Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!My Hair is falling out!!

• 17-05-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has some advice for me please? After years of highlighting and straightening my hair, I have noticed in recent weeks how much my hair is falling out...It is literally falling out in huge clumps when I am in the shower and no matter what I wear it is covered in strands of hair almost immediately. I only have to slightly tug the ends of my hair (when tieing up or something) and loads of hair just comes out...I know it is normal for strands of hair to fall out but I am genuinely really worried that I'm going to get a bald patch or something! :(

I have stopped using straighteners, only blowdry when necessary and I use the best products I think I can on my hair...kerastase shampoo and conditioner, moroccan oil before blowdrying or as a night treatment...

Is there anything else I can do?? Does anyone know what the possible reasons for this could be? I have been stressed with personal issues too lately but I don't think that could cause so much hair loss could it?? I really want to go to the hairdressers aswel for a good cut which will help the ends obviously but I'm too embarassed that they will be shocked at the state of my hair!! What do i do??? It's getting me down so much that I tie my hair back constantly and cannot bear to even try and style it or look at it in the mirror...:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has some advice for me please? After years of highlighting and straightening my hair, I have noticed in recent weeks how much my hair is falling out...It is literally falling out in huge clumps when I am in the shower and no matter what I wear it is covered in strands of hair almost immediately. I only have to slightly tug the ends of my hair (when tieing up or something) and loads of hair just comes out...I know it is normal for strands of hair to fall out but I am genuinely really worried that I'm going to get a bald patch or something! :(

I have stopped using straighteners, only blowdry when necessary and I use the best products I think I can on my hair...kerastase shampoo and conditioner, moroccan oil before blowdrying or as a night treatment...

Is there anything else I can do?? Does anyone know what the possible reasons for this could be? I have been stressed with personal issues too lately but I don't think that could cause so much hair loss could it?? I really want to go to the hairdressers aswel for a good cut which will help the ends obviously but I'm too embarassed that they will be shocked at the state of my hair!! What do i do??? It's getting me down so much that I tie my hair back constantly and cannot bear to even try and style it or look at it in the mirror...:(

Try not to worry banana buster, I don't know anything about hair loss but if I were you I would go to a hairdresser there is no need to be embarrassed. How is your diet? I know my friend is talking perfectil and is finding it very good. The highlights and heat don't do anyone's hair any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Anything can cause hair loss- stress, bad diet, thyroid problems, genetics etc. If its really bad go to your gp and get a blood test to rule out anything health wise. Sometimes all that's needed is an iron supplement. But sometimes there can be an underlying condition causing it. Stress doesn't help though whatever the cause is.

If you're really embarrassed about going to the hairdressers i know that Dylan bradshaw in Dublin are great about my alopecia so maybe go there. They are expensive though! But id say most places are grand about it though, i mean they know hair best so they know its just one of those things!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 barbs28

Ah you cratur! Go and see your doctor, it could be the stress that's causing it, I don't think the hair dye or straightening is to blame. Have you started or stopped taking any medication lately because that can cause hair loss. Try taking the perfectil tablets, they are meant to be great

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

I know it's stressful...my daughter has been suffering this and after a visit to the dr. and a blood test, it showed her iron levels very low. She's been taking an iron supplement for 6 weeks and noticed an improvement ...so maybe worth checking with your dr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Get checked out by your GP definitely to get the all clear. I suffer from this when I start to diet. Usually taking a multi vitamin clears it up but it takes a couple of months or so for the patches to start regrowing. Do you just have patches of baldness or is it a general thinning of the hair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 bananabuster

Thanks everyone for all of the kind replies..
    SlimCi wrote: »
    Get checked out by your GP definitely to get the all clear. I suffer from this when I start to diet. Usually taking a multi vitamin clears it up but it takes a couple of months or so for the patches to start regrowing. Do you just have patches of baldness or is it a general thinning of the hair?
    No patches of baldness yet anyway that I can see..my hair has always been very thick and dry so I wouldn't say its thinning..I haven't been consciously dieting lately but to be honest I have been eating very little due to stress so I suppose that makes sense..it's just worrying because its stressing me even more and I'm afraid it won't stop now..
    I know it's stressful...my daughter has been suffering this and after a visit to the dr. and a blood test, it showed her iron levels very low. She's been taking an iron supplement for 6 weeks and noticed an improvement ...so maybe worth checking with your dr.
    Is there a reason for low iron levels or might it just be genetic or something? I used to faint alot when I was younger and people used to tell me I had low iron levels..
    barbs28 wrote: »
    Ah you cratur! Go and see your doctor, it could be the stress that's causing it, I don't think the hair dye or straightening is to blame. Have you started or stopped taking any medication lately because that can cause hair loss. Try taking the perfectil tablets, they are meant to be great
    I have started to take anxiety meds in the last few months but I checked the side-effects and couldn't see anything but that could be a possibility I suppose..I wonder is that a normal response to meds or if mayb I should ask my doc to prescribe something else instead..

I really need to work up the courage to go to the hairdresser first of all anyway and get the dry ends chopped off..I just need a whole new head of hair I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

we can't give medical advice here go to the doctor. blood tests can look at your iron stores, your throid function etc.and will probably answer your questions better than we can. If your bloods are fine then you can look to other causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I have started to take anxiety meds in the last few months but I checked the side-effects and couldn't see anything but that could be a possibility I suppose..I wonder is that a normal response to meds or if mayb I should ask my doc to prescribe something else instead..

Hair loss might be a side-effect of the anxiety itself, not necessarily the medication. But that's best taken up with your doctor. Either way I hope it gets sorted soon, getting some supplements or herbal remedies might be all you need :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

We cannot offer medical advice here, and that seems to be where to direction of the thread is going. Best off to consult a doctor OP. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement