Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is everyone in this forum so f****** smart??!!

• 17-05-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

It just seems to me that 90% of people on the leaving cert forum on boards are just byond brilliant in school. Everyone seems to be getting 500+ points and effortlessly doing hours upon hours of studying from day to day. You all just make it seem so easy :mad:

Seriously, some of you have to be having a laugh with your results, I've read stories of people not doing any studying at all for their mocks and getting 550+ points, or doing nothing for 2 years in a subject and getting an A1 in it after a study marathon the day before :P

Surely I'm not the onlyone who thinks this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I agree it's quite annoying, especially if you don't take much interest in school. Me for example, I've never really liked school, always despised studying, homework, and the whole rote memorization etc etc that's involved in school life. I therefore don't get excellent results - they're usually in the averages. So it can really put you off when everyone else around you seems to be getting top results, usually claiming they did virtually no study. Your self asteem can plummet when you get the results of an exam you studied for but failed, and someone a few feet away is waving their A1 result in the air, getting all the attention and then saying they did no study. People usually say to ignore what results everyone else gets and focus on your own, unfortunately it's not half as easy as it sounds. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,628 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Only smart people use boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

95% of people who say they have done hardly any study and yet get over 500 points are lying,have no doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

You are forgetting the fact that those people you speak of who got 500+ points in the mocks, are avid board users who most likely went through the ''whats on the mocks forum'' to get their As and Bs, now they probally have to study like fcuk to keep up them grades for June. Ya definatley there were some who did honest mocks, but I would have to say most had a glance at the thread to get to 500 points with no study the night before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Or they could be hardworking, goal and achievement oriented students.

Instead of complaining, you could actually implement the common sense secret to success:
    Study daily for several hours for a year or two and achieve 600 points. If YOU LEARN CONTINUOUSLY THERE WILL BE NO NEED FOR CRAM sessions before mocks or any exams.

Funny how effort pays off. If you're not into books or studying, don't complain that others are "effortlessly" achieving higher than you. Olympians don't win golds by "not being involved" in sport.
    The leaving cert, just like the olympics, is a competition. Cannot adapt? Darwin has a theory for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

^^^

The cold but solid truth. The leaving cert does not test intelligance it tests determination and commitment. It tests desire those who want it the most get it

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

reznov wrote: »
    Or they could be hardworking, goal and achievement oriented students.

Instead of complaining, you could actually implement the common sense secret to success:
    Study daily for several hours for a year or two and achieve 600 points. If YOU LEARN CONTINUOUSLY THERE WILL BE NO NEED FOR CRAM sessions before mocks or any exams.

Funny how effort pays off. If you're not into books or studying, don't complain that others are "effortlessly" achieving higher than you. Olympians don't win golds by "not being involved" in sport.
    The leaving cert, just like the olympics, is a competition. Cannot adapt? Darwin has a theory for that.

I don't disagree with you, it's just that it is crushing to your self confidence when some people here make it out to be so easy to get high grades in every subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I agree, it is, but some people just have higher aptitudes for some things than others. A lot of people here are the types who do physics/chemistry/maths/applied maths and get A1s in them all, and I'd love to be like that but I'm just not :pac: Focus on what you are good at. :)

I don't disagree with you, it's just that it is crushing to your self confidence when some people here make it out to be so easy to get high grades in every subject.

They don't make out anything. They simply post their grades and are overjoyed. Haven't seen anyone posting something along the lines of:

"HAHAHAHAAH 6 A1s, everyone sucks ass!!!!! I SLEPT DURING THE EXAM AND GOT IT ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!"

Just as you may post your grades, so do they.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

They don't make out anything. They simply post their grades and are overjoyed. Haven't seen anyone posting something along the lines of:

"HAHAHAHAAH 6 A1s, everyone sucks ass!!!!! I SLEPT DURING THE EXAM AND GOT IT ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!"

Just as you may post your grades, so do they.

