Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the most ridiculous thing you said to try and impress potential house mates??

• 17-05-2012 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

So sick of daft at this stage. And this ridiculous 'interview' process. It's so painful, I feel like I'm going on a string of useless first dates :confused:

Would love to be able to afford a one bed

*sigh*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I told them I was the landlord.

Took the rent.

Disappeared.

Rented my own place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

that i'm great with the ladies and they can have my sloppy seconds...

unfortunately my lie was soon found out and i had to leave :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I pretended to be a vegetarian for a year to get a really cheap room, and it worked.

I actually tried being a vegetarian for a week or two but started to crave meat so from then on I did my cooking discreetly when no-one else was around, which was easy to do as they weren't around much.

The ad described it as a semi-vegetarian house anyway, the two others were vegetarians, so it was still 66% veggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

A guy I worked with told a group he was a very good cook ...

awkward moment when he moved in and everyone expected him to be cooking great dinners for them when really he was a dreadful cook and actually couldn't cook at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I pretended to be a vegetarian for a year to get a really cheap room, and it worked.

I actually tried being a vegetarian for a week or two but started to crave meat so from then on I did my cooking discreetly when no-one else was around, which was easy to do as they weren't around much.

The ad described it as a semi-vegetarian house anyway, the two others were vegetarians, so it was still 66% veggie.

So you had to adhere to somebody else's principles/beliefs just to rent a room :eek: I'd have told them to fook right off and tried to hide a bit of sirloin steak around the house while being shown the rooms!

Obviously I'd call back the next day looking for me steak back, that stuff aint cheap :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I told them that the house was built by General Custer in 1825.

Don't know why I thought it'd work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Ah, why did you have to be a vegetarian to get a room? :confused:

I told them that the house was built by General Custer in 1825.

Don't know why I thought it'd work

well for some reason its working on me, i'd like to move in please... :cool:

kfallon wrote: »
    So you had to adhere to somebody else's principles/beliefs just to rent a room :eek: I'd have told them to fook right off and tried to hide a bit of sirloin steak around the house while being shown the rooms!

Obviously I'd call back the next day looking for me steak back, that stuff aint cheap :p

It did feel a bit strange alright, but it was stipulated in the ad, and it was all under the table, cash in hand so I had no-one to complain to (I think I was technically lodging).
    I actually thought I'd have no problem going veggie, but I didn't realise how much I missed meat!

I think everyone knew I wasn't always cooking vegetarian stuff but didn't mind as long as I didn't stink the place out with meat fumes or leave it lying around.
    And one housemate was a sixties burnout whom I could cook meat in front of and they wouldn't realise it was meat if it was in a sauce.

But ultimately, it was so cheap and in such a great spot that I was more than willing to compromise to get the room. :)
    Originally Posted by SouthTippBass
    Ah, why did you have to be a vegetarian to get a room?

The ad stated it was a semi-veggie, semi-hippy house, and at the interview it was made clear that "semi" actually meant "completely!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

I have a friend who works in XXX who can get tickets for [insert matches, concerts, etc ] Another friend who works in a travel agents is always ringing me and saying he has a ticket for someone to go to [insert destination] in a 5 star hotel for a week for €20. It is terrible because I can never get off work and i have to say i don't know anyone who will go at such short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I went to view a apartment in IFSC and the guy asked how I'd feel about coming home and seeing him being fingered in the ass by a girl.

I said it would be grand but secretly I was disgusted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Kosseegan wrote:
    I have a friend who works in XXX who can get tickets for [insert matches, concerts, etc ] Another friend who works in a travel agents is always ringing me and saying he has a ticket for someone to go to [insert destination] in a 5 star hotel for a week for €20. It is terrible because I can never get off work and i have to say i don't know anyone who will go at such short notice.

the football tickets are not cheap... if your being offered a football ticket and 5 star hotel for €20 it's probably not a guarentee'd ticket or a fake ticket.

we have gaurentee'd tickets for sale at the travel agency where i work (ive seen them) .... i can tell you now they are not cheap.

the tickets alone are €30 for the sh!t seats €70 for the behind the goal seats and €120 for the seats along the sides

factor in a 5 star hotel and your adding in at least a few hundred more for the hotel room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't try to impress them. Basically it's:

"I have money. You want cheaper rent? Let me live here."

I went to view a apartment in IFSC and the guy asked how I'd feel about coming home and seeing him being fingered in the ass by a girl.

WTF?

well did ye see in the end?

and i'd rather be homeless would have been my answer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I told them that I would pay my fair share of the rent and bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 rtunes

Oh OP I was looking for someone recently - shame we didn't cross paths. It's the same for the person doing the interviewing - "Erm, would you like to come and live with me?" It's always a little awkward for both sides. Got another cool flatmate though. I've been very lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It did feel a bit strange alright, but it was stipulated in the ad, and it was all under the table, cash in hand so I had no-one to complain to (I think I was technically lodging).
    I actually thought I'd have no problem going veggie, but I didn't realise how much I missed meat!

