Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iron man race

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Somebody might check this but i think stepehen bayliss was 8;17 or 8.18 last year in austria and today with a v similar performace 8.53.

So that makes mr crystals time normalized ( with a short austria course) somewhere around 8.45is serious stuff .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

2 Irish lads finished so far I will go down to the results sheet later and check where they finished.(keeping out of the sun for a while it got very hot here this afternoon)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

ok just been down to look at the results sheet

Brian McC 12 place overall,time 9.24.05

no result for mat molloy yet will keep a eye out.

2 or 3 irish lads on the last lap of the run as we speak,10 k per lap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

mp22 wrote: »
    ok just been down to look at the results sheet

Brian McC 12 place overall,time 9.24.05

no result for mat molloy yet will keep a eye out.

2 or 3 irish lads on the last lap of the run as we speak,10 k per lap!

To me it looked like Molloy passed McCrystal in the first lap (19~ km) of the run. He was moving on the cycle, surprised when I saw him into T2.

He looked to be going a lot better on the run and pretty sure he was 5/6 mins ahead on the last lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

peter kern wrote: »
    it entails less training than being really good at the olympic distance ;-0
    so many people seem not to realize that the good Oly guys train way harder and often more hours than 90% of Ironman.

Good oly guys train way harder than 90% of olympic athletes too
    Fazz wrote: »
    On paper you'd imagine it'd be a good battle between Molloy and McCrystal.

Molloy has the experience at this distance though, but McCrystal will be looking for a gap off the bike and can run as fast if not better, though running a marathon off a hard bike is new ground I'm sure.

Probably won't be much more than 5-10mins in it at the end ?
    Hard call over who to favour ahead though, especially as BMC's first Ironman.

afaik BMC has never been beaten by Molloy...dct 10 he beat him easily. 9.24 in lanza a savage result would have him going sub 9 in kona imo if he ever qualifies in the pro ranks. What a result for rory maguire. 9.42 and 7th in his age group. Was knocking at the door last year and seems closer to getting in this year.Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

12th place and that time on that course is very impressive considering he is giving up as much time to the other pros on the swim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well snacks has blown my "I'm too young for an ironman'' claim right out of the water. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 splurge

Two Irish athletes inside the top 25 in Lanza is pretty impressive ! Almost 30 mins on both the bike and the run between mc crystal and Molloy - now that's a statement !

splurge wrote: »
    Two Irish athletes inside the top 25 in Lanza is pretty impressive ! Almost 30 mins on both the bike and the run between mc crystal and Molloy - now that's a statement !

I think the statement is that both are currently the 2 best, oly half and full Ironman distance athlete package in Ireland.
    Everything else at present is personal preference and based on emotions.

For me pretty impressive today was Texas Ironman. where where we saw some 6 people ( 3 female 3 males) that can finish in the top 10 in hawaii ( and the male winner wisely choosing not to go to hawaii since his swim is still not up there )

For me its a pity that a race like Lanzarotte has the same price money as the 70.3 in Galway. and realistically with price money like that you cant get the big boys racing in Lanzarotte, despite the fact its one of the real Ironmans. There was 3 times as much prize money today in texas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I think the statement is that both are currently the 2 best, oly half and full Ironman distance athlete package in Ireland.
    Everything else at present is personal preference and based on emotions.

For me pretty impressive today was Texas Ironman. where where we saw some 6 people ( 3 female 3 males) that can finish in the top 10 in hawaii ( and the male winner wisely choosing not to go to hawaii since his swim is still not up there )

For me its a pity that a race like Lanzarotte has the same price money as the 70.3 in Galway. and realistically with price money like that you cant get the big boys racing in Lanzarotte, despite the fact its one of the real Ironmans. There was 3 times as much prize money today in texas.

Easy to confuse popular with best.
    Also the statement "in Ireland" is misleading.

How many times can you go to Kona without actually qualifying? :)
    (roll downs don't count)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

"How many times can you go to Kona without actually qualifying?
    (roll downs don't count)"

I for one would gladly take a roll down!!

tunney wrote: »
    Easy to confuse popular with best.
    Also the statement "in Ireland" is misleading.

How many times can you go to Kona without actually qualifying? :)
    (roll downs don't count)

so is gavin N who lives in scotlandis not Irish then ??? emma davis has an english accent should she not have started for Ireland in Beijing ? I guess you have to go with passport and thats the rule for everybody you have an passport of that country havent raced 2 year for another federation thats your country in triathlon. Simon lessing is considered winning titles for england and born in South africa. jan Frodeno grew up in south africa the list is endless in triathlon
    matty reed, greg bennett , paula newbe fraser, michele dilon, simon whitefield, andrew johns , paul amy , leanda cave, etc etc

dave show me a Irish guy that have better normalized, results over oly, half and ironman than those two ..... The irish guys who could, have not done an Ironman. Our personal favorite has never done well over the sprint or Oly distance. and has not matched matts hawaii result in 2 attempts.

Sometimes its good to take a step back and dodnt let emotions get into your way . but those two can go to any race in ireland and would be given a chance to win from sprint to full Ironman.
    right now there is not a single other person who has the proven result in all 4 distances.( trevor not a Ironman result, liam not the short result
    and thats really the only two that are in contention apart from those two)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

so is gavin N who lives in scotlandis not Irish then ??? emma davis has an english accent should she not have started for Ireland in Beijing ? I guess you have to go with passport and thats the rule for everybody you have an passport of that country havent raced 2 year for another federation thats your country in triathlon. Simon lessing is considered winning titles for england and born in South africa. jan Frodeno grew up in south africa the list is endless in triathlon
    matty reed, greg bennett , paula newbe fraser, michele dilon, simon whitefield, andrew johns , paul amy , leanda cave, etc etc

dave show me a Irish guy that have better normalized, results over oly, half and ironman than those two ..... The irish guys who could, have not done an Ironman. Our personal favorite has never done well over the sprint or Oly distance. and has not matched matts hawaii result in 2 attempts.

Sometimes its good to take a step back and dodnt let emotions get into your way . but those two can go to any race in ireland and would be given a chance to win from sprint to full Ironman.
    right now there is not a single other person who has the proven result in all 4 distances.( trevor not a Ironman result, liam not the short result
    and thats really the only two that are in contention apart from those two)

Regarding performances. I didn't disagree with you.

I said people can confuse popular with best.

Advertisement