Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donna Summer - Died aged 63

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My Fave Donna Summer song:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    For a gay icon this "christian" had distinctly unchristian views about a whole load of her followers.

Never heard a good thing said about her TBH.

Donna Summer claimed she was mis-quoted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_Summer#Controversy

it was at the height of the aids hysteria and alot of people were saying silly things at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

fryup wrote: »
    Donna Summer claimed she was mis-quoted

Well, she would wouldn't she?

Multi-millionaire diva-like celebrity surrounded by powerful legal team in denial of potentially career threatening remarks shocker?

I don't mean to go on about it so I'll leave it at that. As I said, personally I didn't have anything much against her or her music.

As I said, personally I didn't have anything much against her or her music.

but you still like to get a dig in:cool: on the day she died

I'd prefer to call it wry scepticism and perspective but no matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd prefer to call it wry scepticism and perspective but no matter.

time and a place, but no matter.

Alright, fair enough. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

When I heard of her passing the song 'On the Radio' was instantly in my head. Humming along as if the song was just in the charts, the tune is just a classic, very infectious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Sorry I can't post a link but "This time I know it's for real", cheesy and all as it is, has to be my favourite. After 3 miscarraiges, this was the anthem to my 4th pregnancy which resulted in a healthy baby girl, right on time!!

She's in her 20's now and when we have a few glasses of wine of a weekend, we always end up playing that track in the wee small hours, she loves it!! I get a lump in my throat and well up when I hear it:o My daughter txt me today to tell me the news:( Donna Summer RIP

I think late '88/early '89 would have been thought of as her 'comeback', it certainly was by me.......she was in her late 30's then............Her early career got me through my teens.......a lot of memories tied up with Donna's catalogue. May she rest in peace.

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Sorry I can't post a link but "This time I know it's for real", cheesy and all as it is, has to be my favourite. After 3 miscarraiges, this was the anthem to my 4th pregnancy which resulted in a healthy baby girl, right on time!!
    There ya go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I doubt I'm the only one who unexpectedly finds some great musical gems in these "R.I.P" threads whenever a singer I'd otherwise have overlooked passes away.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

She's in her 20's now and when we have a few glasses of wine of a weekend, we always end up playing that track in the wee small hours, she loves it!! I get a lump in my throat and well up when I hear it:o My daughter txt me today to tell me the news:( Donna Summer RIP

I think late '88/early '89 would have been thought of as her 'comeback', it certainly was by me.......she was in her late 30's then............Her early career got me through my teens.......a lot of memories tied up with Donna's catalogue. May she rest in peace.

Oh, what a lovely post. I loved 'this time I know it's for real' too. I remember dancing around to it like a maniac in my early teens. Was a great tune.

RIP Donna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I love the 70's disco era of music and she was the queen of disco.

R.I.P Miss Summer :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Like a lot of artists from that era ,her hits throughout the 70s ie, Love to Love You baby ,I Feel Love ,I Remember Yesterday , Love's Unkind , etc, were a familiar theme and back drop to my own teen life and those songs bring back happy memories of that period .

Johro wrote: »

Thanks, so much....just had a weep:o

Part of the soundtrack to my life:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Terrible news and what an icon she became and hopefully future generations will will enjoy dancing to her music as much as we did.

Another piece of our past falls away but so many memories survive. We loved her then and love her now.

DONNA RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

RachaelVO wrote: »
    WOW, the woman died what can only be described as a horrible death, as all cancer victims do, she changed the face of pop music, whether you like that change or not is purely subjective, your post is a bit harsh all things considered!
    I like her music but the fact is that gay men in the USA particularly spotted talent and propelled her to the top of the charts and stardom.
    The as they died like flies she basically shat on their graves. However, Donna missed the gay dollar and soon recanted.
    People **** up and she will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yeah, she was a little before my time, I was too young to really appreciate it, but as another poster said a lot of her stuff is ageless, so I started youtubing links and found these classics ^ ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shryke wrote: »
    Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Marc Boland, these are people that I am sickened have passed away. People will care about Donna Summer being dead passionately for all of 1 day and promptly not give a crap just like I don't right now.
    Those guys died young because of their immoderation, stupidity and ultimately, personality weaknesses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Didn't recognise the name (well, probably came across it a few times) but know a few of the songs. I'm guessing I'm alone.

