Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoegaarden

Options
  • 17-05-2012 2:46pm
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I have 4 bottles in the fridge, great beer, i've only had it by the neck. Is it better in a glass? A standard glass you drink orange juice in or two bottles in the one pint glass?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's bottle conditioned(I think) or at least contains yeast anyway so you're supposed to pour it into a glass, or you'll get a mouthful of yeast near the end. Nearly all beers taste better out of the glass as you'll get a lot more of the aroma then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Serve it in a chilled glass with a wedge of lemon. Personally I think its the work of the devil, worst hangover of my life :p

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Serve it in a chilled glass with a wedge of lemon. Personally I think its the work of the devil, worst hangover of my life :p

I think putting a slice of lemon in is the work of the devil. :p

Kills the head and makes it taste far too lemony. Can't stand when barstaff do it without asking.

irish_goat wrote: »

I think putting a slice of lemon in is the work of the devil. :p

Kills the head and makes it taste far too lemony. Can't stand when barstaff do it without asking.

Haha, each to there own I suppose, but it does add to it imho. I'd agree about barstaff doing it without asking though, should be a capital offence :D

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Wow, i'm having it in a long thin glass, with a big handle that was got in Croatia. It fits a bottle amount just right. I will never drink this beer from the neck again. This perfection for me. Beautiful taste, not too sweet like certain weissbiers.

Is this the beer of the gods? (no snob comments please)

• Advertisement

Reconsider your position in the morning when you feel like someone has hit you with a golf club round the head!!!!

Only kidding of course, for a macro-beer its not half bad imho, better on draught though.

I have a week away from the real world next week. I'm just going to buy a sh!tload of this and chill. **** me, this is YUMMY!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

for a macro-beer its not half bad imho
    That'd be my opinion too. There are plenty of craft-brewed witbiers that aren't a patch on Hoegaarden. St Bernardus Wit is one of the few I'd say has the beatings of it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That'd be my opinion too. There are plenty of craft-brewed witbiers that aren't a patch on Hoegaarden. St Bernardus Wit is one of the few I'd say has the beatings of it.

You should host beer seminars (serious comment)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

In a glass with a slice of orange.

• Advertisement

You should host beer seminars (serious comment)
    I do. Or at least, I talk to people about beer if they pay me money. And sometimes when they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I think I read somewhere that they have done a lot of research/re-engineering or what ever they do to make this drinkable from the bottle. Quite recent too ... maybe the last 2 or 3 years.

or did I just dream all that up.

Hoegaarden was a favourite of mine for a long while but more as a summer drink.

Always get a few when Lidl have it on special :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Orange absolutely ruins it for me.

Absolutely love this beer though, and the mammoth Hoegaarden buckets/pint glasses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ah, Hoegaarden, best beer name ever. :D

Pour it into a glass, slice of orange on the side, down the hatch.

I do. Or at least, I talk to people about beer if they pay me money. And sometimes when they don't.

I've certainly never paid yet you still keep talking. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Last time I had it in a pub they put lime in it, it was gorgeous, I always put lime in it if I'm drinking it at home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Absolute top notch drink. :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Love this beer. Seems most pubs in UK serve it with lime. Never considered lemon.
    By the way how do people tend to pronounce it? I would have thought it's Hoe-garden but on the cardboard bottle holder it said Who-gar-ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Hoegaarden seems to be the one beer that everyone else loves but I just can't seem to get into. It goes down lovely but I really don't like that aftertaste.

cashback wrote: »
    By the way how do people tend to pronounce it?
    Who-garten would be close, but the first syllable should be slightly gutteral, I think: CHU-garten, ch as in "loch",

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Will be available in Lidl from the Monday 21st 4 for €4.99 .. stock up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

cashback wrote: »
    By the way how do people tend to pronounce it?

My ex is flemish belgian, and pronounced it something like 'who-goct-den' ...although the 'goct' part was doing something weird with your throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

Ah i still remember the first time i had this, roaming the streets of brussels drinking it from a stubby can. Lovely beer, i also agree with the hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    theavenger wrote: »
    Lovely beer, i also agree with the hangover.
    Hoegaarden is one of my favourite beers. It has never given me a hangover, though.

+1 for the slice of lemon.[/Quote]

The cause of a hangover is alcohol consumption. Although there are many variables, the most significant factor is the quantity of alcohol consumed.

As they say in after hours, simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

First time I asked for it in a bar (though it was a hotel's bar) they gave me that way with the lemon. Felt so light and refreshing that had a few more, and yes, the hangover was awful, but not worse than the one I got after a night on Guinness

Advertisement