Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is everyone in this forum so f****** smart??!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hang on cramming is an effective method. If you understand the stuff when you do it in school and do the homework it is possible to cram effectively. Non stop studying isn't the answer to everything.

Also, why do you even care how other people do? It's not going to effect your work ethic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I agree. Its not a bad thing or anything,that people are so dedicated or whatever, but I think some people are frankly just showing off.
    Its like 'I dont need to know your mock results in every single forum, thanks.'
    Afterall, mocks dont mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Hang on cramming is an effective method. If you understand the stuff when you do it in school and do the homework it is possible to cram effectively. Non stop studying isn't the answer to everything.

Also, why do you even care how other people do? It's not going to effect your work ethic.

It's not really cramming if you already know and understand the info! That's just revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I think from the amount of pages in the Off-Topic threads, we can safely say that there's many here who aren't working much, myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Dapics wrote: »
    There's a vast difference between those that are "intellectually gifted" and those who are "smart".
    The smart people are the ones who get 550+ points in the leaving cert, they are not smart in that they know everything/have a great aptitude for all things acedemic, they are smart in that they are willing to study 6-7 hours a day for a whole year rote-learning essays off.

Im not bashing on anyone, i actually say fair play to those people who are willing to do that.
    I'd fall in to that points bracket. On average, for the bulk of the year, i'd say I did ninety minutes or less (With quite a few days including all of Christmas procrastinating and doing nothing). The three weeks before the LC and the night before exams I upped it to about 5-6 hours a day (With a few extreme 18 hour cramming sessions e.t.c. during the actual exam period).

As for rote-learning essays, I never bothered and never will bother for any subject. It's much easier and much less stressful to just learn the material itself and make it up on the spot.
    The people that are intellectually gifted are those who do not learn loads of crap off and regurgitate it.
    Not necessarily. Intelligence without some knowledge will only get you so far.

In fact, some of the most challenging college courses have sections that could be considered almost pure rote-learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

ye can get as many points as ye want...ye will still be working for me in the future

Is that a job offer?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

First off, I wouldn't get too freaked about what you read on boards. Some people may be achieving high points and top grades but to be honest, a lot of the 'high achievers' here feed their egos from their mocks results which are often not fully indicative of how they will do in their final exams. At the end of the day, what dictates an 'intelligent' student? Somebody who is able to memorise a lot of content?

Remember that this is your Leaving Cert, not anybody elses, so stop gauging yourself against other people and achieve what you believe is your best, not anyone elses.

Finally, for everyone on this forum, it seems hard to comprehend right now, but your Leaving Cert is only a minor facet of your education and professional life, should you continue to college or pursue work. You'll find this time in 5 years time you'll barely remember your exams and nobody will really need or want to know how many points you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Remember that this is your Leaving Cert, not anybody elses, so stop gauging yourself against other people and achieve what you believe is your best, not anyone elses.

Completely agree with the rest, and also that you should just focus on your own results. Unfortunately that's pretty difficult thing to do when for example you get a result back - everyone around you is screaming with joy, bragging about their high grade, and you're just sitting there with your failed test. It can make you feel pretty darn low when everyone else seems to be achieving top results and you're not. A lot of students, when they see a classmate fail can make them feel a whole lot better, and vice versa - when you see a classmate achieve get a much higher result than you can make you feel like everyone else is better than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Completely agree with the rest, and also that you should just focus on your own results. Unfortunately that's pretty difficult thing to do when for example you get a result back - everyone around you is screaming with joy, bragging about their high grade, and you're just sitting there with your failed test. It can make you feel pretty darn low when everyone else seems to be achieving top results and you're not. A lot of students, when they see a classmate fail can make them feel a whole lot better, and vice versa - when you see a classmate achieve get a much higher result than you can make you feel like everyone else is better than you.

And that's the beauty of an exam oriented education system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement