Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIB...

Options
  • 17-05-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

..when is a bank not a bank...Been with NIB for 25 yrs but with the recent changes i find that it just doesnt suit my needs..so my question is , is it easy to close my account and transfer my savings/ direct debits ets to a new bank..or does it require a load of form filling and trips to my NIB bank..any help appreciated...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Sids Not wrote: »
    ..when is a bank not a bank...Been with NIB for 25 yrs but with the recent changes i find that it just doesnt suit my needs..so my question is , is it easy to close my account and transfer my savings/ direct debits ets to a new bank..or does it require a load of form filling and trips to my NIB bank..any help appreciated...:)

Open a new account (letting them know you are switching), then follow the account switching process:

http://www.nca.ie/nca/switching-accounts

this will cover your current account, but savings accounts dont have the same process..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm not sure who's need's they're trying to suit tbh. Started with cashless bank, was told in Walkinstown today that they're not accepting cheque lodgements there anymore and to lodge cheque via the post office. I think Walt Disney owns them now, cos it sure turned into a Mickey Mouse bank.

So to help with your Q, i think you'll now "have to make an appointment" with another bank to give them your business, as I discovered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Thanks for the help guys...just waiting for a cheque to clear then "i'm outta there"......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I get the distinct impression that NIB don't want regular day-to-day banking customers anymore.

They're just getting progressively less and less practical to deal with in a normal way and they don't seem to care. So, I can only assume they don't want people to bank with them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

I have to agree NIB are gone to the dogs, I have been using them scince 1997, I put up with the cashless bank ( A bit like a chipper that don't do chips!!!) But the end came Friday when I went to the branch in Kilkenny to lodge two cheques to be told sorry we don't do that anymore. Go to a post office. HMMM so I can do that with my card. NO you need a lodgment book I will have to order one for you. Great so no money next week:mad: I have now opened a new account with the BOI and will be closing my account with The NIB as soon as I sort out direct debits etc what a shower of w***ers . you can't but money in and you can't get money out lol They are having a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I have to go against the grain here and say the changes to NIB have worked out much better and actually improved my banking experience.

At first I was annoyed that a bank could go cashless and I considered moving banks, but now it's actually much better. If I want to lodge cash/a cheque I go to a post office - there are a hell of a lot more Post Offices than NIB brances and they are open longer - my local is open 7 days a week, until 6pm mon-wed, until 8pm thurs fri and 9-5 saturday and sunday. It's more convenient as the branches used to close at 4pm weekdays and all day saturday and sunday.

As well as that there are no more queues at a branch if I have a query or need a statement. Everyone now has a personal financial advisor and with the recent switchover to fees (which was inevitable, every bank has them now) mine told me the reason they for all the change is that they are becoming more of an advisory bank for investments/loans/accounts etc. I find I never really have to use the branch anymore, I can do all my banking either online or through the post office after work or at the weekends if I have a lodgement.

I can see why people are dismayed but it has worked out really well and I can see it suiting 90% of people if they thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

That a fair enough comment but as I am self employed I don't lodge every week or month, or have wages go trough every week. Did you get a lodgement book in the post!! Or how did you find out you can't lodge a cheque. The lack of communication with this crowd is bad to say the least. I feel like they have a sod them attitude , Wait until you go in and then tell you. It is not good enough. Also as for cash less banking if you cant draw down say 1600 euro in a branch, They shold not be charging for bank drafts. But I do agree a post office is handier for me also. But then why have a bank account ?

Elessar wrote: »
    I have to go against the grain here and say the changes to NIB have worked out much better and actually improved my banking experience.

At first I was annoyed that a bank could go cashless and I considered moving banks, but now it's actually much better. If I want to lodge cash/a cheque I go to a post office - there are a hell of a lot more Post Offices than NIB brances and they are open longer - my local is open 7 days a week, until 6pm mon-wed, until 8pm thurs fri and 9-5 saturday and sunday. It's more convenient as the branches used to close at 4pm weekdays and all day saturday and sunday.

As well as that there are no more queues at a branch if I have a query or need a statement. Everyone now has a personal financial advisor and with the recent switchover to fees (which was inevitable, every bank has them now) mine told me the reason they for all the change is that they are becoming more of an advisory bank for investments/loans/accounts etc. I find I never really have to use the branch anymore, I can do all my banking either online or through the post office after work or at the weekends if I have a lodgement.

I can see why people are dismayed but it has worked out really well and I can see it suiting 90% of people if they thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Elessar wrote: »

Not all Post Offices accept Cheque Bags for NIB lodgments.

You can use a card for cash lodgments but not for Cheques, you need the bags and the giros .

NIB never really had a queue problem, or maybe that was just my branch. I think the most was one ahead of me. Their 'advisory' service never had a queue because of an appointment system - which remains in place.

You can't walk in and discuss account or investment services without an appointment.

Their advisory service is obviously not independent financial advice and as such, it extends to their products alone.

The only advice I ever got was to open a custody account, which I since closed. They don't offer true investment advice, but then you can't really expect this from their branch staff as they are not an investment broker.

The real reason for fees and downscaling is the losses they incur here in Ireland.

The Northern operation is and continues to operate as a Bank in the traditional sense.

I just got an email from Northern Bank advising my branch will be opening on Saturday from June this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

That a fair enough comment but as I am self employed I don't lodge every week or month, or have wages go trough every week. Did you get a lodgement book in the post!! Or how did you find out you can't lodge a cheque. The lack of communication with this crowd is bad to say the least. I feel like they have a sod them attitude , Wait until you go in and then tell you. It is not good enough. Also as for cash less banking if you cant draw down say 1600 euro in a branch, They shold not be charging for bank drafts. But I do agree a post office is handier for me also. But then why have a bank account ?

To manage direct debits, keep track of your finances, to pay bills, there are lots of reasons. I agree their communication could be much better, I only found out about the cheque lodgement scenario when I went into my local branch and saw the sign at the desk. They are reactive rather than proactive. I had to ask for the lodgement book. Definitely not good enough. In saying that anytime I have used their customer service I have been treated with the height of respect, responded to promptly and a complaint I had was treated swiftly and personally. I agree they shouldn't charge for bank drafts but would the post office not deal with that amount of cash?

They are not 100% perfect but I suspect no bank is. Personally though everything has worked out well for me and I'll be staying with them unless something major happens.

Advertisement