Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Home As Business Address

Options
  • 17-05-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a business but it is one that I can't expect to have a clientele without doing groundwork first. Initially I'm thinking of using my home address as a place to get and receive mail though if I can build up a clientele I will be finding a venue to conduct the business. Does this pose any legal/mortgage/insurance problems as currently it is literally just me working on my own and no customer has stepped over the threshold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ultramate

Hi, I do not know, but have just seen this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056648603

Hopefully it will help a bit ;)

Good luck,
    Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ultramate wrote: »
    Hi, I do not know, but have just seen this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056648603

Hopefully it will help a bit ;)

Good luck,
    Ed.

If you don't have a dedicated office, ie work from the kitchen table or corner of the spare room then you shouldn't have to pay rates.

You will be able to claim for a portion of your utility bills as business expenses but not mortgage or rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tiptops

Could you go down the route of buying a portacabin and installing in your garden, Filling cabint, office desk, no water, no power, just a simple 10x8 cabin. I see alot of these where people sell cars from there home. Im talking about outside dublin. not in a housing estate ect.

Regards

Tiptops,

1. How do you get your laptop/desktop computer powered up?
    2. What about lighting? I have seen them being used in DIT, but without lighting it wouldn't be a good idea...

3. You still go into the toilet during the day, don't you?

4. Price...

5, 6, 7 ....

Heh, clever idea for some situation anyways. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It could have planning implications, here's a good background written from the side of the small business person

http://www.riai.ie/uploads/files/Architects_working_from_Home_Landuse_Implications.pdf

• Advertisement

Does that mean one cannot run a home based business without legally 'converting' a premise into the business work area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Does that mean one cannot run a home based business without legally 'converting' a premise into the business work area?

I run my business from the kitchen table, my office is my iPhone. :D

What type of business are you trying to run?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056669078 ;)

I would be running it from the table in a living room or maybe from my own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Tiptops,

1. How do you get your laptop/desktop computer powered up?
    2. What about lighting? I have seen them being used in DIT, but without lighting it wouldn't be a good idea...

3. You still go into the toilet during the day, don't you?

4. Price...

5, 6, 7 ....

Heh, clever idea for some situation anyways. :)
    1 & 2 are solved with a car battery, voltage regulator & solar panel
    3 bucket, shovel & pit - We be green don't we? :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It depends where you live.

Some housing estates have very strict zoning which does not allow businesses to operate there

Having said that, if your business doesn't involve lots of delivery vehicles and people parking outside etc etc., then it might not impact you.

• Advertisement

Blacknight, thank you for an input. Much appreciated ;)

I already thought about legality of it.. I also think that it does apply to me because I live in the middle of a private housing estate where are lost of kids in the streets, or around, pretty often and most of the days. Moreover, Lease Agreement states that 'No business can be run from an apartment'... :( You can try go around it, but I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

So I am pretty clear now that I would have to look for a corner to work from and some space to keep all the stuff. Shed kind of space is plenty for me, yet even that costs and is hard to find these days.

Advertisement