Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has the generation gap reversed polarity?

• 17-05-2012 3:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

IT is often observed that the 50's, with the birth of Rock N Roll was the first era when kids no longer dressed like their parents or listened to similar music to their parents. New music for several decades followed a simple law that "The Kids " music was shocking and outrageous whilst "The parents' music was dull and safe. From what i can see the opposite is now true. Other than the odd sexually explicit lyric in music liked by school kids (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga) the only shock value is in the occasional meat dress or wardrobe malfunction.
    Will we ever see another Sex Pistols cause outrage at national level, Another Judas Priest or Marylyn Manson get the religious orders in a tizzy, an Iggy Pop shag a teddy on live TV or an Elvis Costello singing a song about dancing with joy on a Prime Ministers grave?
    Is it the case that my 41 year old taste in music is more dangerous and confrontational than a 14 year olds?
    Or am i just turning into my dad... yeah.. that might be it.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

i used to be with it....blah blah blah grandpa simpson quote....

as it is, i feel pretty much exactly the same way, OP. I'm 39 and grew up with The Clash, The Jam, Black Sabbath, The Cult etc and everything on the radio now is as bland as Michael Buble. The younger generation are too apathetic to be rebellious, they'd rather just bitch and moan on twitter and facebook instead. I actually smile now when i see a goth/emo kid, at least they're trying(in their own minds) to be different.

so in short, yep I'm getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what
    I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

summerskin wrote: »
    stimpson wrote: »
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what
    I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

knew it was coming...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

as it is, i feel pretty much exactly the same way, OP. I'm 39 and grew up with The Clash, The Jam, Black Sabbath, The Cult etc and everything on the radio now is as bland as Michael Buble. The younger generation are too apathetic to be rebellious, they'd rather just bitch and moan on twitter and facebook instead. I actually smile now when i see a goth/emo kid, at least they're trying(in their own minds) to be different.

so in short, yep I'm getting old.

In my work I end up sound engineering and staging young bands, usually school boy bands and the all play Led Zepplin, The Clash etc. The most modern they get would be Artic Monkeys and Kings of Leon. It says something when what is appealing to young guys with guitar god asperations is 30 or 40 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

knew it was coming...

Happy to help.

But in fairness, there was ****e music when we were growing up. Most of the bands I listened to never got AirPlay on the radio and there was the same 3 minute pop dirge that we get nowadays. There is still good indie music out there, but as always you have to dig a bit deeper to find it.

• Advertisement

In my work I end up sound engineering and staging young bands, usually school boy bands and the all play Led Zepplin, The Clash etc. The most modern they get would be Artic Monkeys and Kings of Leon. It says something when what is appealing to young guys with guitar god asperations is 30 or 40 years old.

my daughter is 13 and plays guitar. her tutor is about 21 and the songs she has learned include "horse with no name", "hotel california", "stairway to heaven", "smoke on the water" and "that's entertainment". The most recent stuff she has learned has been by Biffy Clyro, Death Cab for Cutie and Beth Orton, so not bad at all really. But surely a 21 year old guitar teacher would have something recent to inspire him?

No, he says it's all crap now. Clever lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I suppose what is considered shocking now is very different to what would have been considered shocking 20 or 30 years ago.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I agree completely - the quality of music has definietly gone down. I am 31 and none of my top 10 favourite bands\artists have been around in the past 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Reversed polarity??

Is that not what superman did when he flew anti clockwise around the world causing it to slow down and reverse??

Over to the science forum with you, heathen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

There is still music out there that gets the adults in a tizzy, it's just not at the forefront of the public conciousness and rarely, if ever, gets radio play. Radio is mostly industry controlled, and seeing as Nicole 12, Komprex and the like will never be on major labels, this music won't permeate the waves. Difficult music has to be actively searched for, now, and even with the Internet it's difficult. How can you search for something you don't know exists?

Stuff like noise music will often get a fairly good response from a crowd at a live show because of how weird it is, and I know of one person that got into it because he heard my own stuff. People (The Yoof) want something different, but can't see the difference between visually different and aurally different, and that's how you end up with Lady Gaga being so popular. If they knew there was very, very good music out there, often put out online for free by the artist via netlabels or their own sites, then the game might change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Don't reverse polarity and whatever you do.... DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Everythings been sh1t since the 90's ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Fallopian tubes ftw. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I feel sorry for my daughter singing along to the crap thats out now:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I feel sorry for my daughter singing along to the crap thats out now:(

Its not so much about the quality of the music so much as the safeness of it all. I still find new bands and just as an example I kinda like Mumford and Sons and so does the 16 year old daughter of a friend of mine. I cant see myself shouting at my kids to "TURN THAT RACKET DOWN!!!"
    I secretly long for my kid to shock the pants off me when he's 16 but I just cant imagine what that will take:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Apathy rules ok.

Or it doesn't, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I whip my hair back and forth..wtf?

Advertisement