Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can we expect from the "minimum pricing" on booze?

• 17-05-2012 2:45pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I understand that the supermarkets are selling urine like Heineken and Budweiser below cost.

I have no quarrel with the nanny state stepping in and stopping this. (realistically)

However what about cheap beer like six Dutch Mould, which is always sold for a profit.

How might the minimum pricing affect this.

Say it was law for 6 cans of beer to be sold at at least €12, would that be fair on Dutch gold who's costs of brewing are far less than Heineken, and have zero advertising and promotion budget - how much do Heineken pay to have the rugby European cup called the Heineken Cup? Zillions probably.

Would it be fair to make Dutch Gold charge the same as one would for 6 Heineken?

It would be the end of Dutch as we know it, and I am a connoisseur of this very fine (cheap) beer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Well drink will cost more for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Well drink will cost more for one.
    And that's all.

This will have zero effect on our "drinking culture", unlike they are claiming it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Changing the licencing hours helped curb our drinking so much that they've decided more inexplicable legislation is the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

El Weirdo wrote: »
    And that's all.

This will have zero effect on our "drinking culture", unlike they are claiming it will.

Indeed. It's a very crafty and underhand way of increasing VAT income on a very popular range of products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

jayteecork wrote: »
    It would be the end of Dutch as we know it, and I am a connoisseur of this very fine (cheap) beer.
    Not a big fan of beer anyways but Dutch Gold is muck. Bavaria is the only tolerable cheap beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I understand that the supermarkets are selling urine like Heineken and Budweiser below cost.

However what about cheap beer like six Dutch Mould, which is always sold for a profit.

You call Heineken 'urine' and are concerned about the price of 'Dutch Gold' ?

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Jesus wept.

they are about on par to be honest, well for the Heineken that's brewed here

on the other hand export Heineken is pretty tasty though

also OP dump the Dutch gold and buy yourself the nice cheap 5% beer, more bang for your buck

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Auvers wrote: »
    also OP dump the Dutch gold and buy yourself the nice cheap 5% beer, more bang for your buck

recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

A certain German discount supermarket are doing a 700ml bottle of gin for €2.29 from 24th May.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    A certain German discount supermarket are doing a 700ml bottle of gin for €2.29 from 24th May.

2.29 are you serious?

lol I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

8 Heineken for 10e and a 70cl Smirnoff in Tesco for 15e on a good day. They aren't going to achieve anything by bumping up the price of cheap alcohol except make a bit more tax money.

They should put effort into reducing the price of alcohol in pubs and clubs and eliminate pre drinking. It would be more social and stop people from being well on the way before even getting anywhere.

And that's all.

The original claim in the manifesto was that they would introduce this to prop up the pubs because FG think that pubs are very important.

That was before they decided to spin it as bla bla drinking culture.

I'm sure this is not going to drive anyone to the pubs who weren't going there already, though.
    They should put effort into reducing the price of alcohol in pubs and clubs
    They won't because it's the pubs they want to promote by doing this

recommendations?

here's a few off the top of my head (all 5%)

Primus: ain't bad

Warka: has a nice strong taste

Karpackie: is probably the most similar to Dutch but its 5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Just another stealth tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I hope that people continue to avoid going to pubs and staying at home and drinking there, even if the price is the same, just to stick it to the Vintners' Association.

Auvers wrote: »
    here's a few off the top of my head (all 5%)

Primus: ain't bad

Warka: has a nice strong taste

Karpackie: is probably the most similar to Dutch but its 5%

Karpackie gives us a headache.

Plus it has to be the most tinker name I've ever heard, even though it's from Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I like Bavaria and Dutch Gold and Heineken, pretty much anything that isn't Guinness.

Now they want to bring in more rules and regulations? (Sarcastic) Hurray.

Karpackie gives us a headache.

Plus it has to be the most tinker name I've ever heard, even though it's from Eastern Europe.

yeah tis the cheapest of the cheap

Oh here's another that I remember (barley)

the green Bavaria is quite nice as its export, not like that blue can muck

bluewolf wrote: »
    The original claim in the manifesto was that they would introduce this to prop up the pubs because FG think that pubs are very important

important to the TDs that are also publicans you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

bluewolf wrote: »
    The original claim in the manifesto was that they would introduce this to prop up the pubs because FG think that pubs are very important.

That was before they decided to spin it as bla bla drinking culture.

I'm sure this is not going to drive anyone to the pubs who weren't going there already, though.

They won't because it's the pubs they want to promote by doing this

Absolutely right, I rarely drink in pubs, normally just a few social drinks at home with a few friends. Increasing the price of off license drink isn't going to convince me to go to the pub to get ripped off, just means if it gets too dear I will be buying less in the shops and off licences (thus creating less tax revenue for the exchequer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Asking the Irish to curb its drinking culture will be like asking the French to stop poking each other with baguettes. Let's face it, it ain't going to happen. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

And that's all.

It will reduce consumption however, depending on the extent of the price increases.

yeppydeppy wrote: »

I saw that, but when I clicked on it and worked it out from their "price by litre" its actually €12.29.

Had my hopes up so much :(:(:(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The gas thing is, and the thing the government are remaining very silent about, is that alcohol consumption in Ireland is falling naturally and drastically. Our drinking habits have changed and as a country we drink 17% less annually than in 2001.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0203/1224311177180.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I have no quarrel with the nanny state stepping in and stopping this. (realistically)

How might the minimum pricing affect this.

Say it was law for 6 cans of beer to be sold at at least €12, would that be fair on Dutch gold who's costs of brewing are far less than Heineken, and have zero advertising and promotion budget - how much do Heineken pay to have the rugby European cup called the Heineken Cup? Zillions probably.

Would it be fair to make Dutch Gold charge the same as one would for 6 Heineken?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jesus wept.

Leave him alone, he's trying to be a beer snob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nordie supermarkets welcome this new legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yawns wrote: »

Typo i'm sure.
    Should be €12.29 i'd guess. Not that it matters, i wouldn't drink it if it was €0.29. Piss of the highest order!!

• Advertisement

Prazsky, my good man.
    One of the nicest beers you can get and only €4.50 for 4 cans!
    Fúck the nanny state:mad:

Typo i'm sure.
    Should be €12.29 i'd guess. Not that it matters, i wouldn't drink it if it was €0.29. Piss of the highest order!!

Most likely a typo I agree. I didn't believe it until I saw it myself tho. I've never had the misfortune to have to drink it myself. I'll take your word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the main problem here is that this will bump up the price of all beers, not just the cheap ones. So if the minimum price is set to €1 (for example), then retailers will bump the price of all beers by €1 on the pretence that it's costing them more to buy.

A large number of publicans will likewise try to claim that they're subject to this minimum pricing malarky and throw another 50c on the pint.

Meanwhile the big retailers like Tesco will simply skirt around the problem by offering discounts on other products when you buy beer. So when someone buys a slab of beer, Tesco gives them €5 of products (like crisps, popcorn, etc) for free.

You can't tax people into consuming less. I would have thought that the price of cigarettes was a perfect example, there's no need to implement another failure.

seamus wrote: »
    You can't tax people into consuming less. I would have thought that the price of cigarettes was a perfect example, there's no need to implement another failure.

As if the government want people to drink less in the first place. The reason this is coming in is BECAUSE we are drinking less, which equals less money for the government and less money for the vintners association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Well, judging by the Scandinavian example, we will drink less legal alcohol, so alcohol consumption will drop officially (as will excise duties, VAT, employment and employment related tax in the off sales industry).

However, watch the massive growth in home brewing and a renaissance in illegal poteen distilleries and a leap in alcohol related disease which won't be covered by excise duties and vat anymore, cos that's collapsed.

More great FG thinking.

Tazz T wrote: »
    However, watch the massive growth in home brewing and a renaissance in illegal poteen distilleries and a leap in alcohol related disease which won't be covered by excise duties and vat anymore, cos that's collapsed.

Home brewing is perfectly legal (I do it myself), home distilling isn't.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »

I remember Eason used sell the kits, can you still buy them there these days and if not, where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I remember Eason used sell the kits, can you still buy them there these days and if not, where?

You can pick them up in the larger Tesco Stores

or http://www.homebrew.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

There are massive legal barriers to home distilling but, AFAIK, infusing for personal use is allowed. Been threatening to make my own gin this way for a while now.

Let's face it, the big winner from this will be northern supermarkets and the black market. The big mugs will be those consumers who haven't changed their habits.

maximoose wrote: »
    You can pick them up in the larger Tesco Stores

or http://www.homebrew.ie/

Afaik it was only the new Tesco in Naas that stocked the homebrew stuff. I would love if other Tescos did it as well.

If you are starting out tho it's better to order from www.homebrewwest.ie or www.thehomebrewcompany.ie along with the site quoted. Cheaper than Tesco and 3 of the better home brew sites in Ireland atm. There used to be a walk in shop in Dublin but that's now an online site only and the site is not the best for navigating imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I didn't say it was illegal. I said poteen disilleries were. You can expect a new excise tax on home brewing kits. Happy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Going to get me a moonshine distillery for the woods out yonder.

Tazz T wrote: »
    I didn't say it was illegal. I said poteen disilleries were. You can expect a new excise tax on home brewing kits. Happy now.

Meh, I don't use kits anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

seamus wrote: »

this is so right

the tax on cigarettes has led to a booming blackmarket ciggie business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And that's all.

It might put a dent in those retched street people, if they can't buy alcohol they might stop begging for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

What can we expect from minimum pricing

Many many more threads on the topic for one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yeah, I can see this one backfiring on the Government, unintended consequences and all that.

It will just lead to a larger black market trade in alcohol and will wind up costing the state money and do sweet fcukall to curb the knob heads falling around the street.

Just a thought, but how do they intend to put minimum pricing in place. Are they going to set a minimum cost onto a unit of alcohol or what way are they planning to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Below cost just means they're selling it cheaper than the pubs can get it for. And they can buy cheaper because they buy it in bulk. They're not selling it at a loss, this measure is just to boost the pub trade which is a Fkn joke tbh! I know pubs who buy their bottles from the local o'briens because it's cheaper for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm no rocket scientist, but if any of Tesco marketing staff are reading this, here's a suggestion.

Current price, 24 x beers, = €15

New minimum drink plan, 24 x beers = €30.

So, Tesco do, 24 beer = €30, buy one, get one free :D

They may be able to tell supermarket how to sell beer, but giving it for free may be another thing altogether :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The gas thing is, and the thing the government are remaining very silent about, is that alcohol consumption in Ireland is falling naturally and drastically. Our drinking habits have changed and as a country we drink 17% less annually than in 2001.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0203/1224311177180.html

Shush... that might defeat their two faced spin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement