Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Waterford Crystal site under offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Are the Irish Times suggesting he's putting a shopping centre in there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

It would be nice to see it redeveloped but not as a shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heard that this morning 3 million which is nowt if someone has deep pockets and can sit on the site for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Didn't Frisby temporarily get out of property in the last few years of it going mad? Did I read that somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If it were me I'd buy it and sit on it alright. Could easily open the parking part then and rent it to WIT or even run it yourself for €2 a day parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Can't understand why the WIT are not buying this even just for the parking for the time being?

Surely if they had this land as part of the proposed switch to a University it would look really good for their case and get more people and courses going on there all within the same area.

€3mil for that amount of land right next door to the WIT seems like a no brainer to me for the people running the college but then again maybe thats why there is no University!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ziedth wrote: »
    If it were me I'd buy it and sit on it alright. Could easily open the parking part then and rent it to WIT or even run it yourself for €2 a day parking.

At the price being quoted, its a steal. Plus its a perfect place for a uni/college extension. Its near the existing college, on main roads and bus routes, near a lot of residential areas for accomodation. Plus theres plenty of space to build dorms/apartment buildings on site.

There is one thing that I haven't heard anyone either here or in town talk about and that is preserving some of the buildings that made up the Glass complex. I think at least one or two of the large buildings where the furnaces are should be preserved (perhaps the interior could be converted to classrooms or perhaps sports halls/exam halls), they're an important part of Waterfords modern history and factory buildings can be considered as pieces of important industrial architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

At the price being quoted, its a steal. Plus its a perfect place for a uni/college extension. Its near the existing college, on main roads and bus routes, near a lot of residential areas for accomodation. Plus theres plenty of space to build dorms/apartment buildings on site.

There is one thing that I haven't heard anyone either here or in town talk about and that is preserving some of the buildings that made up the Glass complex. I think at least one or two of the large buildings where the furnaces are should be preserved (perhaps the interior could be converted to classrooms or perhaps sports halls/exam halls), they're an important part of Waterfords modern history and factory buildings can be considered as pieces of important industrial architecture.

preserve an asbestos riddled shed???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Max Powers wrote: »
    preserve an asbestos riddled shed???

Preserve a piece of Waterfords industrial past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

In fairness, if WIT had a few million to spend, they would be starting work on the new Engineering and Business Buildings that have been shelved because of a lack of funds being provided by government.

The same government who are telling us how education is the only way to get ourselves out of the mess that we're in. Even though the people who caused it are retiring on their millions. It would make you sick.

Sorry for going slightly off topic, I just can't stand the way this government goes on sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

TK Maxx should put in a bid of €3.1m just to p*ss Frisby off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Marks and Sparks Super Sized!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

ziedth wrote: »

I'd agree with the first part of your statement but I can't see many people paying €2 for parking there when they can park in the RSC and get a bus to WIT for free or if they're in the college all day they can park on campus. It'll be interesting to see what goes in there and it'd be great if WIT could buy it but can't see us having enough money. Also, if WIT ever becomes a university it'll be a multi-campus one and hard to know how bigger the waterford site would need to be. The buildings that were cancelled recently would probably have been enough for the next few years anyway without needing to buy extra land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It would make a great concert venue. Enough space there to build a 10,000-seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

gscully wrote: »
    TK Maxx should put in a bid of €3.1m just to p*ss Frisby off.

Good one scully.

Its a pity we dont have any philantropists in the style of Michael Smurfit (UCD) and JP/duty free chap (UL) who could help out the college/city in a time of crisis. This site, goin cheap is certainly a good opportunity for the college

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Would love to throw a bid of €3.25 m.... But only have €450,000 in property and cash... Not enough to go for that bid.... Used to work there for years until the final day in April 2009 ... If i bought it, would set up a car parking facility (€5 a week) and cafe plus a nice pool tables hall with eight american style tables....And keep half part of land for future developments.... Sigh !!! I'm dreaming again...

Would love to throw a bid of €3.25 m.... But only have €450,000 in property and cash... Not enough to go for that bid.... Used to work there for years until the final day in April 2009 ... If i bought it, would set up a car parking facility (€5 a week) and cafe plus a nice pool tables hall with eight american style tables....And keep half part of land for future developments.... Sigh !!! I'm dreaming again...

I have about 20 euro. Boo fricken Hoo for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ledger wrote: »
    I have about 20 euro. Boo fricken Hoo for ya.

Oh ya have 20 euro do ya. Boo fricken hoo for ya.

Oh ya have 20 euro do ya. Boo fricken hoo for ya.

