Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Zero

Options
  • 17-05-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

So finally got out yesterday to zero the rifle properly after it getting threaded and with the new scope. So zeroed it at 100 yards bang on no bother doing one inch holes was happy. Decided to go into an other field shot a rabbit was happy good and accurate. So cam back then took of the can cleaned the bit of oil of it then i went out today with a friend put on the can set off, spotted a rabbit about 160 yards away new were to aim said i'd take it so put the crosshairs on its head and missed thought i pulled to early flinched or something then decided to test it on a target so went back to 100 yards and was missing the 1inch bull by about 2 inches to the left. Will this mean everytime i take off the can i'll have to go out and check the zero to see how much it is off as i don't have this problem with my .17hmr after i take the can on and off is always bang on. Any advice appreciated :)

Erk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Hi Erk, one of the scope mounts could be the problem as i had the same experience not so long ago. A dealer started the screw on the wrong thread and it didn't allow the mount to close properly giving some the sight some hidden play causing the very same thing to happen. This happened me when I gave the dealer my rifle to get it threaded for a mod and this issue happened when he was putting rifle back together. The screw seemed tight but wasn't bonding the mount tight enough together. This may be your problem I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

sounds / seems like the bullet is tipping a baffle if its gone horizontal becase its not threaded properly.

take it if off , pop out the bolt and line it up with an object then screw it back on and see what it looks like - any diff?.

personally never had any moddy move the POI by more than 1/2" down (Vertical) or 1/4" (Horizontal) @ 100

(Give your mod a spray with light gun oil & a rub with a nylon brush on one of those 3 piece rods to ensure its clean)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

or if your mod loosened unnoticed this will happen or if your barrel is too hot from consistent shooting she be all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

and you always want to ensure you tighten the mod consistently - little daub of tip ex over the bore when its nice and hand tight to make sure you return it to roughly the same place each time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Thanks for the replies. Think i might give the mod a clean good few rounds gone thorugh her so will try that. Mounts are good and tight that i can see so far :) Thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement