Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business, Anyone Know Where To Buy Or Lease A Decent Printer?

Options
  • 17-05-2012 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All

I’m looking to know does anyone know where you can buy or lease an industrial printer please? I’m in the process of starting a small advertising magazine here in the UK and the prices back from printing companies are scandalous. I’m now of the thinking that I could print them myself rather than pay those sky high prices.
    I started the same advertising magazine in Ireland about 3 years ago which lasted about 3 months, I finished it for a few different reasons, 1. I was living in the UK and time was spent over and back to Ireland till my daughter was born and spent some time being ill in hospital. I just couldn’t get on the ferry at Holyhead knowing my young family was struggling without me and being honest, I couldn’t afford to pay someone to do my job.
    Myself and a best friend door knocked houses and businesses and during that time we sold about 13,000 copies of the magazine. We opted not to leave them in to shops to sell for 2 reasons, we couldn't afford to wait and hope the general public would pick it up off the shelf and buy it as it was an unknown product and financially I wasn't in the best place to pay shops their fee to sell it so we hit the streets. We got some great feedback, some not so great and for family and financial reasons at the time I decided not to persue it in Ireland.
    I’m now in a much better position financially and my family are well and healthy so I was thinking of giving it a right lash over here.
    Printing is the biggest expense and would prefer to do it myself with the help of a graphic designer than pay through the nose for printing. I’m nervous but excited about it as I know the pitfalls and what it takes to survive,
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

I feel your pain! I have no idea where to get an industrial printer these days but I looked into it myself a few years back. It might be different for you but at the time when I did the math, the ink and other running costs for the printer itself were prohibitive and I wouldn't have been buying enough paper at one time for the paper guys to supply to me. You might well be in a similar situation. I would also have to have bought a machine for trimming, collating and stapling. I run a creative writing group for kids and very excitingly, are producing an anthology of their work which they are getting to launch in 2 weeks at a festival. I did a huge amount of shopping around print wise as obviously we only have a tiny budget - I found a local guy who was really inexpensive - I can PM you the details if you like. If you do decide to go the print yourself road, be sure to check out all the ancillary costs first!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Printing your own magazine will not save you money in the short, medium or long term - don't waste your time considering it. If you want really cheap print prices then you'll have to look at printing in the far east. You need to factor in up to 9 weeks shipping time in to your schedule though.

If that's not feasible then you'll have to call around more printers until you find a price that's better. If your cashflow can afford it, offer to pay on delivery. Most printers will bite your hand off for that. Talk to them about when is their quietest time of month, and go to press then - you'll need to be very disciplined!

There is still over capacity in the UK print market, you'll always get a printer willing to print it cheaper. However, you need to consider the financial viability of any company that offers silly prices.

I've been out of the UK print market for a good few years now but try these guys for starters:

http://www.williamgibbons.co.uk/
    http://www.buxtonpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

Thank you Gloom

I'm looking in to printing companies in the far east as we speak, some companies prices are absolutley crazy over here. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I can't see how leasing a printing machine with all the extras you'd need to produce a magazine, plus staff that know how to use it will work out cheaper than paying a printer to print it.

Have you decided the pricing is "scandalous" because you just don't like the amounts they're quoting? Or have you worked it out that they're ripping you off?

Advertisement