Ah, Touché.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The site is still subject to an EPA licence, which the new owner will have to buy, knowing the Frizzer he will have a caveat in the contract that all costs accruing to lifting the licence go against the cost of the sale.
    He will get it for a euro in the end.
    But it is a big monster, you would want deep pockets to buy it and carve it, no bank would touch it, but with cash it could be done.
    Believe it or not there is a dearth of good quality large industrial units in Waterford, that are ready to go, most stuff is thirty forty year old poorly maintained IDA asbestos roofed crap, no decent Pharma or IT company would touch it.
    Properly done this could be a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

could do with another tesco......

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

reni10 wrote: »
    Can't understand why the WIT are not buying this even just for the parking for the time being?

Surely if they had this land as part of the proposed switch to a University it would look really good for their case and get more people and courses going on there all within the same area.

€3mil for that amount of land right next door to the WIT seems like a no brainer to me for the people running the college but then again maybe thats why there is no University!

I've heard a fair few say this but it makes no sense to me. WIT already own a huge greenfield site at Cariganore. Why would they want to buy more land that would need huge work and investment even before something could be built there..Extra parking is its only apparent benefit to me and they already use the RSC.

If it is bought, hopefully it is by someone with deep pockets and patience. Then there is a hope it's developed with a purpose in mind and we don't end up with a white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

watermark wrote: »

Impossible... Tesco Lisduggan and recently new Tesco from Ballybeg is there between the Waterford Crystal site.... Wonder what Frisby had in his mind when he wanted it for €3 million, Like above said, it will be a huge job to haul down the building and underground, Four or five underground in the blowing department is very deep Would probably cost another €3-5 million to do that without even buillding up a new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

watermark wrote: »

Impossible... Tesco Lisduggan and recently new Tesco from Ballybeg is there between the Waterford Crystal site.... Wonder what Frisby had in his mind when he wanted it for €3 million, Like above said, it will be a huge job to haul down the building and underground, Four or five underground in the blowing department is very deep Would probably cost another €3-5 million to do that without even buillding up a new one...

I was joking there......sarcasm....;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Im not shocked with this at all, I worked up in lisduggan shopping centre and I know frisby as the **** who would rather let a shop close then reduce rates.... For years he has been ruining that shopping centre down.... Untill dealZ was to move in then he decided to put a few pound in.....

His wife from what I remember had something to do with the planning in waterford and zoning.......
    He always wanted to build massive apartments for when WIT makes it to.university 75 euro for just a room and bed...... Big potential to make money fast 1s the apartment is build.....

Then again I only think this because of his attitude when it came from his shopping centre, going from 3 security down to 1 man who is worries about stopping kids from sitting on the benches rather then dealing with our attempted robbery were I was assaulted...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

gscully wrote: »
    It would make a great concert venue. Enough space there to build a 10,000-seater.

Agreed, will never happen but i would love to see the gaa buy it, sell Walsh park and move to the crystal site.

Over time a fine stadium could be built. Not a fear of my dream coming though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Agreed, will never happen but i would love to see the gaa buy it, sell Walsh park and move to the crystal site.

Over time a fine stadium could be built. Not a fear of my dream coming though.
    Should have been sold off long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

sonyvision wrote: »
    Im not shocked with this at all, I worked up in lisduggan shopping centre and I know frisby as the **** who would rather let a shop close then reduce rates.... For years he has been ruining that shopping centre down.... Untill dealZ was to move in then he decided to put a few pound in.....

His wife from what I remember had something to do with the planning in waterford and zoning.......
    He always wanted to build massive apartments for when WIT makes it to.university 75 euro for just a room and bed...... Big potential to make money fast 1s the apartment is build.....

Then again I only think this because of his attitude when it came from his shopping centre, going from 3 security down to 1 man who is worries about stopping kids from sitting on the benches rather then dealing with our attempted robbery were I was assaulted...

There's an outpouring of innuendo, allegation, and downright antagonism for ya, must be another happy customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ledger wrote: »
    In fairness, if WIT had a few million to spend, they would be starting work on the new Engineering and Business Buildings that have been shelved because of a lack of funds being provided by government.

The same government who are telling us how education is the only way to get ourselves out of the mess that we're in. Even though the people who caused it are retiring on their millions. It would make you sick.

Sorry for going slightly off topic, I just can't stand the way this government goes on sometimes.

The visitor centre would be handy for the college, they could display all the fine art from the presidents office, question though, is the glass visitor centre big enough to hold it

• Advertisement
Advertisement