare payment, BTEA. You don't meet the eligibility for the grant or free fees as you said due to your residency and pre-existing qualification. As regards BTEA, you would need 9 months on a social welfare payment such as Jobseekers to become eligible for this payment.

Aside from these there isn't much help available. The Credit Unions have run a scholarship competition for members in the past and the Vincent de Paul had a education support fund also, but as for state support the BTEA and grant are pretty much it afaik.

Once you are a student of the college you can apply for some forms of financial help to the student assistance fund but that won't cover things like college fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 elodenna

Thanks Paperclip,

Some tough decisions ahead, defer for a year and go on jobseekers to be entitled to BTEA next year or try and work it out with loans and part time work.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

you wouldn't get BTEA if you already have a degree. You also probably wouldn't get jobseekers at the moment due to the habitual residency condition

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

you wouldn't get BTEA if you already have a degree. You also probably wouldn't get jobseekers at the moment due to the habitual residency condition

In some cases I have seen BTEA awarded where people have a pre-existing degree, for example where a person need to completely retrain because of an acquired injury.
    In the past the DSP Facilitators have had some discretion over who can get the payment but I would say that this has changed and they are probably going strictly by the book given the current circumstances.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

You also probably wouldn't get jobseekers at the moment due to the habitual residency condition

I think this will depend on your working circumstances abroad.

For instance, being on a working holiday visa for Oz for 2 years still leaves your residency as Ireland so technically you are still eligible for jobseekers once you get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 elodenna

Hi All,
    Thanks for the replies. I was actually in Korea for four yrs. not sure where that leaves my residency. Am still in Asia but planning on coming home in about a month as I think I have alot to check into and sort out!
    Appreciate all you said it has made me realise I need to get on it all ASAP, as easier to sort out once home!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

EU residents (including Irish residents with previous degrees) pay a certain level of fees each year. There is a non-EU rate that may apply if you don't meet the residency requirements that is much higher. Have you checked the different fees for your course?

Advertisement