Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donna Summer - Died aged 63

• 17-05-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭

Saddened to hear about the death of Donna Summer today. May she RIP.

Some of her music was cheesy pop, but she was the ultimate Queen of disco, and she paved the way for many of our modern day pop 'icons' (I use that term a bit loosely).

Like her or dislike her music her death is a bit of a loss to pop!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/05/donna-summer-dies-after-cancer-battle-/1#.T7UlYegth8Y

We should all get up and do a dance in her honor.

TMZ reports that the Queen of Disco - Donna Summer - died this morning in Florida at age 63 following a battle with breast cancer.

Summer was a 5-time Grammy winner who shot to superstardom in the '70s with iconic hits including Last Dance, Hot Stuff and Bad Girls.

She is survived by her husband, three daughters, and four grandchildren.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Heard it on the radio.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Saddened to hear about the death of Donna Summer today. May she RIP.

Some of her music was cheesy pop, but she was the ultimate Queen of disco, and she paved the way for many of our moder day pop 'icons' (I use that term a bit loosely).

Like her or dislike her music her death is a bit of a loss to pop!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/05/donna-summer-dies-after-cancer-battle-/1#.T7UlYegth8Y

We should all get up and do a dance in her honor.

TMZ reports that the Queen of Disco - Donna Summer - died this morning in Florida at age 63 following a battle with breast cancer.

Summer was a 5-time Grammy winner who shot to superstardom in the '70s with iconic hits including Last Dance, Hot Stuff and Bad Girls.

She is survived by her husband, three daughters, and four grandchildren.

I will survive?? Nope.

RIP though, seemed a nice enough woman even if her songs are sung by fat drunk girls every time they see a karaoke machine, ruining many a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ah, she was only young. God love her.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

summerskin wrote: »
    I will survive?? Nope.

RIP though, seemed a nice enough woman even if her songs are sung by fat drunk girls every time they see a karaoke machine, ruining many a night out.

You not thinking of Gloria Gaynor there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I will survive?? Nope.

I am. Clearly I'm stupid. Oops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I am. Clearly I'm stupid. Oops.

With a name like summerskin i would of thought you were a fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That's a shame, 63 isn't that old at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah passing of a glitter ball era.

It should be noted that Donna Summers contribution to I Feel Love is incredibly small. Its the genius of Giorgio Moroder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can feel the frantic energy of a thousand punsters trying and failing to unearth anything decent from her oeuvre. You can't do much with disco titles.

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah passing of a glitter ball era.

It should be noted that Donna Summers contribution to I Feel Love is incredibly small. Its the genius of Giorgio Moroder

wha:confused: she sang it ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

RIP Donna.
    I thought she was great, from Last Dance, MacArthur Park to the cheesy This Time I know It's for Real.

Terribly sad and too young :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Probably the first electronic techno artist

Away ahead of her time. .

RIP.

fryup wrote: »
    wha:confused: she sang it ffs

Well any number of singers could have done the job, that's not to criticise her performance but in producer-led disco music the vocalist always comes a poor second.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

RIP.

Another funk/disco legend gone. Their music will always live on.

mike65 wrote: »
    Well any number of singers could have done the job, that's not to criticise her performance but in producer-led disco music the vocalist always comes a poor second.

a poor second? its the singer who gets all the attention...and to say she played an "incredibly small part" in that song is unfair i think

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

She works hard for the money de-de-de-de
    So hard for it, honey de-de-de-de
    She works hard for the money
    So you betta treat her riiiiiiiiight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

McArthur Park for the journey home RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

RIP. :(

• Advertisement

2 songs on my iPhone:
    Love's Unkind and She Worked Hard for the Money

a poor second? its the singer who gets all the attention...and to say she played an "incredibly small part" in that song is unfair i think

The singer is the front man for the producer who is the actual creative talent.
    Ask any real music people about I Feel Love and they'll talk about Moroder and his use of sequencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

A great shame, quite young...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ChubbyRunner

Oh that is so young...I have many a happy memory dancing to her music as a teenager. Rest in peace Donna x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

very sad to hear that, 63 is too young. RIP.

I have to dig out the old Endless Summer greatest hits CD when I get home and play it - what a great album of hit after hit!

"On the Radio" is my favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

rip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

RIP. 63 is so young.

I Feel Love is a classic, and her vocal on it is brilliant, whatever about this "singer being a poor second" rubbish. It's probably worth mentioning that Donna Summer had a hand in writing that song, so it's probably wrong to say that the producer was the only creative force behind it. Great song regardless.

To think of how this track has influenced a lot of contemporary pop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gMpxZtKg8

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Such a unique voice, an enormeous talent. Bad Girls is one of my all time favourite albums. Part of my youth died today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

In all fairness, like there was a difference ?

First she was afraid....now she's petrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Hmmmm.

For a gay icon this "christian" had distinctly unchristian views about a whole load of her followers.

Never heard a good thing said about her TBH.

And yes, I feel love was all Giorgio.

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Hmmmm.

For a gay icon this "christian" had distinctly unchristian views about a whole load of her followers.

WOW, the woman died what can only be described as a horrible death, as all cancer victims do, she changed the face of pop music, whether you like that change or not is purely subjective, your post is a bit harsh all things considered!

As a side note, who cares if I Feel Love was all Giorgio, she was still part of it, and it's an iconic song... sheeeeesssshhhhhh :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

ongarboy wrote: »
    very sad to hear that, 63 is too young. RIP.

I have to dig out the old Endless Summer greatest hits CD when I get home and play it - what a great album of hit after hit!

"On the Radio" is my favourite!

Since when?

63 isn't too young to die????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Marc Boland, these are people that I am sickened have passed away. People will care about Donna Summer being dead passionately for all of 1 day and promptly not give a crap just like I don't right now.

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Marc Boland, these are people that I am sickened have passed away. People will care about Donna Summer being dead passionately for all of 1 day and promptly not give a crap just like I don't right now.

To each his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

and she paved the way for many of our modern day pop 'icons'

Really? How so? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

stovelid wrote: »
    I can feel the frantic energy of a thousand punsters trying and failing to unearth anything decent from her oeuvre. You can't do much with disco titles.
    Spring Summer Fall,

thats all i've got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

efb wrote: »
    To each his own

No, you're missing my point. Peoples hearts will bleed for all of 5 minutes before they forget all about her death and get back on with their lives. The artists I named and plenty of others tbh made real impact on people so much so that over time they have only gained more fans and become even bigger than they were alive. They've become legends and people actually feel for the artists they love.
    Everyone just likes to get in how awful they think some random celebrity dying is and show some fake caring. It's silly.

And I apologize to the one actual Donna Summer fan that might read this and be genuinely upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Very sorry to hear this - a great talent.

Phil Oakey is on record as stating that the single I Feel Love had a huge influence on his career. Oakey, along with his mates Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh were at the vanguard of electro-pop in the UK - music that would dominate for the best part of a decade and have influences far beyond.

That single was released over the Summer of 1977, whilst the Human League would not enjoy chart success for a couple of years thereafter. That makes Donna Summer, as an artist, well ahead of her time. May She Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

RIP she paved the way for hooped earrings and the roide, pioneered prostitution in pop real copperface jacks material, good to see she got a mention on Irish news where for all his humanitarian work Yauch didn't. priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I thought she was a pretty good artist. Sad to see her go. RIP Donna! :(

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Really? How so? :confused:

Yes really. Her music influenced a huge amount of 80's pop, which in its turn incluenced 90's and so on! She was very famous back in the 70's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

One of the most important songs in the history of music.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1360

Book of Condolences forum, ftw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Hmmmm.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/17/donna-summer-dies-of-cancer?newsfeed=true

Elton John released a statement calling for broader recognition for the singer.
    "Her records sound as good today as they ever did," he said. "That she has never been inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is a total disgrace especially when I see the second-rate talent that has been inducted. She is a great friend to me and to the Elton John Aids Foundation and I will miss her greatly."

RIP Donna Summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

and she loved to feel. My surefire favourite has to be 'Working the midnight shift"

anyhow RIP, donna, roide in peace for you were a true working girl.. roll forward 40yr when were gettn all sentimental over rihanna's untimely death. Cos it just wasn't soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

WOW, the woman died what can only be described as a horrible death, as all cancer victims do, she changed the face of pop music, whether you like that change or not is purely subjective, your post is a bit harsh all things considered!

Never said I disliked her music. Or her for that matter - don't shoot the messenger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement