Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a neighours dog constantly shieting on our lawn!

• 17-05-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, this is just freaking making mad. Every day I come and find 2-3 shots on our lawn, where's our garden furniture. To make it worse it's like that dog has 24/7 diarrhea. I was outside with my own dog, then when we came back home 5 minutes later I sow neighours dog going across our yard back to his own. Just went to check my lawn and guess what, one more shiet!

I am a dog owner myself, but my dog is not going to their lawn to ****. I am so mad, I am just ready to buy a BB gun and wait for it to come back, so I can shoot at it. Any ideas how to resolve this? Yard is very big and there is no proper fence between 2 properties. Neighour is a Daughter of an owner of the house we renting. Going and complaining is the last thing I want to do, I want to hear of there are different ways of resolving this, if not I will complain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

But seriously, build a fence........and get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

darokane wrote: »
    But seriously, build a fence........and get over it

Not my property. Or do I build a thousands worth fence from my own money and keep it to landlord when I move out?

Not my property. Or do I build a thousands worth fence from my own money and keep it to landlord when I move out?

well thats up to you, there are plenty of alternatives to expensive fences
    have you talked to your neighbour?

darokane wrote: »
    well thats up to you, there are plenty of alternatives to expensive fences
    have you talked to your neighbour?

Not yet, like I said, I want to try and look in to alternatives, before I go complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

The beat option is talking to the neighbour, buying a bb gun and shooting at the dog will just get you in trouble. Talk to the neighbour or put up a fence, your call

• Advertisement

The beat option is talking to the neighbour, buying a bb gun and shooting at the dog will just get you in trouble. Talk to the neighbour or put up a fence, your call

Amd what do I say to him? He got 2 lose dogs in his yard. Those were newer inside. I really doubt he will put them on chain. Aren't there some repelents? I would just spam it on boarders so no dog would come near. its a medium size dog, dunoo wtf it is, some mixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Pour some bacon grease over them, they'll disappear swiftly. Just make sure your dog doesn't eat them.

Failing that (or perhaps more humanely) buy some repellant (think it's called OFF) from B&Q, the repellant (liquid or gel crystals) work really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Tell him his dog is ****ting all over your garden and you would appriciate if he would put a stop to it. At least give him a chance to fix the problem, if he does not do anything a few of his dogs sloppy ****es left on his doorstep might do the trick! Repelents dont work imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Dear lord, instead of complaining here or talking about BB guns, be an adult, knock on their dooor and say 'Excuse me, perhaps you don't realise, but your dog is defecating on/in my lawn/yard every day and as well as being unhygenic I'm tired of cleaning up after it. I know dogs get out sometimes, but I would appreciate it if you could make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks, have a good evening.'

Tell him his dog is ****ting all over your garden and you would appriciate if he would put a stop to it. At least give him a chance to fix the problem, if he does not do anything a few of his dogs sloppy ****es left on his doorstep might do the trick! Repelents dont work imo

Repelents don't work at all?

I am already have a shovel to scrape those ****s of loan. Instead of throwing it out in a field I could leave it on doorstep. I don't want the conflict just yet, as I am in good terms with landlady ( owner of house ) and neighours are daughter and her husband.

• Advertisement

Repelents dont work imo

Had a similar problem a while ago, neighbours dogs got into the habit of having their morning dump in our front garden. Used the gel repellant, dogs now crap elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Go over to their lawn and take a dump on it.

I am in good terms with landlady ( owner of house ) and neighours are daughter and her husband.

Ask your landlady to put up a fence or have a word with her daughter

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Had a similar problem a while ago, neighbours dogs got into the habit of having their morning dump in our front garden. Used the gel repellant, dogs now crap elsewhere.

Which brand you used? Where did you got it?

I got them in B&Q, the repellent was called 'Get Off', see through plastic container with green gel crystals in it.

Yi Harr wrote: »
    I got them in B&Q, the repellent was called 'Get Off', see through plastic container with green gel crystals in it.

sound! did you sprayed all your yard, or just the boarders with neighours yard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

complain to your landlady and let her talk to them. Or if she won't, ask her which corner of the garden she'd like you to pile them all up in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Instead of throwing it out in a field I could leave it on doorstep.
    I don't want the conflict just yet

yer gas!! :pac:

all it takes is a polite word to your neighbour and a trip to b&q or wherever for the repellant, no need for the passive agressive behaviour. the only people you harm with passive agressive behaviour is yerself, getting all worked up about it.

artyeva wrote: »
    yer gas!! :pac:

all it takes is a polite word to your neighbour and a trip to b&q or wherever for the repellant, no need for the passive agressive behaviour. the only people you harm with passive agressive behaviour is yerself, getting all worked up about it.

You are gas too!
    Did you even read all thread? I was looking for solution, which involve no contact with neighours. those things are more of a piss taking, then actually doing it. I got solution now - Repellent. I will get it tomorrow in "for home".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i'm a great laugh :pac:

and i did read the thread.

you're the one that was talking about bibi guns and depositing the offending excrement on your neighbour's door. if you have issues about talking to people you probably should have mentioned that in your op.

my advice to you was speak to the owner of the offending dog, and buy repellant. you know, acting rationally and neighbourly. not talking to them about their dog's fouling isn't going to make them aware of the problem. if you DID speak to them about it, they might take the necessary steps to keep their dog under better control. just an idea.

• Advertisement

sound! did you sprayed all your yard, or just the boarders with neighours yard?

Just treat wherever you don't want him to crap. It should say on the bottle how many square metres it covers.

If the area is too big treat the entrances and anywhere he has crapped before.

It's a habitual thing for them to go to the toilet in the same area and as your garden now smells of his poo he'll just keep going there. The repellent should mask his poo odour and also deter him from pooing there again. Some other neighbour will get to clean up after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I don't understand why you think mentioning it to your neighbour will cause conflict.

Politely explaining that their dog is consistantly pooing in your garden is the obvious first step, it's free and it makes them responsible for stopping it. It also shows you as being a rational, neighbourly tennant if you do need to bring your landlady into it. If that doesn't work, then by all means get the repellent.

But in my experience, they don't work well - i've seen piles of doggy doodoo sitting pretty in the middle of the crystals. Nice.

You have to reapply it approximately every 2 days with our weather, so it would get annoyingly expensive. At about 8 bucks a bottle, and using approximately a bottle a week... well, let's just say it's well worth your while knocking on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Some people don't like conflict ; or confronting.
    It's reasonable to ask if there is an effective anonymous solution rather than risk of a stand-off/ relations issues.
    There was always the magic/ Jiggery-Pokery of a 7UP type bottle 1/2 filled with water in their line of vision: as well as those Wiers Bud things you used to be able to buy in garden centers that you twisted onto fences/ laid on the grass... Dog off I think they were called. If the dog tends to go at a regular timeslot you could try chasing it ; it might get the message if it's anyway bright : and the neighbour might be home & see you shouting & get the message indirectly too!
    Otherwise, of course, here's always the call to the dog warden or later warden asking them to deal with he continuing situation... The thought of the fine might focus their thinking & make them consider investing in a fence; rather than you .
    Best of luck.

Some people don't like conflict ; or confronting.
    It's reasonable to ask if there is an effective anonymous solution rather than risk of a stand-off/ relations issues.

I see your point, but I just wouldn't see this as confrontational - a 30 second conversation is likely to be all that is needed. If the neighbours are intimidating/violent or the like, then the option is there to speak to the landlady (with whom the OP is on good terms)

Calling the dog warden anonymously, without having the courtesy to mention it to the neighbours first, or shooting the dog with a BB gun, or putting the dog poo back on the neighbours door step - these are things I would class as confrontational and far more likely to cause long term offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Allowing a dog to continuously s**** in someone elses garden is not only ignorant but extremely confrontational. It appears to be a constant problem.
    No doubt a visit from the litter warden will focus their attention .
    It's about time the louts of Ireland stopped being given the run of it.

You're making the assumption that the neighbours know - i'm making the assumption that they don't.

If the neighbours know, and are doing nothing, then yes - it's ignorant and it makes their dog a nuisance, and warrants further action. I personally wouldn't see it as confrontational though.

Now, assuming that the neighbours know the dog is s******g in the garden AND know that the OP is upset by it, then it may indeed be confrontational. But then we're getting into semantics, and that's for another thread :)

The fact remains there is unwanted **** on the lawn - the question is what is the best way to stop it from happening, and I still think that the best way is to speak to the neighbours about it (although that may be skewed by my optimism regarding a persons capacity to do the right thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

4x 2 meter wooden / plastic posts
    2 rolls of chicken wire
    1 Staple gun
    1 box of staples
    1 afternoon

Total cost >£40

and you can take it with you when you leave... if you want

have a good day

Vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Vince32 wrote: »
    4x 2 meter wooden / plastic posts
    2 rolls of chicken wire
    1 Staple gun
    1 box of staples
    1 afternoon

Total cost >£40

and you can take it with you when you leave... if you want

have a good day

Vince

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but you want OP to turn his front garden into some sort of chicken coop to stop some dog coming in?

Water gun or hose straight to the face should sort the dog out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

yeah your reading it wrong :? why is there always one...

Block the path the dog uses to come into your garden, and it can't come in, unless you want to stand vigil in your garden and wait for the dog to want to poop armed with a water pistol or garden hose... as fun as it sounds...I would have better things to do....

Bad dogs garden

@-

Your Garden, poop free,
    cheap fence for under 40 quid, that the landlord can remove at will with no real effort, if needed.
    Poop free garden... priceless

have a great day

Vince

• Advertisement
Advertisement