Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone know of somewhere around D15 to get some big snails?

Options
  • 17-05-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

i'm looking for about half a dozen decent sized snails for algae cleaning duty on my 260L tropical aquarium and i was wondering if anyone had any they wanted rid of or knew anywhere i could buy a few reasonably cheaply?

thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Fins Fur Feathers had loads of apple snails a week or so ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

If you want them to get rid of algae, you need to get nerite snails.

Apple snails are not great for removing algae, they don't have the right mouths, and the amount of waste they produce actually contributes more to any algae and outweighs whatever they remove.

I've four nerites in my 350L, they had it spotless in two weeks, and the back had been covered in algae.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Fins Fur Feathers had loads of apple snails a week or so ago.

They have a 30% off this weekend:D

As they moving to artane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

does anyone know where they are? i checked the website but it's down being redone for the move. i'm getting a couple of apple snails from fungun on monday and i do like them so i'm happy to clear up after them, but nerites sounds like a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nerites are your only man for cleaning algae, I can't recommend them highly enough. Apples look good but don't do much cleaning up.

Female nerites will lay little white eggs everywhere though. They won't hatch, but they're not very pretty.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    does anyone know where they are? i checked the website but it's down being redone for the move. i'm getting a couple of apple snails from fungun on monday and i do like them so i'm happy to clear up after them, but nerites sounds like a good idea too.

:eek:

Fungun, were my poor snails mean to you or something? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Silverfish wrote: »

oops, hope i didn't get him in trouble. :o

so,can anyone tell me where fins fur & feathers is? :o

website is still down for the move (i guess) and google maps is no help.

edit: found them. :)

Fins Fur & Feathers. Unit 7, Seatown Business Campus, Seatown Rd, Swords, Co Dublin. (01-8079247)

not going to have time to get to swords tomo tho before they move, got my nieces 16th to go to. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Silverfish wrote: »

just sharing the joy!! :pac: They are all getting along fine, they look great actually. If you have spare ones and are looking to move them, then by all means trump my offer, im happy with my ones but was just helping out :)

fungun wrote: »
    just sharing the joy!! :pac: They are all getting along fine, they look great actually. If you have spare ones and are looking to move them, then by all means trump my offer, im happy with my ones but was just helping out :)

Haha, no that's fine, I still have loads but I'm not happy with their condition at the moment, so I'm giving them calcium and growing them up a bit more before moving them on.

Advertisement