Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's next?

• 17-05-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi, just finished Open water diver and nitrox course in Maldives + few dives on top of that. Now looking to do some diving in here to find out how is the diving in cold Irish waters :D Should i jump straight to Advanced OW or rather some speciality course-deep dive? I couldn't do the best dive spots in Maldives because of the 18m limit of OW. Was looking at Scuba dive west, i'm based in Galway so it's quite close. Thank very much for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How about getting some experience before you go chasing the certs. It'll stand to you in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

+1.
    Experience and training are both very important.
    SDW will steer you right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Did my AOW in Scuba dive west - great set up down there so would definitely recomment. First off do the dry suit speciality but be in no rush to get the certs - the dry suit makes a big difference however. I did my AOW after c50 dives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

slow down and get more dives under your belt - qualifications/certs do not compare to actual experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

Reason why i wanted to do AOW or Deep dive speciality is couldn't dive some very nice spots in Maldives[ shark point, wreck...] because of the 18m limit of OW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kave2 wrote: »
    Reason why i wanted to do AOW or Deep dive speciality is couldn't dive some very nice spots in Maldives[ shark point, wreck...] because of the 18m limit of OW.

Make small mistakes,you only get one big one

Make small mistakes,you only get one big one
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

kave2 wrote: »
    ?

As in, start slowly and allow yourself to make mistakes because you will make them. And you only get to make one big mistake, then your goosed.

How many cold water dives have you done so far?
    18m here vs 18 metres in the Maldives are two completely dives.

So whilst training is important, get a few dives under your belt because there is no training like experience.

loctite wrote: »
    As in, start slowly and allow yourself to make mistakes because you will make them. And you only get to make one big mistake, then your goosed.

How many cold water dives have you done so far?
    18m here vs 18 metres in the Maldives are two completely dives.

So whilst training is important, get a few dives under your belt because there is no training like experience.

No cold dives yet, but looking forward :D
    Decided to get some experience first and certs later.
    I know Scuba dive west rent gear and provide dive guide as well, but is there such a place in Galway? Found www.divegalway.com/ but there is nothing about renting gear. Don't think diving clubs will provide that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you're in Galway any chance you're a student or alumni of NUIG or GMIT?

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    If you're in Galway any chance you're a student or alumni of NUIG or GMIT?

Sorry, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Well if you're thinking of diving regularly then I'd say look at joining a club. It's a lot of initial expense but cheapest option in the long term. Galway Sub Aqua Club (GSAC) are very active, and there's also Galway Dive Club but they don't offer training.

If you're only interested in doing the odd dive or keeping up to speed between holidays then a dive center such as Scuba Dive West would be your best bet.

Advertisement