Those guys died young because of their immoderation, stupidity and ultimately, personality weaknesses
    Take it away Jimi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yeah 80's nostalgia FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

She was dynamite .......... that strong, throbbing funk sound. And good old Aunty banned her song.

RIP Donna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Shryke wrote: »
    Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Marc Boland, these are people that I am sickened have passed away. People will care about Donna Summer being dead passionately for all of 1 day and promptly not give a crap just like I don't right now.

I would have to say that is an extremely harsh judgement on Bolan (that's Bolan, Shryke), given that he died in a car crash in which he was a front seat passenger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't usually get into these muso discussions but anybody that thinks that Donna's voice (and absolutely wonderful as it is on that song and always) is the thing that made I Feel Love one of the most groundbreaking songs ever ever created ......well, OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't usually get into these muso discussions but anybody that thinks that Donna's voice (and absolutely wonderful as it is on that song and always) is the thing that made I Feel Love one of the most groundbreaking songs ever ever created ......well, OK.

I accept what you are saying, but if you are to take that line then essentially for the majority of the time it is record producers we should be lauding for their musical influence as opposed to the artists - you may well reply 'yes', but that in turn would change hugely our perception of the legacy of many many artists.

I would ask the question would I Feel Love have come to worldwide attention, and thus become so influential, if it had not been for the fact that it was Donna Summer (the famous star) singing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Love To Love You Baby is such a hot, sexy song! I know there were a few sex songs out at the time, like Let's Get It On and the Barry White stuff, but they're cheesy tbh IMO and wouldn't get me in the mood, Love To Love You? Ooh yeah! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw lovely. :)

Yeah that was her comeback all right - it was my first time hearing of her, I was 10/11 and LOVED Stock Aitken & Waterman! Before This Time... she brought out a track called Dinner With Gershwin, which was a fairly minor hit. Great song IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Dudess wrote: »
    Aw lovely. :)

Yeah that was her comeback all right - it was my first time hearing of her, I was 10/11 and LOVED Stock Aitken & Waterman! Before This Time... she brought out a track called Dinner With Gershwin, which was a fairly minor hit. Great song IMO.

Dinner with Gershwin IMO is one of her best songs, love it, was always surprised it was never a bigger hit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would ask the question would I Feel Love have come to worldwide attention, and thus become so influential, if it had not been for the fact that it was Donna Summer (the famous star) singing it?

Honestly, I think it would have. That's not to say her voice didn't suit it perfectly or that I'm not a fan of hers as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

summerskin wrote: »
    I am. Clearly I'm stupid. Oops.

clearly!

so which would you rather be, a fat girl dancing and singing to karaoke,
    or clearly stupid ;)

Dudess wrote: »
    Love To Love You Baby is such a hot, sexy song! I know there were a few sex songs out at the time, like Let's Get It On and the Barry White stuff, but they're cheesy tbh IMO and wouldn't get me in the mood, Love To Love You? Ooh yeah! :cool:

Yes indeed!! ;) Donna Summer greatest hits was one of the few CD's I took on Honeymoon with me a couple of years back........Like I said, soundtrack!!

PS Spent all morning doing laundry while playing all the tracks on this thread, even Jimi;) It has proved a tonic for this particular soul:)

fryup wrote: »

Forgot about this!! Great movie, think I'll watch it again today....food for the unemployed soul:cool:

That was a bollix of a recession too!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

RIP Donna

"You're dirty sweet and you're my girl"

I'm sure Marc Bolan would have said

Advertisement