Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another question about my cat - should I be worried?

• 17-05-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Cream is an extremely vocal boy, as vocal as a Siamese or other chatty breeds. He will walk around the house non stop meowing, will sit on windowsills meowing in at us, if we look at him he'll meow to say hi, does lots of cute grumbly and whiney noises if we ignore him or if he doesnt get his way.. You get the picture, he never shuts up!
    Now I love this about him, one of my favourite things about him is how talkative he is. My problem is last week we were getting the house painted and he sounded a bit hoarse, I presumed the paint fumes were just a bit irritant. But since Sunday he has not vocalised at all, not even a squeak. He had laryngitis before but even then he would still meow, be it silently or hoarsely, but aparently he hasnt even made an attempt. Now Im away at collage until tomorrow, according to my mom he is still eating fine and has no drippy nose or anything, still in good form and not sick in himself (he was like this too when he had laryngitis). Shes been putting a bit more vegetable oil in his food to try soothe his throat, but still no meows.

Am I just being completely ridiculous in worrying about this, is it normal for a cat to lose their voice? He is the first very vocal cat ive had! Would it be worth getting him to a vet on Sat??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thats quite a drastic behaviour change isnt it. Has your mam tried to coax him into meowing even? Going from very vocal to literally not even a squeak definitely could mean he has laryngitis or something again. If theres no deterioration in anything else id bring him to the vet to get him checked out at the weekend. Id limit the vegetable oil tbh, it loosens their stools if given too frequently.

My cat barely meows at all but if he went the other way id be worried something was up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is this the same one that had the grass seed stuck up their nose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yeah thats why Im so worried, the only time he would stop talking is if he was eating or sleeping. hes getting the oil once a day is that too much? Hes getting about half a tea spoon of it. Yeah shes tried to get him to meow, hes trained to meow if we say speak while holding food over his head, he wont do it now though :(

Zapperzy, no it was Peach with the blade of grass in her nose, shes back to normal now thankfully :)

Just got a text from my mother, he let out a little croaky meow 5 mins ago, better than nothing!

Just an update on this if anyone is interested! Brought him to the vet this morning just in case, turns out the poor bud has tonsillitis and gingivitis! So another course of antibiotics to go, I'm glad I brought him now, hate to think of him being in pain :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I have a very vocal cat, extremely vocal and every 6 to 7 month's he loses his voice, at first i was always concerned, but eventually our vet nicely told me to stop worrying, when he's ready he will start again..:)

The vet also said that this behavior will change eventually and he will not do it has much, I shall miss it when he stops all together :)

Advertisement