Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux Windows-Weird Problem

• 17-05-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭

3GvkJ.jpg

Hi, I have these 2 Velux windows in the room I rent, they're installed perfectly, no drafts or anything. The problem I have is that the one on the left weighs a ton, as in you need 2 hands to lift it and its hard to hold it up for any amount of time, but the identical one on the right is light as a feather, the friction in the hinges is enough to hold it open on a hot day.

I want to make the heavy one that way aswell if possible, I dont see any lead weights or anything attached to it, any clues?

Another thing, theres this sticker that tells you to push in a plastic tab, 2 per window opposite each other on either side up the top, any clue what they do? A way to leave the window open by itself so I can look out without worrying about it dropping on my head would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry about the giant images, no clue whats happening there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

does it stay open once you open it?? if not then theres a fault with the rails in it....

No it will drop and its so heavy Id be afraid it would break the glass or the frame, I don't understand why 2 identical windows could be light as a feather on one side and literally feeling like its made from lead on the other.

there designed to feel light ,but if they`re not installed properly they wont work,you would need to take it out and see if all the guide rails are ok...get a pro to do it

Alright thanks, was just wondering if I could do anything myself with it.

• Advertisement

well you could take it out yourself and refit it,if you had the manual for it,check online and see if you can find it,there easy enough to take out...

Nah feck it cant be bothered :D

Era just get an ol bit of metal bar so and prop it open ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

The plastic tags you mention lock into those holes you see at the bottom of the pics. So that you can clean your windows without falling off the roof.
    The other problem sounds like the roof is puttin strain on the window it may be fitted too tightly. I'd ask Velux to get their rep to look at it.

if its only a room you rent then you should get onto the landlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If its a MO8 fire escape velux then the springs need to be adjusted, otherwise the window will feel very heavy to open. I adjusted mine a few years ago by pushing a piece of metal with a screw drive - it was on the side of the velux. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I assume these windows are top hung and probably one of the gas struts has leaked rendering it useless. I don't know a supplier, maybe you can get a number or code off the strut and search for it that way. All you need is a strut with the same fittings and same load bearing capacity.

Didnt realise they were that complicated, havent a hope of getting money out of the landlord anyway I know that, I found a nice bit of metal in a skip outside Lidl that does the job nicely yesterday so Ill have to make do with that, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

It appears that I may have mislead you. There are struts but they are spring loaded as per RKQ's suggestion. Page 21 of this manual shows the adjustment. Further adjustment page 23 .

Advertisement