Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty laptop

Options
  • 17-05-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a laptop that is only a few weeks only and has a fault with it
    (when it is shut down completely or runs out of power it won't turn back on)
    They did direct me to take out the battery and power cable & hold the on/ off for 20 seconds then put everything back together and restart and this does get it working but I want a laptop that doesn't require this crap to work so want it repaired

Have been onto the manufacturer and (the caps button is flashing) so they claim it is a fault with the CPU and need to collect it Tuesday for repair

I bought the laptop from an online retailer but rang the manufacturer about the fault before the retailer

1. Should I cancel the arranged collection for Tuesday & deal with the retailer first or let them collect it?

2. During the call with the manufacturer he stated that it is their policy to only repair the unit & not replace it which got me worried if it can't be repaired
    (I didn't mention anything about replacing it he just was saying which worried me)

3. Is there a legal time limit they can keep the laptop for repair or how many times they get to try repair it? They said because it's Ireland it's going to take anything from 7-20 working days leaving me with no laptop in-between

What are my rights in this situation so I know how to proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Donkathon wrote: »
    Ok I have a laptop that is only a few weeks only and has a fault with it
    (when it is shut down completely or runs out of power it won't turn back on)
    They did direct me to take out the battery and power cable & hold the on/ off for 20 seconds then put everything back together and restart and this does get it working but I want a laptop that doesn't require this crap to work so want it repaired

Have been onto the manufacturer and (the caps button is flashing) so they claim it is a fault with the CPU and need to collect it Tuesday for repair

I bought the laptop from an online retailer but rang the manufacturer about the fault before the retailer

1. Should I cancel the arranged collection for Tuesday & deal with the retailer first or let them collect it?

2. During the call with the manufacturer he stated that it is their policy to only repair the unit & not replace it which got me worried if it can't be repaired
    (I didn't mention anything about replacing it he just was saying which worried me)

3. Is there a legal time limit they can keep the laptop for repair or how many times they get to try repair it? They said because it's Ireland it's going to take anything from 7-20 working days leaving me with no laptop in-between

What are my rights in this situation so I know how to proceed?

1.Don't cancel the collection, If you choose to deal with the retailer, it's going to take longer to be repaired, the retailer will just send it back to the manufacturer anyway

2. If they can't repair it(which is highly doubtful) then the retailerwill have to replace it or will have to refund it

3. Unfortunately the repair centre is more than likely not in Ireland so 7-20 days is not unreasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

the manufacturer will have to replace it
    The manufacturer will have to do no such thing. The contract is between the OP and the retailer. The manufacturer can offer to repair it under warranty but they don't have an obligation to supply the OP with a replacement laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Hope your not dealing with Lenovo .

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

HP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

They are allowed a 'reasonable time' to provide you with a solution. This time is cumulative. This means that if they take 20 days to fix it this time and there is then another fault you will be in a good position to take it to the SmCC. How old is the Laptop?

As for replacing things computers are made of discrete parts so the faulty CPU will be replace rather than repaired.

• Advertisement

They are allowed a 'reasonable time' to provide you with a solution. This time is cumulative. This means that if they take 20 days to fix it this time and there is then another fault you will be in a good position to take it to the SmCC. How old is the Laptop?

As for replacing things computers are made of discrete parts so the faulty CPU will be replace rather than repaired.
    Sorry I don't know what cumulative means?

Also the laptop is only two weeks old at the most, €490 so lower mid range price wise but I've bought cheaper ones and never faulted

Sorry I don't know what cumulative means?

Also the laptop is only two weeks old at the most, €490 so lower mid range price wise but I've bought cheaper ones and never faulted

If it's only two weeks old you would be entitled to a replacement. Where did you buy it?

Sacramento wrote: »
    If it's only two weeks old you would be entitled to a replacement. Where did you buy it?

Not necessarily - but a very speedy resolution to be sure.

Cumulative means if its take 10 days for you to get it back and then another 10 days because they didn't fix it - it's taken 20 days to resolve the issue.

Where did you buy it as per previous poster? If its a retail outlet take it back and reject the goods. Politely don't move until you have a refund. Politely inform any customers around you of your situation - FACTUALLY and politely. Leave at closing time ;) Leave if you are asked too. Then go to SmCC.

Not necessarily - but a very speedy resolution to be sure.

If they agree it is faulty, a replacement is normally offered within 21 days of any bricks & mortar store I've dealt with. Online will be more difficult I'd imagine.

If its a retail outlet take it back and reject the goods. Politely don't move until you have a refund. Politely inform any customers around you of your situation - FACTUALLY and politely. Leave at closing time ;)Leave if you are asked too. Then go to SmCC.

Conflicting advice much??

If its a retail outlet take it back and reject the goods. Politely don't move until you have a refund. Politely inform any customers around you of your situation - FACTUALLY and politely. Leave at closing time ;) Leave if you are asked too. Then go to SmCC.

Don't do this, if you've ever worked behind a customer service desk, you'll know this comes across very badly.

Just be polite and state you've had the goods less than 21 days and you'd like a new one or a refund. If they refuse, ask to speak to a manager, politely of course. I'd be very surprised if they do not give you what you want once the fault is verified.

If they agree it is faulty, a replacement is normally offered within 21 days of any bricks & mortar store I've dealt with. Online will be more difficult I'd imagine.

There are various threads detailing that this doesn't always happen and various threads interpreting the relevant acts - mostly agreeing that this is not a legal right.
    Conflicting advice much??

TWO question marks! I'm convinced!
    Don't do this, if you've ever worked behind a customer service desk, you'll know this comes across very badly.

Just be polite and state you've had the goods less than 21 days and you'd like a new one or a refund. If they refuse, ask to speak to a manager, politely of course. I'd be very surprised if they do not give you what you want once the fault is verified.

15 Years customer facing and 10 years in a position to make the decision if the guy was getting a refund or not based on CS and if it was losing me sales.

Realistically I simply corrected your incorrect assertion and offered my advise. Your opinion is, of course, as equally valid as mine and the correct first step in attempting to get the matter resolved. You are, I believe, incorrect when stating this persons rights however.

• Advertisement

There are various threads detailing that this doesn't always happen and various threads interpreting the relevant acts - mostly agreeing that this is not a legal right.

TWO question marks! I'm convinced!

15 Years customer facing and 10 years in a position to make the decision if the guy was getting a refund or not based on CS and if it was losing me sales.

Realistically I simply corrected your incorrect assertion and offered my advise. Your opinion is, of course, as equally valid as mine and the correct first step in attempting to get the matter resolved. You are, I believe, incorrect when stating this persons rights however.

Yeah I'm incorrect about him being entitled to one, but most retailers will offer an exchange here.

Just a word to the wise though. I can concede when I'm wrong, but ignoring my valid point regarding you advising him to do two completely different things should have been noted in your reply rather than dismissing it because I used two question marks. A bit classless.

Lets not fight in front of the kids. To be fair simply saying stuff like "Conflicting advice much??" is obviously going to get peoples backs up. Admittedly what you were attacking was poorly phrased.

It should have been - Stay put and don't give up. Be polite and above all stick to the facts and don't get angry. If you are asked to leave you are obliged to do so as you are on private property.

Unfortunately when it comes to electronics the RTFM factor is so high a lot of retailers will do there best to get it back for someone to look at it. They normally know they taking the mickey though - if the manager can't help its worth ringing the HQ there and then. I was overridden a couple of times on XBOX360's despite doing exactly what HQ had told us to do based on what M$ had told them!

Incidentally €490 for a laptop these days is pretty mid-range. Even if it was cheaper you'd still expect a year out of it and it to be fixed very quickly if it went wrong in the first 30 days.

Well got the laptop back today & it came back worse than when it went off ffs :mad:

It went away last tuesday 22nd and arived back today so it was only away for 7 days but on the sheet they said something was wrong with the LCD and replaced it along with the cable

I dont know if they just were saying there is a fault so they can at least bill hp for something but the original LCD but as far as I know the LCD was perfect with nothing wrong with it, on the notes section on the worksheet i got back it states

"Unstable Video (Jitter/Flicker)" I dont know what this means but the lcd never had anything wrong with it

They have also damaged the housing around the LCD you, albiete minor damage but it went out without a mark on in and comes back with pry marks where they obviously changed the LCD

The original fault (CPU failure according tho tech support)
    I turn on the computer just out of the packing and yep same thing, nothing happens appart from the caps lock button flashing 1 sec on & 3 sec off and does nothing else,

To get it back on I have to power down, remove the batery, hold the power button for 20 seconds & then put the battery back in and try to reboot

This does not always work first time it take some times 6 or more to get it going

waiting for them to ring me back now for another collection date for it to be repaired yet again fml

Who is the online retailer?

At this point I'd tell then you are taking it to small claims and they need to refund it. It will be a relatively long process but you should at least get a resolution.

Who is the online retailer?

