Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mistaken identity!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

A lot of people have asked me what part of Scotland I'm from........never been there and my folks are Irish. Must be my Donegal accent lol

I'm from Donegal and when I lived in Dublin, a lot of people would ask if we took the Euro up there *bangs head repeatedly off wall* :mad:

Had the exact same lots of times lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

yup all the time french or spanish!! when i was growing up ppl used to scream at me in town go back to ur own country ya ******! (cos i have olive skin)

even ppl from spain and france speak to me thinking i am from there makes me chuckle now!!!

no1 ever thinks im irish :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I was presenting a radio show a cuple of years ago, and some tool text the station asking when did the start employing Neil Delamere :mad:

:D

I get asked "Are you Irish?" a lot when out. People think I'm eastern European. I'm pale with red hair. :confused: Maybe its the tallness and, er, approachability? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

The 'son' then says, 'well, f*ck off back to Poland then' :D

i would have yelled out "good enough to take a fag off though ya racist prick" jesus some people have no manners or class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

You must be slim and beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I was told I looked Lithuanian ... thought that was random of all the places like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

rain on wrote: »
    When I was younger I used to get taken for a Spanish exchange student a lot :mad:
    So you have a good ass, pert tits and a sexy accent....oh lucky you!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I was told I looked Lithuanian ... thought that was random of all the places like.

That is fairly random!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I'm from Donegal and when I lived in Dublin, a lot of people would ask if we took the Euro up there *bangs head repeatedly off wall* :mad:

Do you accept euro in Donegal, but?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

People think I'm polish, therefore I must be hot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Junkie ginger prìck across the road does it all the time. "hallo jeff.." we don't look remotely alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

When I was in Ireland I was asked a few times was I Polish/Swedish/German cause I'm blonde.

Now I'm in Canada and whenever I try to hang out with the international students they don't include me or think I'm campus staff because I'm white and they don't think I'm an international student but Canadian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I'm a Donegal/Scot who never lost their Scottish accent but it softened considerably over the years with a good while being spent in Belfaaaast/London......Scots think I'm Northern Irish, Northern Irish think I'm Scots & Donegal people vary wildly between the two.....It's the first conversation I have with everyone.....Where's that accent from?? Got me quite a lot of male attention through the years too!!

As for looks..........I was once mistaken for Geraldine Harney!! I knew who she was but not what she looked like and it became apparent that the lady who made the mistake had been her neighbour in the recent past! I could only picture Mary:eek::eek::eek: Nearly broke my neck to get to a PC to google her, all the while convincing myself "Mary has a pretty face, if she lost the weight!!"........Thankfully, Geraldine is wearing well, so between that and the accent......I did OK.....Mr. Pandora thinks so anyway ;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Where To wrote: »
    :(

You're a scary person OP.
    Are you German?

*crawls back into box*

The Lady doesn't mince her words:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

In college I was once mistaken for a Brazilian exchange student :rolleyes:

Due to having mostly South African friends for several years, would constantly be asked "How long have you lived in Ireland?", to which I would reply "X years", X being my age at the given time - and they'd usually reply "Wow, you're nearly Irish so!"

Was asked more than once, in England, if I was American.

I have a definite Irish accent, a little bit Wexford, a little bit south Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

lividduck wrote: »
    So you have a good ass, pert tits and a sexy accent....oh lucky you!:D:D

As long it is not actually a bloke posting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

What about an Irish born black man been called a Nigerian seriously being black doesn't mean you are from Nigeria you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

When I was in Ireland last my housemate phoned me because we had to sort out a bank transfer or something. Was waiting for a bus in Dublin and talking to him in German (his English is atrocious). There were a bunch of kids behind me who started mumbling about "F*cking foreigners etc".

So I turned around and said, "Shut yer holes or I'll bleeding burst yah." Then continued to talk in German.

It was priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When my sister was working in a Centra or Spar, she used to regularly get mistaken for being Polish. She's tall, blonde and good-looking so she'd often get Polish people coming to her and speaking to her in Polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

was asked this by an Irish girl of asian descent the other day. conversation went a bit like this
    You're not Irish are you?
    me..yeah I am.
    but you're not really Irish though
    yeah I'm Irish
    but originally where are you from
    oh ok, *thinks I'm half Czech/Italian.
    see I knew it

I'm Irish Irish.

I thought she was a foreign too though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

For some reason when I'm on the continent people always think I'm Dutch. Always Dutch. I'm not remotely tight with money.

Also last year some French people approached me thinking I was French, I'm not a bit French looking though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I've got mistaken for a 'gowl'.

I don't even have 1. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    I've got mistaken for a 'gowl'.

I don't even have 1. :(

you wearing your mammy's dresses and high heels again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I was frequently mistaken for being Spanish when I lived in Spain. Three times in three different parts of the country, I was asked for directions. Funnily enough, on each occasion, I was able to direct them exactly where they needed to go! It proved handy on a few occasions when I didn't want to stand out from the crowd too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Was once told by my history teacher that I would've fit in well with Hitler's master "aryan race", due to my fair hair and blue eyes.

He also told the only black student that I probably would've killed him. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I was in the USA a few years ago chatting to an American guy. Nice chap. He was trying to guess my accent, and the first thing he comes out with is, "Russian?" Now, I have red hair, freckles, pale pale skin and a Dublin accent. I was most amused :pac:

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Was once told by my history teacher that I would've fit in well with Hitler's master "aryan race", due to my fair hair and blue eyes.

He also told the only black student that I probably would've killed him. :D

That's a bit rough for a teacher to say!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I get mistaken for a cúnt a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I used to get mistaken for a friend a lot and lately I've been mistaken for a girl I'm great friends with's boyfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

When I was in Australia, I was mistaken as being English or Scottish and even French once. And this was after I spoke.

But the best was being mistaken for being English when I was in Cork. And I'm from Cork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I get mistaken for a cúnt a lot.

Mistaken?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

The mother screeches out to me 'have you got a spare fag?' to which I shake my head as I hurry past.

Be great if you whipped Graham Norton out of your pocket and threw him at them.

Advertisement