Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to wear black armbands when they play Italy

• 17-05-2012 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0517/irish-soccer-team-to-honour-loughinisland-victims.html
    On 18 June 1994, patrons of a small bar at Loughinisland in Co Down were watching Ireland play Italy in the World Cup loyalist gunmen from the UVF opened fire, killing six men.

Ireland are due to play Italy at the European Championships next month - 18 years to the day since the murders.

Eerily this event happened 18 years ago to the day Ireland play Italy again in a major soccer tournament.

Insane that ordinary people from the North on both sides of the troubles couldn't sit down for 90 minutes to watch a major soccer game without something awful happening. 18 years is not a long time ago in history but i think it shows how far the island has come since then to live in relative peace.

A nice touch by UEFA that allow this small but rare gesture to happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Proper order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Is that the first time teams have been allowed wear black armbands in a finals game? I can't remember it happening before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Is that the first time teams have been allowed wear black armbands in a finals game? I can't remember it happening before.

It happened at the last World Cup and it involved Italy again. Roberto Rosato died on the day that they were playing their final group game against New Zealand and they wore them in his memory.

He played in the 1970 final versus Brazil and managed to get Pele's jersey afterwards. Probably the most famous jersey in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Proper order. I remember after the match my nieghbour next door desperately trying to get in contact with father from Loughinsland who normally drank at the bar, by chance he had decided to watch the match with a neighbour. Dreadful night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

A great gesture by the FAI... Well impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Came across this subject on a rangers forum (followfollow) and 90% of the posts are laughing at the disaster and deriding their luck that only 6 were dead and not 36. Glad to see some proper sympathy for what was a terrible naked sectarian attack and thank god as the OP said that those dark days seem to be behind us for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Heard this on the radio earlier and alot of people thought is was a bad idea to be dragging up the past like this and also throwing out the politics has no place in sport arguement.
    I think it shows a touch of class by the FAI for once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Old Gill wrote: »
    Came across this subject on a rangers forum (followfollow) and 90% of the posts are laughing at the disaster and deriding their luck that only 6 were dead and not 36. Glad to see some proper sympathy for what was a terrible naked sectarian attack and thank god as the OP said that those dark days seem to be behind us for good.

I think we will need to see a source after saying something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Felexicon wrote: »
    Heard this on the radio earlier and alot of people thought is was a bad idea to be dragging up the past like this and also throwing out the politics has no place in sport arguement.

Them same people would have no issue if it was another country and would think it was an appropriate gesture.

No harm in Ireland donning black armbands to remember, well done the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

thats a novely gesture in rememberance of those died that night. the bitterness is still very much there as shown in the threats made to james mcclean on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A lot of people here did not think it was a good idea for England to wear a poppy in remembrance of their war dead for a game last November

Something about sport and politics do not mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Great and noble gesture by both the FAI and UEFA

The great minds that are the RTE pundits disagree however:

From: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pundits-attack-fais-move-to-commemorate-massacre-3111510.html
    EAMON Dunphy and John Giles yesterday criticised the decision to have the Ireland team wear black armbands during the match against Italy at Euro 2012 on June 18.

The FAI confirmed yesterday that Ireland will make the symbolic gesture to commemorate the victims of a loyalist massacre in a Co Down village on the 18th anniversary of the atrocity.

The armbands will be worn in memory of the victims of the Loughinisland shooting on June 18, in 1994.

Six Catholic men were killed by UVF gunmen as Ireland played Italy at the World Cup in the US.

The families contacted the FAI about marking the anniversary and they in turn requested permission from the tournament's governing authority UEFA for the commemoration.

UEFA gave the go-ahead, but both of RTE's leading football pundits said yesterday that such overtly political issues should not have a place in football.

Mr Dunphy said it was "getting into dangerous territory".

"My own view would be no, I don't think it is particularly appropriate," he told the Irish Independent.

"I think reopening the wounds of a fresh conflict is probably not the wisest thing to do.

"I would say don't go there, you're into dangerous territory. And for footballers and sports people in general, they wouldn't always have the political antennae, should we say."

He added that there were other nations involved in the tournament -- including Croatia and Russia -- with "dark histories".

"We would want to be very careful about dragging politics into sport," he said.

Mr Dunphy pointed out that he wore an armband himself to commemorate Bloody Sunday in Derry while playing for London club Millwall in 1972.

"I wore a black armband the Saturday after Bloody Sunday playing for Millwall, which was a gesture which all the other Irish players refused to join me in," he said.

"It was a personal thing, to show English people who knew nothing about why they were even in Ireland, that this had happened. But I would be very careful about that kind of stuff."

'Sentiments'

Speaking during RTE's launch of the Euro 2012 coverage in Dublin yesterday, Mr Giles also expressed concern about the move.

"I would prefer to see it kept out of it," Mr Giles said in relation to the politicisation of tournaments.

"I can understand some of the sentiments (surrounding) any atrocity.

"I don't know whose decision it was but I wouldn't be in favour of it." However, FAI chief executive John Delaney said yesterday that the black armbands were an opportunity to "remember all those who lost their lives in the Troubles".

Niall Murphy, the solicitor acting on behalf of the victims' families, thanked the FAI and UEFA for the decision.

"The families are touched that this tragic event can be commemorated on such a poignant day," he said.

Nobody has ever been convicted of the massacre in which two men walked into the rural pub and opened fire.

Adrian Rogan (34); Malcolm Jenkinson (53); Barney Greene (87); Daniel McCreanor (59); Patrick O'Hare (35); and Eamon Byrne (39) were all killed.

In 1997, the Irish team controversially wore black armbands before a World Cup qualifier away in Iceland to mark the passing of Diana, Princess of Wales, a week earlier.

Then-manager Mick McCarthy was prominent in the decision, stating that: "Princess Diana wasn't just a British celebrity -- she belonged to the world."

A lot of people here did not think it was a good idea for England to wear a poppy in remembrance of their war dead for a game last November

Jesus I forgot all about this. Don't really think it represents the same thing though.

Jesus I forgot all about this. Don't really think it represents the same thing though.

Yes there are differences but they both have their basis in politics, and if I recall the argument against the poppy was that it was introducing a political aspect to the event.

Remembrance of people who died in the NI conflict, regardless of what the circumstances, has a political aspect to it.

What would be the reaction here if NI decided to wear black armbands to remember the 8 innocent people killed in the Shankill fish shop bombing ?

Yes there are differences but they both have their basis in politics, and if I recall the argument against the poppy was that it was introducing a political aspect to the event.

Remembrance of people who died in the NI conflict, regardless of what the circumstances, has a political aspect to it.

What would be the reaction here if NI decided to wear black armbands to remember the 8 innocent people killed in the Shankill fish shop bombing ?
    Oh sorry I may have given you the impression that I think politics and sport should be kept seperate. I don't

Oh sorry I may have given you the impression that I think politics and sport should be kept seperate. I don't

Yes, keeping sport and politics sperate is a utopian fantasy if you ask me, the real world we live in means that they are very closely entwined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This is a gesture of dignity to remember innocent people who were murdered whilst watching an Ireland game 18 years ago. If you think that is the same as England wearing a red poppy for British security forces who died or are injured in the course of their conflicts then more fool you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The problem with the poppy thing was its integration into the shirt. The armband is a separate item.

This is a gesture of dignity of to remember innocent people who were murdered whilst watching a Ireland game. If you think that is the same as England wearing a red poppy for British security forces who died or are injured in the course of their conflicts then more fool you

Please read all my posts

I said it was different

But both have a basis in politics and that is what makes it similar to England wearing poppy.

And if I recall people on this board were very much against politics, in the form of the poppy, being introduced into the game at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I remember that night very well. That was in the middle of some bad times, when all the doors in bars in Armagh were closed and only opened on a knock and a check of the CCTV images. I still recall how the celebrations after the match became very muted when the awful news filtered through.

I know no-one has said it here, but I think that it is important to emphasise that those killed in Loughinisland were absolutely non political. That said, I understand too why the likes of Giles and Dunphy are voicing their concerns.

Personally though, I think it is a marvellous gesture - the Irish team remembering Irish supporters who lost their lives during one of the great Irish triumphs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Old Gill wrote: »
    s a terrible naked sectarian attack and thank god

Don't you think it's a little odd to thank a 'God' for something that was caused by someone's belief in it?

Don't you think it's a little odd to thank a 'God' for something that was caused by someone's belief in it?
    Not a religous discussion! Jog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Indeed it's not. However, people mistakenly misuse religious labels in place of political ones in this country and that causes confusion. No one killed another person in the north over transubstantiation or other clerical disagreements. It's a shame people are too quick to say "Catholic" instead of "Nationalist" or "Protestant" instead of "Royalist". Though that's an argument for another forum and one well worth taking place at some time.

On the topic it's not really political but rather remembering the deaths of innocent Irish fans and apart from the differences in the cause of those deaths is not not too dissimilar to how liverpool pay remembrance to Hillsborough fans in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

True, but its not a politics forum either, and we are discussing what happened during the troubles, as the irish soccer team is wearing an armband to remember some people who have died. And as we all know religion has a lot to do with partition of the island and the troubles, "Home rule, is Rome rule" etc...

I would rather they didnt wear it. All the tragedies that happened in the past, means that Ireland could wear black armbands at every match they play, same with nearly every team in this tournament. Every country has a history, and some of it was horrible. But I dont think it involves football.

inmyday wrote: »
    True, but its not a politics forum either, and we are discussing what happened during the troubles, as the irish soccer team is wearing an armband to remember some people who have died. And as we all know religion has a lot to do with partition of the island and the troubles, "Home rule, is Rome rule" etc...

I would rather they didnt wear it. All the tragedies that happened in the past, means that Ireland could wear black armbands at every match they play, same with nearly every team in this tournament. Every country has a history, and some of it was horrible. But I dont think it involves football.
    But the point is that they are playing the same team on the same date. Its not like they just plucked this idea out of thin air

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

But the point is that they are playing the same team on the same date. Its not like they just plucked this idea out of thin air

True true. But I dont think the fai and the rep irish team should be involved in this. Its politics not soccer.

inmyday wrote: »
    True true. But I dont think the fai and the rep irish team should be involved in this. Its politics not soccer.
    You're right the shooting dead of football fans while watching a game of football has nothing to do with football

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

He's given a source, the Rangers forum followfollow. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble for you to log onto said forum and find out for yourself if you're so disbelieving there Dick.

Back on topic, I think it is a suitable tribute to an utterly tragic event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Fair play to the FAI. I'm quick to criticise them so I'll give credit where credit is due. It'll be a poignant tribute to the horrific juxtaposition of innocent Irish fans being massacred while watching one of Ireland's most famous sporting achievements. Truly evil atrocity.

Anyone trying to make a comparison between this and the English poppy issue is either a troll or a complete and utter fool.

• Advertisement

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Anyone trying to make a comparison between this and the English poppy issue is either a troll or a complete and utter fool.

I am neither thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

from followfollow.com

**Thought this sort of thing was not allowed?**

**For ****s sake. Black armbands because they were shot watching a match between
    the two teams, what a joke!**

**Ah well,
    I suppose getting took out by the UVF whilst watching a football match involving a
    foreign team on the telly is a worthy reason for a black armband .
    Still doesn't bring them back though does it ..**

**Anybody got a contact email for FIFA, feel like sending a complaint to them,
    warning them they are being used as pawns in a political wit*****, from a country
    nothing to do with the murders.**

**Look at us, we are victims. Thats all this is about, scum is as scum does.**

**Only 6????????? Damn and Damn again..........**

**Houghton hit the net, the uvf hit the bar.**

**If they get beat 6-0 will that go down as ironic?**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Fair play to the FAI and UEFA for making this gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think it's a good gesture towards the families. I think the match itself is on the actual anniversary, if not it's close to it. But this is only happening because we are playing Italy and it brings back painful memories to the families.

This isn't politics. It's not marking why it happened. It's just marking that it happened!!

bobmalooka wrote: »
    from followfollow.com

**For ****s sake. Black armbands because they were shot watching a match between

**Ah well,
    I suppose getting took out by the UVF whilst watching a football match involving a

warning them they are being used as pawns in a political wit*****, from a country

This kind of sh!t makes you despair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

bobmalooka wrote: »
    from followfollow.com

**Ah well,

The cowardly keyboard warriors behind those statements are the absolute scum of society. You have read the posts several times just to grasp the sheer venom of what they said. How could you say things like that about the murder of 6 innocent people who were watching a match and having a pint? I cant get over how people can be so poisonous. Society is fúcked when you see mindsets like that

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think it's a good gesture towards the families. I think the match itself is on the actual anniversary, if not it's close to it. But this is only happening because we are playing Italy and it brings back painful memories to the families.

This isn't politics. It's not marking why it happened. It's just marking that it happened!!

But by marking an event that had it's roots in a political situation, the status of NI, gives a political aspect to the wearing of the armbands.
    It would not be politics if for example you were marking the crash of an Italian aircraft on Irish soli

But by marking an event that had it's roots in a political situation, the status of NI, gives a political aspect to the wearing of the armbands.
    It would not be politics if for example you were marking the crash of an Italian aircraft on Irish soli

Yeah, i completely understand what you're saying. But this one is for the families. It's marking the deaths of Republic of Ireland supporters who died whilst watching the same fixture 18 years ago.

Advertisement