At this point I'd tell then you are taking it to small claims and they need to refund it. It will be a relatively long process but you should at least get a resolution.
    I would rather not name the online retailer yet,

After getting the call back from HP I've booked it back in for collection for next wednesday
    (I could have sent it tomorrow but as it goes over to birmingham uk for repair with HP I said I'd rather wait untill after the bank holiday weekend as I've stuff i need to catch up on & need the laptop)

Im going to let it go back for repair one more time before insisting on a refund with the retailer, also HP have said when I reported to pry marks to the complaints dpt from them taking the LCD out they have agreed to repair any cosmetic damage so I image they'll be replacing the plastic frame around the lcd & the lid cover
    (the pry marks damaged both in the gap they meet around the sides)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I would rather not name the online retailer yet,

After getting the call back from HP I've booked it back in for collection for next wednesday
    (I could have sent it tomorrow but as it goes over to birmingham uk for repair with HP I said I'd rather wait untill after the bank holiday weekend as I've stuff i need to catch up on & need the laptop)

Im going to let it go back for repair one more time before insisting on a refund with the retailer, also HP have said when I reported to pry marks to the complaints dpt from them taking the LCD out they have agreed to repair any cosmetic damage so I image they'll be replacing the plastic frame around the lcd & the lid cover
    (the pry marks damaged both in the gap they meet around the sides)

Quick question. Are you dealing direct with manufacturer or retailer in all this. I may have missed something but I think it's with the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, as you may not be detailing with the retailer, they may be well within their rights to offer repair first. Any dealings you have with the manufacturer won't interfere with the retailer obligation. THEY are still entitled to one of the three R's.

Now, when you show them proof of the manufacturer repairs, they MIGHT accept that. However, they may not as it may cost them to replace.

If it's Pixmania, I suggest you whistle ... long time.

RangeR wrote: »
    Quick question. Are you dealing direct with manufacturer or retailer in all this. I may have missed something but I think it's with the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, as you may not be detailing with the retailer, they may be well within their rights to offer repair first. Any dealings you have with the manufacturer won't interfere with the retailer obligation. THEY are still entitled to one of the three R's.

Now, when you show them proof of the manufacturer repairs, they MIGHT accept that. However, they may not as it may cost them to replace.

If it's Pixmania, I suggest you whistle ... long time.

When the fault first happened I got onto the phone with HP (the manufacturer) and booked it in for the repair,
    I then contacted the retailer (Before i let it go for repair) to look for advise should I be dealing with them direct or send it back to them or let it go for repair with HP and they advised me to let HP have it for repair as they offer a solution on their behalf

I have just emailed them (the retailer) to let them know the currant situation update and to advise them that if HP cannot fix the problem on the second occasion I would politely ask that they rectify the problem by replacing the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

When the fault first happened I got onto the phone with HP (the manufacturer) and booked it in for the repair,
    I then contacted the retailer (Before i let it go for repair) to look for advise should I be dealing with them direct or send it back to them or let it go for repair with HP and they advised me to let HP have it for repair as they offer a solution on their behalf

I have just emailed them (the retailer) to let them know the currant situation update and to advise them that if HP cannot fix the problem on the second occasion I would politely ask that they rectify the problem by replacing the laptop
    Had a similar issue with lenovo .The advice I got was that the retailer is your first port of call .

got the laptop back today and pretty happy,

while the laptop was away i made some phone calls looking for what irish company of theirs is resposible for the unit while they have it and openly stated I wanted the company reg number etc as if it came to it i would proceed to the small claims court to have the damage repaird and i think that put some fire below them

btw holy crap some of their support are dumb the first girl couldnt give me any info as it was a call centre in the uk and kept insisted they didnt have any company associated with them registered in ireland (think i found 17 on the cro) but found a direct dublin number for they HQ in liffey valley after some further research and rang them

got onto a very helpful dublin lad called Mr. X and i have to say the lad was great nearly got the imprssion he wanted to accompany me to the claims court lol

longer story short a hour off the phone with him and the head of complaints rings me to update whats going on with the laptop and bla bla bla it'll be delivered today and he'll ring me back for lunchtime to check is everything on with it once it arrived

have it now and thankfully everything is perfect like it should have been at the start they replaced all the plastic that they damaged from the first repair, basicly ripped everything out exept the hard drive and replaced everything including yet another lcd and cable (must have a fettish about replacing lcd screens)

all is good now and very happy with the customer service towards the end once i started mentioning that i was gathering info as a just incase i had to go to court

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Heads up. Might want to remove the reps name. Don't want to get him in trouble.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    Heads up. Might want to remove the reps name. Don't want to get him in trouble.
    done but I think he might have been more than a rep for him to get onto head on complaints and get him to call me ;)

Advertisement