Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoner retires from MotoGP.

• 17-05-2012 7:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this comming??:eek:

And he still only 26.

He had the "mysterious" illness when he was at Ducati 2 years ago,and he missed several races.

He hasnt been "mentally" the same person since that.
    Hes had physical health problems the last few races,tiredness and arm pump issues.
    And now he announces his retirement.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99658

Wonder if theres a deep down medical condition thats forcing him to retire?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

He has always said he was never intending to race into his 30s, although I didn't expect it to be so soon.

Maybe he wants to end on a high note?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

He has always said he was never intending to race into his 30s, although I didn't expect it to be so soon.

Maybe he wants to end on a high note?

Maybe recently becomming a dad too,has opened his mind and made him think..

And also the tragic loss of Simmo last year too??

We might never know the real reasons for Stoner retiring so suddenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

paddy147 wrote: »
    Wonder if theres a deep down medical condition thats forcing him to retire?

Yeah, it's called pussywhippage :D

Scrap the cap!

And also the tragic loss of Simmo last year too??

No. Stoner's always been a cold fish and tbh the Sic tragedy would have had far more an effect on Stoner's wife/family than on himself

Rossi was Marco's best mate, and was involved in the collision (although there was nothing he could have done) and he's racing on even though he's having a hard time on the Ducati.

Meanwhile guy on fastest bike on the grid says he wants to give up because he's not enjoying it anymore :rolleyes: why not give up the seat now FFS and open up a satellite Honda ride to some young rider who's hungry?

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

What can I say- good riddance to the whingebag!!

6798112403_39dec57f31_b.jpg

• Advertisement

I wonder who will get Stoners bike for next year then?

Could the likes of Cal Crutchlow possibly move from Tech 3 Yamaha to Repsol Honda??

That would surely be a dream bike and team for him??

Or maybe Honda should have kept Dovi and put him on a HRC bike like Simmos old bike??
    Then Dovi could have taken Stoners place in the factory team for next year??

What can I say- good riddance to the whingebag!!

6798112403_39dec57f31_b.jpg

Love it.:D

Can't help but think announcing it now is a huge mistake. Riders are always looking for a psychological edge. Announcing your heart isn't in it a few races into the season... wtf?
    NEVER announce your retirement until you either have the title wrapped up, or someone else does!!!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

FFS this is his 11th year of racing, he doesnt have to prove anything anymore. Plus he is right MotoGP is pretty boring racing with a tiny grid and effectively 2 classes running in the same race.
    The move to more and more electronic rider aids have killed it as a spectacle, its not as much about the rider as who has the best electronics package.
    He's right to quit now IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ninja900 wrote: »
    Can't help but think announcing it now is a huge mistake. Riders are always looking for a psychological edge. Announcing your heart isn't in it a few races into the season... wtf?
    NEVER announce your retirement until you either have the title wrapped up, or someone else does!!!
    Hes a good enough rider for that not to matter. Plus everyone knows he'll be looking to finish as world champion.

Not much point watching MotoGp now until after Lorenzo retires. Hes going to win them all.

• Advertisement

I thought he was going to follow in his fellow aussie's footsteps, Mick Doohan. I thought he'd have a go at breaking some records, obviously just didn't have it in him.

I thought he was going to follow in his fellow aussie's footsteps, Mick Doohan. I thought he'd have a go at breaking some records, obviously just didn't have it in him.

Mick Doohan never complained,even when in absolute agony,riding the Repsol Honda 500cc 2 stroke with a double broken leg and also with a smashed ankle.

Doohan was a warrior who just got on with it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

But think back to that era of GP 500cc 2 strokes.
    Schwantz, Lawson, Doohan, Gardner, Rainey, that was close racing with a lot to compete for, these days its processional with no real challengers apart from Lorenzo and Pedrosa, wheres the fun in that?
    I remember him saying last year that he would quit if they introduced CRT bikes and he is just sticking to his word.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    But think back to that era of GP 500cc 2 strokes.
    Schwantz, Lawson, Doohan, Gardner, Rainey, that was close racing with a lot to compete for, these days its processional with no real challengers apart from Lorenzo and Pedrosa, wheres the fun in that?
    I remember him saying last year that he would quit if they introduced CRT bikes and he is just sticking to his word.

He denied he was retiring at the last race though.

It was put to him by Eurosport and BBC about his retirement,and he quashed all rumors of retirement.He basicly laughed it all off as a joke and people talking rubbish.

But now suddenly he issues a press release to state that he is retiring and hes complaining about absolutely everything (Honda wont like that one bit).

Stange behavour from Stoner.:confused:

He denied he was retiring at the last race though.

It was put to him by Eurosport and BBC about his retirement,and he quashed all rumors of retirement.He basicly laughed it all off as a joke and people talking rubbish.

But now suddenly he issues a press release to state that he is retiring and hes complaining about absolutely everything (Honda wont like that one bit).

Stange behavour from Stoner.:confused:

That's stoner for you.

In fairness though just because Eurosport and BBC tried to force an answer out of him doesn't mean he had to tell them. Maybe he wanted the privilege of making a proper announcement? Maybe he hadn't made up his mind 100% at that stage?

Well well well,Stoner is going to go and race V8 Supercars....possibly?

Hes allready driven and tested the V8.;)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-racing/retiring-motogp-champion-casey-stoner-linked-with-move-to-v8-supercars/story-e6frfgb6-1226359813993

|If Stoner is bored and wants excitment,then maybe he will find in in V8 Supercars.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Not much point watching MotoGp now until after Lorenzo retires. Hes going to win them all.

Not a chance. Lorenzo's good, but Pedrosa is right there with him, and I reckon Crutchlow will pull a few more suprises out of the bag.

Everybody will up their game when Stoner leaves, because then it's really anybodys game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Pipz wrote: »
    Not a chance. Lorenzo's good, but Pedrosa is right there with him, and I reckon Crutchlow will pull a few more suprises out of the bag.

Everybody will up their game when Stoner leaves, because then it's really anybodys game.

I agree. Pedrosa has been inconsistant but he's quick, Crutchlow isn't that far behind and I can see him just getting quicker and better, and Bradl is doing well on the LCR Honda. Imagine he got Stoner's ride next year? I reckon with the rookies and the Moto2 lads moving up, there's still plenty of racing left in MotoGP.

Bradl on a factory Honda would be something...
    Can't see Pedrosa winning a championship unfortunately, he's fast but just not consistent enough over a season and too prone to injury.
    Also I reckon Tech3 will dump Bradley Smith!

Scrap the cap!

Rossi going to Honda next year?

Rumor mill in overdrive this morning.

Rossi is staying on in MotoGp for at least another 2 year,but he wont commit to what team or bike yet.

Rossi also seen chatting to Hondas main man briefly in paddock later after the race.

Hmmmm,I wonder??:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement