Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mistaken identity!

• 17-05-2012 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

So today I was hurrying along to meet a friend who was giving me a lift somewhere.Ii was finsihing off a smoke and saw a woman and who I presume were her two teenage kids sitting on a bench.

The mother screeches out to me 'have you got a spare fag?' to which I shake my head as I hurry past.

The 'son' then says, 'well, f*ck off back to Poland then' :D

I am not Polish, never even been there, but am curious as to why someone would say that out of nowehere. :D

:p:p:p

Anyone else here been mistaken for another nationality?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's because you shook your head instead of speaking. You were either Polish or mute, they took a punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i always tell those irish scroungers to learn to live within their means..
    the irish ones can get dole, ra, and even child benefit if they have kids...

if they cant afford fags then they need to quit or learn to budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No. :rolleyes:

phasers wrote: »
    it's because you shook your head instead of speaking. You were either Polish or mute, they took a punt.

Smoke was in my mouth at the time but yeah, maybe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The mother screeches out to me 'have you got a spare fag?' to which I shake my head as I hurry past.

I like the fact their requirement for Polish immigration is a spare cigarette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I have sallow skin and dark hair, I have been asked if I'm Spanish. I always reply "aye, I am to be sure", in my Donegal accent :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

When I was younger I used to get taken for a Spanish exchange student a lot :mad:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Possibility you could look slightly eastern european? you might have a distant slavic ancestor.

Had a shop worker in templebar approach me and start speaking spanish to me once, they apologised profusely when I explained I didn't speak spanish and came from the wesht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They noticed that you didn't use the proper response to "Have you got a spare fag?", which is "**** off ya dole scrounger!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

I have sallow skin and dark hair, I have been asked if I'm Spanish. I always reply "aye, I am to be sure", in my Donegal accent :O

I have pale skin and red hair- admittedly dyed- so couldn't look more Irish and still get mistaken as polish! Wish i looked Spanish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Yup.

Used to work in a Centra, and while serving a woman at the checkout one day the guy behind her was staring at me saying "go back to Poland, go back to Poland" over and over, even while I was serving him, and my thick country accent proved I wasn't Polish...

I do have dark hair and sallow skin, have been asked if I'm Spanish or have Spanish roots before, but nope, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

A Slovakian co-worker once told me I didn't look Irish as I looked more like I was made from stone than other Irish people.
    Still not sure if that was a compliment or not.

I don't believe it anyway, as I look like Sinéad O'Connor, and she's Irish.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Possibility you could look slightly eastern european? you might have a distant slavic ancestor.

Had a shop worker in templebar approach me and start speaking spanish to me once, they apologised profusely when I explained I didn't speak spanish and came from the wesht.

Father's side is Danish, I am very fair. Must mean I look Polish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Domo230 wrote: »
    Don't walk so slowly while taking up half the street with your pals and you won't be.
    I didn't have any pals :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

So today I was hurrying along to meet a friend who was giving me a lift somewhere.Ii was finsihing off a smoke and saw a woman and who I presume were her two teenage kids sitting on a bench.

I am not Polish, never even been there, but am curious as to why someone would say that out of nowehere. :D

You should have told him to **** back off in to his daddy's ballsack. He'd be still trying to figure out which one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I used to be mistaken for either "French or Italian" by some people.

It was probably the beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I get mistaken for Russian a fair bit. Twice in one day once. I asked my friends if they didn't know I was Irish, where would they think I was from and 90% said Russia too :confused: I've been told it's because I've got dark hair and light eyes but I would've thought that those were fairly standard Irish characteristics as well? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

OP were you dressed all in black and standing in the doorway to a pub/club per chance with an ear piece and a neck as thick as your thigh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

People think it's funny to point out that I look like the Western depiction of Jesus, so maybe they think I'm Israeli.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

frag420 wrote: »
    OP were you dressed all in black and standing in the doorway to a pub/club per chance with an ear piece and a neck as thick as your thigh??

I think if all bouncers were called sunflower27, and had to wear large, brightly-coloured nametags, the world much be a much better place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Pakistani. Purely on the basis that I worked in a call centre.

Although the callers exact description was Paki Ba$tard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

another, i look foreign or was mistaken for being foreign because of my lovely tan, thread now

ugh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Spare fag? Not at 9.45 a pack I don't, I'm constantly harranged by strangers outside Heuston station looking for cigarette hand outs, very annoying altogether.

To address your question OP I've sallow skin and brown eyes so I've often been asked do I have some foreign connection. The auld Spanish Armada gene lives. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

A woman in France last summer was asking me for directions and I just couldn't remember the French word for what I was trying to tell her (roundabout or dual carriageway or something...) - so, trying to find another common language, she says (in French) "What's your native language? Arabic?".

I have red hair and very pale skin. What Arabic-speaking country does she think I'm from?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Father's side is Danish, I am very fair. Must mean I look Polish :)

how you doin'?;)

They sound like a delightful family :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

maybe you're just hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

While on a school trip, French people thought I was French (yet mysteriously, surrounded by Irish or English students).
    I don't have a comically big nose, but my comically small head and face makes it look that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was presenting a radio show a cuple of years ago, and some tool text the station asking when did the start employing Neil Delamere :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

you should have told him to f**K off back to Mongolia

ignorance is bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I got mistaken for being English once while in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

i volunteer in the city and myself(irish),the chef (polish) and another guy (romanian) all working away, myself and the romanian guy were makeing up sandwiches.....

anyway two more volunteers show up the chef knew them but myself and the other guy we never met them before....anyway we all working away and then i hear ure man say chef were the boys from they look polish:rolleyes:.
    whats the story with them...ha ha jesus i said in my own mind.

chef broke down laughing....after the laughing stoped sorry he said looks can be deciveing...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

A while back when I worked in a shop I served a scummy looking bloke who looked me square on and said "what the **** are you looking at?". Not knowing what he was talking about I replied, "what's your problem?"."Oh sorry mate", he said, "I thought you were a foreigner", and walked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

OP mistook us for people who give a f***!

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    OP mistook us for people who give a f***!

I mistook you for nothing. I asked if anyone had been mistaken for another nationality. You were under no obligation to reply and it would have been better if you hadn't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I get mistaken for Russain a fair bit.

are you sure your not just in a hurry? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

phasers wrote: »

Shouldn't have responded at all. I never acknowledge the existence of scumbags, it's the only language they seem to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I mistook you for nothing. I asked if anyone had been mistaken for another nationality. You were under no obligation to reply and it would have been better if you hadn't :)
    :(

You're a scary person OP.
    Are you German?

*crawls back into box*

Where To wrote: »
    :(

You're a scary person OP.
    Are you German?

*crawls back into box*

Stay there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Once again I'm reminded of a scene from father ted :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC7s17K2uMY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

A polish guy once stopped me on the street and started talking to me in polish.

I'm not polish. But apparently I have a "big polish head" up on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

I was over in Munich earlier in the year with some friends and we were talking to some German people.

We'd said we're from Ireland and one of the lads says "Oh you look like you're Airen", and we say "you mean Eireann? As in Irish?" thinking that it was mighty impressive that he knew that.

He goes "No, no, Airen, blond hair, blue eyes, you know, Hitler liked the Aryans." Didn't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

I live in Cumbria and people over here don't seem to know the difference between a Northern Irish accent and a 'Southern' Irish (that's another annoyance, don't get me started on that one) one. The usual conversation goes like this -
    Them "Oh, are you Irish?"
    Me "Yes"
    Them "I've been to Belfast once."
    Me (In my head) "Grrrrrrrrrr!"

The usual thing I say when they ask if I'm from Northern or Southern Ireland is that I'm from the West. Totally confuses them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Unlucky, OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I live in Cumbria and people over here don't seem to know the difference between a Northern Irish accent and a 'Southern' Irish (that's another annoyance, don't get me started on that one) one. The usual conversation goes like this -
    Them "Oh, are you Irish?"
    Me "Yes"
    Them "I've been to Belfast once."
    Me (In my head) "Grrrrrrrrrr!"

The usual thing I say when they ask if I'm from Northern or Southern Ireland is that I'm from the West. Totally confuses them.

I'm from Donegal and when I lived in Dublin, a lot of people would ask if we took the Euro up there *bangs head repeatedly off wall* :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

You started this thread just to boast that someone thought you were a Polish mot, didn't ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I had an Italian couple speak Italian to me..so I guess I look Italian........or maybe its because I was in Italy at the time.
    Im a scandanavian version of Forest Gump though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It's happened to me a few times in Ireland. :D

Once, I was speaking Finnish to my daughter in a pub in Portarlington when a middle-aged women we don't know snarled "Speak English or go back to Poland!" at us. I replied: "Fcuk off! I'll speak whatever language I want, and you speak whatever one you can.":):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Funny, I was once called a mexican b*tch because I didnt have a spare cigarette!!:eek: Broke Smokers can be grumpy...:D

Im brazilian btw but i guess i might also look mexican or italian or some kind of spanish...:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement