Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of string to support tomatoes

Options
  • 17-05-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what type of string would be best to support tomatoes (one end of string under plant & other end attached to overhead cable)?

Lidl have 1.8mm, 2mm & 4mm cord http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20850.htm

I've got all three but unsure which to use.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

i have been using regular blue bailing twine for years without any bother- cheap as chips and huge amount on the roll,

a couple of loops of string in the planting hole, then the plant on top to anchor the string and attach the other end of the string to the support wire,

make sure to leave some slack in the string tho, otherwise if it is too tight to begin with, it will cut into the plant when it starts to put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 healyon

Ive been using rolls of green twine that i get in woodies, never given me any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

4mm. won't be so inclined to cut int the plant and leave slack, as another person said.

Advertisement