I think everyone knew I wasn't always cooking vegetarian stuff but didn't mind as long as I didn't stink the place out with meat fumes or leave it lying around.
    And one housemate was a sixties burnout whom I could cook meat in front of and they wouldn't realise it was meat if it was in a sauce.

But ultimately, it was so cheap and in such a great spot that I was more than willing to compromise to get the room. :)

Just like your steak n' sausages :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

'I'm not trying to impress you, but............I'm Batman'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Domo230 wrote: »
    I would have stayed.

It's about time someone in the international financial services sector got shafted up the arse.

Gumma panda should have offered to shove his whole paw with nails out up his bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

The ad stated it was a semi-veggie, semi-hippy house, and at the interview it was made clear that "semi" actually meant "completely!"

Them damn hippies.

Although if I was renting out a room and stipulated non smokers, I'd be pissed off if someone pulled some trickery pokery on me like what you did except with vegetables...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

the football tickets are not cheap... if your being offered a football ticket and 5 star hotel for €20 it's probably not a guarentee'd ticket or a fake ticket.

we have gaurentee'd tickets for sale at the travel agency where i work (ive seen them) .... i can tell you now they are not cheap.

the tickets alone are €30 for the sh!t seats €70 for the behind the goal seats and €120 for the seats along the sides

factor in a 5 star hotel and your adding in at least a few hundred more for the hotel room
    Don't tell your potential flatmates any of that.

The hotel deal is separate in my case from the other tickets in my case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

What's the most ridiculous thing you said to try and impress potential house mates??

I don't like to throw my hard earned cash into the bin so I don't rent.

but

HAW HAW

Them damn hippies.

Although if I was renting out a room and stipulated non smokers, I'd be pissed off if someone pulled some trickery pokery on me like what you did except with vegetables...

If they'd told me they wanted me to stop cooking meat I would've put my hands up and said "fair enough," but luckily we had different timetables and I never really had to go to any trouble to avoid cooking when no-one else (who was lucid) was around.

When I realised that I wouldn't be able to stand not eating meat I though about telling them, but luckily I never really had to.

Plus, I got to feel like a really crap spy with nothing to do at work who has to get his spy fix by clandestinely cooking illicit meat at home without leaving a trace of its presence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Sad flucks "interviewing" and for what? To gain access to some kip to share with a bunch of random people and help pay their rent - it's bad making small talk with people at work but to have to continue with the painful small talk and walk on egg shells after arriving home is too much.

Renting with strangers and the "interview" process is pathetic (beyond when you're around 27)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Plus, I got to feel like a really crap spy with nothing to do at work who has to get his spy fix by clandestinely cooking illicit meat at home without leaving a trace of its presence.

It's the simple thrills that make us feel alive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

deccurley wrote: »
    'I'm not trying to impress you, but............I'm Batman'

Why are you looking to rent when you're a millionaire ?!

{ is unimpressed }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭@rti-shm@rti

Motorist wrote: »
    Sad flucks "interviewing" and for what? To gain access to some kip to share with a bunch of random people and help pay their rent - it's bad making small talk with people at work but to have to continue with the painful small talk and walk on egg shells after arriving home is too much.

Renting with strangers and the "interview" process is pathetic (beyond when you're around 27)

:confused::confused: But I'm not minted ergo I can't afford my own kip

Slinks away feeling a tad bit pathetic. Damn the lifetime of boozing on jager when deposits should have been accumulating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Kosseegan wrote:

That's the lie he's telling, see??? It's outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'm morgan freeman's cousin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Was condition that you had to watch? I have an image you you crying in the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

During the interview I lay down on my back put my knees over my shoulders and held a lit lighter to my arse and said " wait until you see this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

grizzly wrote: »

Was condition that you had to watch? I have an image you you crying in the corner.

Nope but I he said he was into the horse racing so I might have to watch that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

grizzly wrote: »

Nope but I he said he was into the horse racing so I might have to watch that
    Can't believe no one has copped it yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

I said 'hello'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I've always tried to be the first one renting a place so I can vet the ones who want to share with me.

Of course that hasn't stopped me choosing some absolute **** over the years. Some seem great at the start and then turn out to be, erm, not so great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

One girl asked to try out the bed (actually makes sense but I have a dirty mind), she turned out to be psyco and used to watch me sleeping I found out later when I clocked her with a slipper to the head.

Was not impressed however a few years later when a french guy asked the same and started thrusting in the air as he lay there saying he wanted to see if it squeeked!...also my add specifically asked for no french but the always turn up!

Got caught by a "non-smoker" too - still live with her almost 5 years later and she's finally quit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

We have a toilet, it works.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement