Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAC now testing on animals

• 17-05-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

So pee'd off after reading MAC are testing on animals now, the list of brands I can use keeps declining all the time!

I get in a load of products to review but find the list that I can actually keep for personal use is getting smaller and smaller. I really wanted to buy some MAC next week so couldn't believe they're testing on animals now.

I was in Boots last week and wasn't sure if there were actually any stands I could buy from anymore!

Anyway just wanted to rant about it, very annoying when you're trying to buy cruelty free!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Where is this article you read it in? I wonder why they all of a sudden started to test on animals knowing that had to turn away a portion of their customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

The article says it's because they now want to sell in China and China by law enforce animal testing for products sold there so they caved in!

But honestly it seems hard to find a definite answer it's only on a few blogs

http://www.logicalharmony.net/mac-cosmetics-is-no-longer-cruelty-free/#axzz1v8xxZ7yO

But does that mean the products we buy over here aren't tested on animals? Only the ones that are manufactured in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Yeah, I read about this recently...something to do with Estée Lauder expanding their market into China, isn't it? I know in China they insist upon animal testing, even if the products in question have been used in other markets before.

I agree with you, it's a terrible, terrible turn of events. It means Bobbi Brown, Aveda Clinique and so on are all under the same umbrella now. I know companies have to make a profit but I always thought MAC were quite forthcoming with anti-cruelty measures...it was one of their social initiatives they prided themselves on. Shame on you, MAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Interesting. I guess MAC see the profits from expanding globally being greater than losing business with customers against animal testing.

Where can you get a list of companies who do/don't test on animals? I'm guessing PETA? I've never thought too hard about things like this, it never was on my radar! I'm too afraid to research into it and see something I can't unsee...

Interesting. I guess MAC see the profits from expanding globally being greater than losing business with customers against animal testing.

Where can you get a list of companies who do/don't test on animals? I'm guessing PETA? I've never thought too hard about things like this, it never was on my radar! I'm too afraid to research into it and see something I can't unsee...

You can have a look at PETA, yeah...try here:
    http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx

Although I'm not that familiar with their criteria. I suspect they would discount companies that use animal-derived ingredients like honey...but that's just me, you can have a proper look into it.

Other sites include:
    http://www.leapingbunny.org/
    http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/

Although it is a bit of a minefield...e.g. The Body Shop don't test but their parent company does, which rules it out for me personally (actually, I was never much of a fan anyway, I always thought it was well overpriced for what it was).

I usually go to the companies' homepages to find out if they test or not. I've emailed companies directly in the past too, if I couldn't find proper information online.

• Advertisement

You can have a look at PETA, yeah...try here:
    http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx

Although I'm not that familiar with their criteria. I suspect they would discount companies that use animal-derived ingredients like honey...but that's just me, you can have a proper look into it.

Other sites include:
    http://www.leapingbunny.org/
    http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/

Although it is a bit of a minefield...e.g. The Body Shop don't test but their parent company does, which rules it out for me personally (actually, I was never much of a fan anyway, I always thought it was well overpriced for what it was).

I usually go to the companies' homepages to find out if they test or not. I've emailed companies directly in the past too, if I couldn't find proper information online.

I get confused by the whole thing, seems like nothing in Boots makeup wise is cruelty free but then what if say a company like Body Shop doesn't test on animals but the parent company does, how do you approach that? It's a total minefield I agree!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I get confused by the whole thing, seems like nothing in Boots makeup wise is cruelty free but then what if say a company like Body Shop doesn't test on animals but the parent company does, how do you approach that? It's a total minefield I agree!

Oh yeah, it is a mess...I'd love one site that pulled all the info together easily. Problems include the aforementioned Body Shop/parent company thing, availability of brands (e.g. widely available in the US at Target as an example, but not so easy to access here. No brand in particular, just in general)...and then the omission of other stuff. E.g. I see Barry M and Collection 2000/Collection apparently don't test on animals or use ingredients that are...but why are they on none of these lists? Is there something those companies aren't telling us? I think there's a long way to go before transparency is achieved :mad:

Oh yeah, it is a mess...I'd love one site that pulled all the info together easily. Problems include the aforementioned Body Shop/parent company thing, availability of brands (e.g. widely available in the US at Target as an example, but not so easy to access here. No brand in particular, just in general)...and then the omission of other stuff. E.g. I see Barry M and Collection 2000/Collection apparently don't test on animals or use ingredients that are...but why are they on none of these lists? Is there something those companies aren't telling us? I think there's a long way to go before transparency is achieved :mad:

Yeah it's actually head wrecking, I know Illamasqua are, Urban Decay, FACE Atelier, Korres, Stila....anyone know any others off the top of their head from the big well known brands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Urban Decay are really Pro not testing on animals. But do you ever think if a company isnt testing on animals who are they testing on?