Well I've seen people post along the lines of "I'm worried I won't do well in my LC, I got 575 in my mocks without opening a book but I know I can improve"
    Patchy~ wrote: »
    I agree, it is, but some people just have higher aptitudes for some things than others. A lot of people here are the types who do physics/chemistry/maths/applied maths and get A1s in them all, and I'd love to be like that but I'm just not pacman.gif Focus on what you are good at. smile.gif

Physics is what I am good at, but still struggle to get high grades tongue.gif

• Advertisement

That is true that the leaving cert does not test intelligence, essentially the leaving cert is a memory test, the test is how much different ****e you can memorise off and reel it off on the day of the exam, there is almost no critical thinking in regards to the leaving, just a small bit of your imagination and creativity on english paper 1 and arguebly higher maths, but then again there is a certain amount of repetition with that

stapler10 wrote: »
    That is true that the leaving cert does not test intelligence, essentially the leaving cert is a memory test, the test is how much different ****e you can memorise off and reel it off on the day of the exam, there is almost no critical thinking in regards to the leaving, just a small bit of your imagination and creativity on english paper 1 and arguebly higher maths, but then again there is a certain amount of repetition with that

What are you complaining about? Clearly you don't need 6As to be smart according to your statement, so what is the bother?

Even all of my posts totaled together are less pointless than this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Well I'd be inclined to think that those who use boards are often genuinely interested in doing well in the leaving cert & this generally is comes across on boards. If you are interested in doing well in something then you will be willing to discuss that something. Therefore, that's why people on boards are usually, but not always, high achievers in regards to the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Agree very much it's just a memory test. I was one of those people who didn't do much study, was very lazy, and cramming the night before was enough to get me a B or a C at higher level. I got 430 points though and didn't do any really tough mathsy, sciency subjects - I assume those who get well over 500 points and do tough subjects have a very different idea of "hardly any study" to the majority. :)

What are you complaining about? Clearly you don't need 6As to be smart according to your statement, so what is the bother?

Even all of my posts totaled together are less pointless than this board.
    I have no problem, I didnt make this thread I just posted on it, tell me or quote me! how am I complaning I could not give a **** if all these get 500 points and more, good for them, doesnt bother me at all, I just gave my OPINION on the matter and the whole leaving cert system in general, alright with you Reznov???
    Did I say anything about me being an under achiever and having jealously towards achievers? NO I didint think so!
    So show me man how an I complaning and what is my problem then

I have no problem, I didnt make this thread I just posted on it, tell me or quote me! how am I complaning I could not give a **** if all these get 500 points and more, good for them, doesnt bother me at all, I just gave my OPINION on the matter and the whole leaving cert system in general, alright with you Reznov???
    Did I say anything about me being an under achiever and having jealously towards achievers? NO I didint think so!
    So show me man how an I complaning and what is my problem then

Where did I state you could even post your opinion on this board?
    Strange...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭batistuta9

boards.ie is full of people who think they know everything about everything & that their always right with their opinions but a lot of the time their full of shít or lying, have no first hand experience about said subject matter they claim to know so well.

so i wouldn't believe most of them OP

Where did I state you could even post your opinion on this board?
    Strange...
    No reply to my questions then Reznov? Why not man? Go on tell me what am I complaning about and what my particular problem is, ya said it earlier so ya might aswel follow through with it, go on Reznov!

Who do you think you are? You have no control over this board or any other boards, you are one of hundreds of users on this site and you have as little control and influence as the rest of us. You have no say on what i post on, so shut the **** up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It just seems to me that 90% of people on the leaving cert forum on boards are just byond brilliant in school. Everyone seems to be getting 500+ points and effortlessly doing hours upon hours of studying from day to day. You all just make it seem so easy :mad:

Seriously, some of you have to be having a laugh with your results, I've read stories of people not doing any studying at all for their mocks and getting 550+ points, or doing nothing for 2 years in a subject and getting an A1 in it after a study marathon the day before :P

Surely I'm not the onlyone who thinks this?

I don't agree that 90% or more of the posters on boards are 'brilliant' in School. I'm far from brilliant in school tbh, yet got 510 points in the Mock from my own hard graft. My Teachers are all terrible to be honest, but I put in the work over the last 2 years and hope to reap the benefits. I've studied LIKE **** over the last 2 years and didn't get anywhere near 550 in the Mocks.

When you think about it, would people who are genuinely not interested in School bother posting in an online forum about School? No, they wouldn't.

Just to clarify bu the way, no-one does 'hours upon hours' of study effortlessly, it is a massive effort to do it and commit to it, but you have to do it if you want to do well. It's a much more effective method of succeeding than posting online whinging about how other people 'lie' about studying when in fact you have no proof to verify those people are lying.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    boards.ie is full of people who think they know everything about everything & that their always right with their opinions but a lot of the time their full of shít or lying, have no first hand experience about said subject matter they claim to know so well.

yeh their full of it.

• Advertisement

No reply to my questions then Reznov? Why not man? Go on tell me what am I complaning about and what my particular problem is, ya said it earlier so ya might aswel follow through with it, go on Reznov!

Who do you think you are? You have no control over this board or any other boards, you are one of hundreds of users on this site and you have as little control and influence as the rest of us. You have no say on what i post on, so shut the **** up!

I'm reznov! You're a stapler?
    I believe I have quite a lot of influence over this board. Don't know about you!

No swearing please, thank you :)

Just like to say that I got 12 A1s in my mocks and I did no study

Come at me bro

I believe I have quite a lot of influence over this board. Don't know about you!

Sir, I'm going to need you to calm down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Not necessarily. With my subjects for example, maths, applied maths, Irish, English, German and 3 sciences, there is almost no rote learning involved.

I got 570 in my mocks with study the night before BUT I got a C2 in chemistry and a B3 in physics, for that reason. Languages and maths don't involve rote learning. If you consistently do the homework well, there is pretty much no study required.

I know that if I were doing subjects like history and geography I would need to do a hell of a lot more study. The reason I chose maths/science subjects is that they're more about understanding than rote learning. I'm good at English because I spent my entire childhood reading, and I'm good at German because I worked really hard at it for junior cert and have done summer courses etc.

Soooo basically it's never really a story of "never opened a book in my life, got 600 points!" People may not strictly spend hours studying but I bet they always concentrate in school and generally put a lot of work into homework etc.

And then there are those people who are just filthy liars and want to look cool. :L

Just like to say that I got 12 A1s in my mocks and I did no study

Come at me bro

This dude is for real.
    Saw his pictures in the newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

batistuta9 wrote: »

Yes, smart people dont exist, anyone who claims to do well is lying and everyone here thinks they know everything (when blatantly no one says that because none of us got 625 in the mocks).

"Their" not always right but they do our best and they're nice people, so stop being so bitter.

Oh and a lot of people here do have first hand experience with subject matter. I know at least two members did a physics/applied maths competition, and I've been to France, so yeah, there is experience actually.

35cvcn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

ahahahaha oh god, that is the best thing ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I have to spent ages spending time trying to learn and understand the subject in order to do really well and get excellent grades. Last minute cramming doesn't usually work and only results in me getting C/D's . I do better at some subjects than other. Some require me to put in more effort .
    Generally I will not do well if I cram , I've tried which is why I repeated this year studied to late tried to cram and it didn't work. I'll pass the exam but it won't be enough to get enough points I need.

I do wish there were other ways rather than just the leaving cert like maybe continuous assessment . But I guess if you really want something so much you'll put all the effort in and get it in the end.
    I think people just are stronger at certain subjects then others so they could easily cram it if they really wanted to as it's one of their strong subjects and they may not need to work as hard, they might just need to have a quick look over something to refresh their memory .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

There's a vast difference between those that are "intellectually gifted" and those who are "smart".
    The smart people are the ones who get 550+ points in the leaving cert, they are not smart in that they know everything/have a great aptitude for all things acedemic, they are smart in that they are willing to study 6-7 hours a day for a whole year rote-learning essays off.

Im not bashing on anyone, i actually say fair play to those people who are willing to do that.

The people that are intellectually gifted are those who do not learn loads of crap off and regurgitate it. They are people who under this current leaving cert format may not do very well. It is because they may have no motivation/are not able to learn loads of crap off.
    Some of the worlds greatest minds in the world could and would not do well under this current education system.

Kudos to those students who get 600 points regardless as to whether they are actually gifted or just brilliant regurgitators of information, it is a testament to their character.

Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement