Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Network Sites for Gamers

Options
  • 17-05-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I've been looking at some gamer social networking sites (oh, by the way, if this is a topic already discussed, apologies. I did a search and found no threads) and think it might be a bit of fun to sign up. Do any of you use any, or know what the dillio is with the likes of Raptr or Ugame? I've heard some stories about Ugame data mining. But I suppose that's probably the case with most social networks.

So yeah, which do you think is the best social network for gamers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What is the purpose? Meet new friends? Otherwise I don't really see the purpose, forums suit fine for game discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Ah, just to see who's online, have IM, compare stats, maybe set up small tournaments amongst mates, etc. Essentially a facebook-style setup but for the gaming community. I find it difficult enough to talk games on the likes of facebook as there tends to be so many other things going on simultaneously. It gets quite convoluted.

Yes, a forum acts as a substitute, but I was wondering if there was anything out there a bit more trim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You could just set up a group on facebook? But sure this forum is as close as you'll get to a social network for gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Before going through the options, what systems do ye use - PC/Steam, Xbox360, PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

people seem to like xfire for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Trueachievements.com is a must for xbox. Met many like minded individuals there who I "boost" with or simply chat with, and is actually the most like facebook I've seen at least. I'll regularly post a game related status message and get comments from game world "friends" and post comments on achievements they get and them me, really don't know if there is anything similar for PS3 or Steam but the guys behind that site should copy paste the model to those platforms if they haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I think what you are looking for is called pwned.com
    I used to go on it but not too much.
    you can make new friends, set up matches basically everything you are looking for is there.

Cheers lads/ladies, I'll have a gander at those sites this evening. I play on Xbox myself, so that TrueAchievements site looks like t'would be right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

playfire.com is what you are looking for. Add me if you join. My id is jmx009
    Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

STEAM has community pages and allows for groups to be setup.
    You can also see who is online, message, join games and check all their games/stats etc/

I used to use xfire, but it's a load of pants in recent years.

Never heard of any of the above sites, but will check them out, doubt I'll signup though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

calex71 wrote: »
    Trueachievements.com is a must for xbox. Met many like minded individuals there who I "boost" with or simply chat with, and is actually the most like facebook I've seen at least. I'll regularly post a game related status message and get comments from game world "friends" and post comments on achievements they get and them me, really don't know if there is anything similar for PS3 or Steam but the guys behind that site should copy paste the model to those platforms if they haven't already.

There was a plan at one stage for truetrophies, but there is some problem with retrieving your trophies and tying it to your truetrophies, so they gave up on it. That's how I remember it anyway, might also have been an issue with Sony telling them to feck off as they didn't like being scraped so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

mcgovern wrote: »
    There was a plan at one stage for truetrophies, but there is some problem with retrieving your trophies and tying it to your truetrophies, so they gave up on it. That's how I remember it anyway, might also have been an issue with Sony telling them to feck off as they didn't like being scraped so often.

Quiet likely the case I'd say, I remember when xbox.com was cripplingly slow because of other sites scraping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Personally, I would recommend setting up a private group on facebook to organise games and discuss news among friends, but of course as it is basic, there can be better options to suit your needs.
    I would highly recommend signing up on raptr. I do not use the site itself, but it has a desktop client that allows you to sign in to xbox live to see when your friends come on and offline.

Right, having perused some of these sites...they ain't worth poop. This forum is a way better option. Plus the company's better looking.

Advertisement