Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever jumped on a bandwagon?

• 17-05-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

With the Olympics and Euro football thingamabob coming up, I expect high levels of bandwagon jumping to begin. Like people who never heard of Katie Taylor being 'experts' on the history and evolution of wimmins boxing.

I fully admit I'll be jumping on the Irish football team hoopla, but I hate the sport the rest of the time, and if we do badly I'll be off the bandwagon pronto.

Comments

I've been a huge Bayern Munich fan for WEEKS now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I jumped off a minibus once and hurt my elbow.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yore ma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I live in Limerick, home of Munster rugby and a an entire city of bandwagon jumpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I jumped on a tour bus with REO Speedwagon once.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

anytime theres a popular thread condemning shít, i'm on that wagon, yee-haw!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Sport = grand excuse for the Irish to fill up the pubs and scream at TV that they would have no interest in if they where sober :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm getting on the anti-women boxing bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I haven't been as happy as last Sunday afternoon since I supported Chelski.

Looks like I will be summering in Abu Dhubai this year to keep my new found overlords happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Unfortunately sport related bandwagons are of little interest to me, which sucks given the year that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

krudler wrote: »
    I live in Limerick, home of Munster rugby and a an entire city of bandwagon jumpers.
    Stop crying like a little girl and be happy that people have seen the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

im jumping on the anti-bandwagon bandwagon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

KeithM89 wrote: »

Has he actually been banned for saying that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm not a football supporter but I always get caught up in the atmosphere whenever the Euros or World Cup come around (even if Ireland aren't involved). I'm not into club rugby but when Irish teams get far I always have an interest. I do follow the 6 Nations and RWC but wouldn't follow test matches or anything like that.

So yeah, I am a "bandwagon jumper" but so what? I hate die-hard fans who get offended if people only support the sport/their teams whenever big events come around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hate bandwagon jumpers

I preferred their earlier material, before they sold out and went commerical

I listen to bands that don't even exist yet :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Domo230 wrote: »
    I supported Man City this year (and by support I mean watched match of the day once every 2 months and knew their captain's name, Vincent Kompany :) )

Still don't get football, people paid millions to kick a pigs bladder and everyone's okay with that.

so you are pretty much, you're average man city fan then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Has he actually been banned for saying that?

No. He was infracted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

KeithM89 wrote: »

Cool story bro. :pac:

I was an avid Spain supporter during my stay there during the 2010 WC final.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

During the Rugby World Cup there was plenty of muppets out there calling our soccer team sh1te and saying aren't the rugby boys brilliant for making a QF. These feckless twits don't understand that only about 10 countries in the world play rugby to any sort of standard and making OF is the least you'd expect from Ireland

Needless to when our overrated prima donnas got their asses schooled by the Welsh a lot of these rugby 'fans' made their way back to the footy just in time for Euro qualification and the next bandwagon trip to Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its all bollox if you're old enough to remember the great summer overhype of '90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Me too, I even got the jersey ready for Saturday night!

It'll go great with my Lederhosen :p

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No. He was infracted for it.

what does infracting entail?

I was a big Canucks fan for the two weeks I was in Vancouver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A message advising you not to do it again and it's noted on your permanent record (which affects job opportunities).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Seachmall wrote: »
    A message advising you not to do it again and it's noted on your permanent record (which affects job opportunities).

This apart from the jobs thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Every Irish football fan who supports an English team has jumped on the band wagon. The trend this season and particularly since Sunday on Facebook etc. with Irish Man United fans dismissing Man City's largely Mancunian fan-base as 'bandwagoners' is so cringe-worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'll switch sides in the middle of a game if one team takes the lead.

Oh, I'm a pure bandwagon whore like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

What's the opposite?

Guess I'm a "tastemaker" or something then. :D

I'll chamion/promote whatever all these cool obscure things and then as soon as more than 17 people get into it, I'll immediately abandon it.

So I suppose I actually create bandwagons and their jumpers then :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    What's the opposite?

Guess I'm a "tastemaker" or something then. :D

I'll chamion/promote whatever all these cool obscure things and then as soon as more than 17 people get into it, I'll immediately abandon it.

So I suppose I actually create bandwagons and their jumpers then :P

Bloody hipster.

Seachmall wrote: »

Seems ridiculously excessive, like some Mod is entertaining themselves rather than actually moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The Dublin GAA team has the most bangwagoners.

League Final VS Cork. Attendance 35,000.

AI Final VS Kerry. Sold Out. Tickets selling for crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

IrishAm wrote: »

Would apply to every county in Ireland to be fair

Yup, the cricket world cup when Ireland did alright.

Was mainly in it for the lengthy drinking session that accompanied the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not at all.

I think Jack Charlton will do a great job next month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Pokémon cards. When I think of all the money I spent on those b*stards...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

I hate bandwagon jumpers!

Before I didnt mind them, but after hearing a few people give out about them recently I realised I really hate them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Good one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I was really into that jamaican bobsleigh team that year that john candy was manager.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

When I asked one of my work mates during the qualifiers was he he going to watch the Ireland match that night, his reply was was "I'm not going to watch that shyte". Same fella now keeps going on now about how he can't wait for the Euros and get out to the pub to watch the Ireland games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

IrishAm wrote: »

Dublin does have the largest population in the country, so a larger number of fair-weather fans is to be expected. Also, it works both ways, if another county is playing Dublin then they also see a rise in attendance due to the 'glamour' nature of the tie.

Soccer crowd I find are a tad hypocritical here in their criticism of 'bandwagoners'. No problem spamming the YLYL board with sh1te memes after every match but soon as anyone takes an interest this summer.....

As a further point I wouldn't refer to myself as a fan or supporter of any club/sportsperson. They don't need my financial support or even my words of encouragement from the stands couch watching tv. Well-wisher is more how I'd describe my standpoint this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

There'll be a lot of otherwise anti-soccer folk doing it in a few wks so be prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

I've been supporting them since last Sunday.
    Plan to stop next Saturday (COYS ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Super-Rush wrote: »
    This apart from the jobs thing.

how many infractions is a ban? do previous bans count against people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I will be fervently, obsessively Irish during the Olympics but if the Irish team don't win any medals I shall be greeting them at Dublin Airport with a big crate of rancid turnips and fisheads. How dare you spoil my bandwagon dreams :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nobody mentioned Rugby yet?

Jesus over the last few years everybody is expert in rugby, or so they think.

You ask 80% of people who watch it if they know the rules and they have no clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nobody mentioned Rugby yet?

Jesus over the last few years everybody is expert in rugby, or so they think.

You ask 80% of people who watch it if they know the rules and they have no clue.
    Lots of people who watch regularly and officiate at rugby seem to have the same problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

i hate bandwagons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My favourite of all was when Shamrock Rovers hosted Real Madrid in Dublin a couple of years ago.

The amount of people bleating on about how it was a disgrace that the match was taking place at Tallaght Stadium and not the Aviva. The tickets sold out instantly and would've gone to Rovers fans first as they got first choice on them, and rightly so. Sorry if little Timmy or Tammy wanted to see Ronaldo, the lads and ladies that turn out each week to see their team were more entitled to attend than you were.

Oh and the media were the biggest bandwagoners. The back pages splashed with headlines and images of the 'Tallacticos'. When normal service resumed, all League of Ireland stuff was relegated back to about 6 pages in. I have to laugh when the red tops have taglines like Proud to be Irish emblazoned on the front page only to have captions like A City Divided (referring to Manchester last weekend) right underneath it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Lots of people who watch regularly and officiate at rugby seem to have the same problem!

Thats cause people don't care about rugby - its a crap sport.

But really, bandwagonners support the country in it's finest hours - 4 1/2 hours in June afterwhich the team will go home and that will be that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement