Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about official Apple unlock

• 17-05-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I have an iphone 4 which has now been officially unlocked by apple. I have been told to put in a non network sim and connect it to itunes and update the software. I currently have it on 5.0.1 and I like it like that, I don't want to update. Am I out of luck? With my old phone, unlocking was simply a matter of putting in the sim and connecting to itunes, I don't remember having to update it. Has anyone unlocked theirs recently, is this the case now?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Quackles wrote: »
    I have an iphone 4 which has now been officially unlocked by apple. I have been told to put in a non network sim and connect it to itunes and update the software. I currently have it on 5.0.1 and I like it like that, I don't want to update. Am I out of luck? With my old phone, unlocking was simply a matter of putting in the sim and connecting to itunes, I don't remember having to update it. Has anyone unlocked theirs recently, is this the case now?

I just put in a new sim, no restore needed. That was about 2/3 months ago with an iPhone 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

You don't need a different network SIM.

Once the unlock is approved by Apple all you need to do is to hook it up to your computer and do a restore on the phone using iTunes.

You will then get a message telling you it's unlocked.

At least that's all I had to do on my iPhone 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

mailforkev wrote: »
    You don't need a different network SIM.

Once the unlock is approved by Apple all you need to do is to hook it up to your computer and do a restore on the phone using iTunes.

You will then get a message telling you it's unlocked.

At least that's all I had to do on my iPhone 4.

I don't want to restore, though, as I don't want to upgrade my software.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I just put in a new sim, no restore needed. That was about 2/3 months ago with an iPhone 4.

Thanks! I guess all I can do is give it a try with a family member's sim before committing and changing networks myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Try sync with a different network sim installed. If iTunes says the sim isn't valid remove the sim and put it back insuring the sync. That's how I unlocked a 3GS years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

You won't need to update the software - you need to just do one of two things which will provoke iTunes into checking the simlock status;

1) Restore and/or upgrade to the newest iOS

2) Simply insert the SIM from a different network into your phone (which will then say 'Invalid SIM'), connect it to a computer running iTunes and iTunes should shortly thereafter display a message saying 'Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked!'. There is no need at all to restore and loose your settings/info.

whiterebel wrote: »

This worked perfectly, many thanks!

Advertisement