Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cyclists on the dundalk to castle'bham road

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

indiewindy wrote: »
    They were pro's and roads were closed for them, these are just cycling for leisure. From reading the thread, we are lucky there have been no accidents yet

well this is the whole point of this thread respect for every road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Surely cycle racing should be postponed in dark, wet and windy conditions. It is just not safe and putting lives at risk.

EH no is the answer to that one sorry.
    they wont cancel the Tour De France because it's raining.
    yeah i know this is not the Tour but our great heroes Sean kelly and Steven Roche started racing on irish roads in all kinds of weather.:cool:

Do the eejits out on the roads of co.Louth on a wet Thursday evening really believe its the equivalent of the Tour De France!!!!

Rofl here this post shows how delusional cyclists really are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Do the eejits out on the roads of co.Louth on a wet Thursday evening really believe its the equivalent of the Tour De France!!!!
    Rofl here this post shows how delusional cyclists really are!

Eh..no.
    Although they are racing, I'm pretty sure they realise its not the equivalent of the Tour de France.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Surely cycle racing should be postponed in dark, wet and windy conditions. It is just not safe and putting lives at risk.

I commuted most of last winter through most of the bad weather no problems. I used two sets of lights, front and rear so I was visible (so thats not an excuse ;))

However I am a little bit more susceptible to side winds, I'll need a little extra room in that weather but it's in no way dangerous. However, I in no way found it life threatening.

Should we ban motorcyclists in windy weather too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

BX 19 wrote: »
    I commuted most of last winter through most of the bad weather no problems. I used two sets of lights, front and rear so I was visible (so thats not an excuse ;))

However I am a little bit more susceptible to side winds, I'll need a little extra room in that weather but it's in no way dangerous. However, I in no way found it life threatening.

And trucks, caravans, MPV's, vans, buses.

Probably best to close the road after dark too, could hit a cow swaying across the road with no lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why would you do that and how is a motorcycle the same as a push bike?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The only people putting any lives at risk would have been any drivers passing too closely. TBH, I was surprised at how quiet the road was last night given the comments in this thread - I guess the football affected it, but very few vehicles passed me on the road (dunno, maybe some of them couldn't keep up with me;)). All the vehicles I did encounter gave me plenty of room and the drivers were perfectly courteous.

You guys are essentially suggesting bikes should be banned from the road in such conditions, but as I've already alluded to, I've cycled without any problems in far worse conditions than last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

there was a white van travelling behind a cyclist with its hazards on , imo the driving of this van was way more dangerous than the cyclists i encountered last night... also should these bikes not hae a light on them so in driving rain motorists can see them

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

furiousox wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they realise its not the equivalent of the Tour de France.
    Ah c'mon furiousox - it's not that far off (well in my little world anyway:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why would you do that and how is a motorcycle the same as a push bike?

Go back and read the previous point.

Poster implied that cyclists should be banned when its wet and windy, and I suggested you should ban motorbikes too. Both can be affected by strong crosswinds. So can lorries, high sided trailers etc.

How are they the same? Well the wind can blow both about if your caught unawares. Similar center of gravity. Both have two wheels. I could go on...

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    there was a white van travelling behind a cyclist with its hazards on , imo the driving of this van was way more dangerous than the cyclists i encountered last night... also should these bikes not hae a light on them so in driving rain motorists can see them
    Why was the van dangerous? Were there any particular manouvers that you thought were causing a problem?

It had the hazards on, so you were alerted to it, and I would guess it was travelling as fast if not faster than any tractor would along the road

On the lights point, yes it may have been helpful, but there is no legal requirement to have lights on any bike (racing or not) at that time of day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

it was in the middle of the road , people behind it didnt know why it had its hazards on there are alot of traffic islands along that road and with the driving rain it was very hard to see to overtake.... also the marshalls must have some commitment to stand out in the pouring rain

I take the point about the following van, but as stated it did at least have hazards on.

Surely you guys can't really still be moaning at individual cyclists going along at getting on for 40kph (and in some cases quite a bit faster).

This thread stared as a complaint because of groups of riders taking up the road and being difficult to pass - can't see any problem about last night's set-up - yes better weather would have improved it for those of us racing, but getting past us on that road was really not an issue. This thread seems to have turned more into a "what else can we have a go at cyclists for" rather than "how can we pass a group of cyclists safely?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is not the topic. We are discussing groups of cyclists in league races riding 5 abreast.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Poster implied that cyclists should be banned when its wet and windy, and I suggested you should ban motorbikes too. Both can be affected by strong crosswinds. So can lorries, high sided trailers etc.

How are they the same? Well the wind can blow both about if your caught unawares. Similar center of gravity. Both have two wheels. I could go on...

Personally I think it was a condescending remark being made to belittle the poster.

It's not pertinent to the topic that we are discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never said the word "banned" at all. Just postponed until more suitable weather for safety reasons. I have seen other events postponed or delayed for similar reasons i.e. a football game the other night.

Advertisement