Yeah it's actually head wrecking, I know Illamasqua are, Urban Decay, FACE Atelier, Korres, Stila....anyone know any others off the top of their head from the big well known brands?

I think Benefit is a bit of a grey area...AFAIK, finished product isn't but I don't know about ingredients (by or for the company). Shisheido are cruelty-free too, apparently.
    gillapino wrote: »
    Urban Decay are really Pro not testing on animals. But do you ever think if a company isnt testing on animals who are they testing on?

They test the finished product on people. Volunteers, employees etc. There's no need for them to be tested on animals at all, so they test in labs and simulated conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

yeah the finished product, but how there getting to the finished project, no matter who you buy from somewhere along the line its gonna be tested on an animal. I'm not promoting testing on animals, but consider the well being of the people there testing it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

agree with you, it's a terrible, terrible turn of events. It means Bobbi Brown, Aveda Clinique and so on are all under the same umbrella now. I know companies have to make a profit but I always thought MAC were quite forthcoming with anti-cruelty measures...it was one of their social initiatives they prided themselves on. Shame on you, MAC.

And Aveda!

The Body Shop did the same a few years back I think.

yeah the finished product, but how there getting to the finished project, no matter who you buy from somewhere along the line its gonna be tested on an animal. I'm not promoting testing on animals, but consider the well being of the people there testing it on.

If that were true, then there wouldn't be any companies that didn't test on animals at all. As for well-being, many test on their own employees after a considerable amount of laboratory testing is done - Lush do that, as an example. Nobody is forced to have cosmetics tested on them...unlike the animals.

mood wrote: »
    And Aveda!

The Body Shop did the same a few years back I think.

I already said Aveda :) What do you mean The Body Shop did the same? Same as...MAC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

but consider the well being of the people there testing it on.

The difference is that these people are doing it of their own free will and have been made aware of the risks/possible side effects, etc. They're consenting adults.

I already said Aveda :) What do you mean The Body Shop did the same? Same as...MAC?

The Body Shop started testing on animals a few years ago according to an article I read at the time. I don't use their products so I'm not 100% sure.

mood wrote: »
    The Body Shop started testing on animals a few years ago according to an article I read at the time. I don't use their products so I'm not 100% sure.

Do you have a link by any chance? I've never heard of that, and even on their website they have a timeline showing their achievements in the 'anti-animal cruelty' vein.

I don't think the Body Shop do, I just think they're owned by L'Oreal now who do!

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/values-campaigns/against-animal-testing.aspx?

Do you have a link by any chance? I've never heard of that, and even on their website they have a timeline showing their achievements in the 'anti-animal cruelty' vein.

No. It was something I read a number of years ago. Can't remember where.

Just got sent out some of their new line and the blurb with it states it's cruelty free makeup which 'celebrates our Against Animal Testing' ethos and emphasises the fact that glamorous makeup products can be effective as well as cruelty free:)

• Advertisement

Just got sent out some of their new line and the blurb with it states it's cruelty free makeup which 'celebrates our Against Animal Testing' ethos and emphasises the fact that glamorous makeup products can be effective as well as cruelty free:)

Hmmm but if Estée Lauder have resumed tested, it's a bit like The Body Shop/L'Oreal thing, isn't it? Company itself doesn't but the parent company does...it's so disappointing. Just when things seemed to be going in the non-testing direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

its so hard to know who to trust. and when brands turn around and admit they DO test on animals and i see a product of theirs in my makeup drawer i feel sick looking at it! my dog sits beside me every morning while i do my makeup & i just think of poor helpless little things like her going through all sorts for our vanity! i am probably over sensitive lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

This is the worst if it is true. Almost all of my make-up is MAC (and with good reason, too!) but now I can't help but look at it differently... I think I'll do a little more research on the matter.

Advertisement