Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn & job

Options
  • 17-05-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm going to study at UCD (Quinn School of business - last year of their bachelor program) next semester (Sep-Dec/Jan). I may have an opportunity for a good job located in Donnybrook.

What I wonder is if I could accept this job whilst studying at UCD and how many hours I can write on my contract so that I will still be able to work on my UCD homework.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

What type of job is it? What sort of hours will you be working-Evenings/Weekends/Weekdays? Without knowing that it's impossible to say. People may disagree with me but you could easily work 15 hours a week while doing most courses and be grand academically.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Panline

Hi,

sorry I missed that part:

- I'll be taking 30 credits ECTS / 5 to 6 modules (most probably 5 as I'm very interested in a 10 Credits module)

- The job is an office job so I will work during office hours (Offices are opened 8-20, maybe?)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Are you working full hours? From 8 til 5 or whatever time they close at?

I don't know yet... I have a call this monday or tuesday to discuss it. By this call I should be able to tell them how many hours I can work for them.

I'm actually currently working in Paris for the same company and it's kind of a HR consultancy work. At my current job I'm fully free to choose my hours as long as I work at least 35hrs/week and, most importantly, as long as the work is done.

I think it will be pretty much the same at this job. I don't think I will have a lot of pressure on the timetable. The point is finding a project that is convenient with how much I can work beside my study.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I don't think you'll be able to tell them your hours unless you've seen the Quinn time table. 5 modules is quite a full work load and there will be group work and work outside the course hours (as I'm sure you know). A full 35 hour/week job on top of a full semester is a lot of pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Without knowing your lecture hours it's going to be difficult to negotiate a contract for work. 35 week would be doable if the lectures were at night but during the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I've just finished final year commerce and French, most commerce students would have 3 days of lectures if you arrange your timetable right, with about 12 contact hours. Workload is fairly big, and you will have group projects in every subject. Groups can get a bit p*ssed off if you can't meet with them to work on stuff.

I think 35 hours a week would be nuts to take on personally. 12 or so would be ideal.

Doug89, thanks for this advice, I was thinking about a 10/15hours contract, and 12 is right in the middle.

Advertisement