Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court Case - anybody get their centrefire pistol back?

Options
  • 17-05-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭

Just being nosey here, but did any of the 168 involved in the January High Court case get their centrefire pistols back yet or what is happening?

Anybody refused their licence again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

I know a chap who has a 10 shot 22lr, he only just got it (got it back :confused: ) recently after he went to court. Not sure if hes one of those 168 lads, but 10 shot is restricted all the same- so maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Mike87 wrote: »
    I know a chap who has a 10 shot 22lr, he only just got it (got it back :confused: ) recently after he went to court. Not sure if hes one of those 168 lads, but 10 shot is restricted all the same- so maybe.
    10 shot is not restricted but anything over 10 is. All the ruger 10/22 are 10 shot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

homerhop wrote: »
    10 shot is not restricted but anything over 10 is. All the ruger 10/22 are 10 shot

In a pistol, ten shots is restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Apologies there Mike wasn't minding the cf part when I replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

if you have a cf pistol then you can have as many in the mag as you want as it's a restricted licence it's rimfire that you have to plug the mag to 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's a well-known 'fact' that any five shot .22 handgun is fearsomely more dangerous than any 17-shot centre-fire handgun in the wrong hands.

One day we'll see some sense in gun laws here in Europe, but prolly not in MY lifetime.

Sigh...............

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    It's a well-known 'fact' that any five shot .22 handgun is fearsomely more dangerous than any 17-shot centre-fire handgun in the wrong hands.

One day we'll see some sense in gun laws here in Europe, but prolly not in MY lifetime.

Sigh...............

tac

Dont be saying that. Sure at the next election you should sign up and we'll get all the shooters in the country to vote for you. Then when you're in the office you can sort out this reloading business and get us our handguns back and when thats all done if you have the time you could see about getting us full auto or 50bmgs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spudy1991

id vote for him lol, but relly tho.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thought about that for a bit... the highest density of firearms licences is in the wicklow/dublin area according to the last statistics I saw on this (check the PQ thread), where in the last election the quota was 11,768 votes (but where the last TD elected did it with 9,966 votes because of the way the count went). Does anyone think we could put together, say, a block of 10,000 first-preference votes in Wicklow?

Sparks wrote: »
    Thought about that for a bit... the highest density of firearms licences is in the wicklow/dublin area according to the last statistics I saw on this (check the PQ thread), where in the last election the quota was 11,768 votes (but where the last TD elected did it with 9,966 votes because of the way the count went). Does anyone think we could put together, say, a block of 10,000 first-preference votes in Wicklow?

Not trying to be negative or anything... but how many people are going to have their "favourites" who gets a number 1 vote regardless of what else is on offer.

ALso me and you might vote for a politician because he supports our sport... but how many other brahs who just hold say a shotgun or a rifle, and couldnt care less for reloading etc and would vote for the opposite politican just because he promises an extra €5 on social welfare/college grants/pension etc

All that aside (just trying to be realistic brahs), show me the politician who supports pistols/conceal carry/home defence etc for everybody and he's got my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So I take it that the silence on this thread means that nobody got their pistols back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe they dont post here either??:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Maybe they dont post here either??:pac:

or maybe they don't want to broadcast the fact that they have pistols in their posession on the web

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

or maybe they don't want to broadcast the fact that they have pistols in their posession on the web

You don't have to give your name and address you know.

I asked some of the appealers in the club yesterday what the situation is with the cf pistols, it seems its going slowly but the first re-applications have gone in. What the outcome will be is still up in the air.

Give it about another 12 weeks or so then...:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It was done in Australia, the shooters party got a couple of MPs in the NSW parliament

Chiparus wrote: »
    It was done in Australia, the shooters party got a couple of MPs in the NSW parliament
    Yeah, but could it be done here?
    Not to beat a dead horse, but what happens in other jurisdictions is nice to look at, but doesn't benefit us very much (most of the time).

I've been saying for a while that we can't really do this; looking at the math, I'm not seeing a reason to change my mind yet, but if anyone can think of a way, I'm all for it.

Mind you, the NARGC gets to appoint a senator, and that doesn't seem to have done us that much good in the past few decades...

Kind of the bumble bee situation.Technically,mathemathically,and engineering wise a bumble bee shouldnt be able to fly..Yet it does.:)

Even if the maths says it wont work,maybe we should just try it anyway?
    So maybe if ,and its a big if we did get the wexford/wicklaw block to put forth a single issue canditate on shooting,even if it didnt get much further than a few newspaper articles,it might rattle those in power.Thing is we are getting to a point in Irish politics that everyone is being disillusioned with the main parties and are going to look about for somthing different and new..

I mean our opposition here in the Dail,a turf cutting stoner,a bankrupt building contractor who is obviously colour blind going by the shirts he wears,and a posh kid who is left of Lenin... God Bless them one and all!!:pac:
    We need more of these kind in the Dail to rattle the cage,and I feel there will be plenty more joining them in the coming years,so why not a pro gun TD?Do we really have anything to lose??

Kind of the bumble bee situation.Technically,mathemathically,and engineering wise a bumble bee shouldnt be able to fly..Yet it does.:)
    I have to point out, in defence of engineers everywhere, that that particular story is as badly understood as the space pen. Engineers knew there was a problem with the mathematical model of how an insect's wings generate lift, and they spent years studying why, and learnt a lot about aerodynamics from it. It wasn't a case of the bee defying maths, it was a case of maths knowing there was a limitation in the model.

*ahem*

Sorry, but that story's up there with the one about the space pen in terms of being daft.

Don't get me started on the space pen, or I'll show you why the americans bought the pen after fisher spent years building it, and why the russians desperately wanted it themselves...
    Even if the maths says it wont work,maybe we should just try it anyway?
    See, that's why knowing the *real* bee story would be useful, because it's *real* lesson is that if the maths says it cannot work, you want to study it more before committing resources to it.

Why did the Russians want it so bad[space pen]??:confused:
    I thought they had a pretty good solution,called a pencil.Or a wax crayon??

• Advertisement

Why did the Russians want it so bad[space pen]??:confused:
    I thought they had a pretty good solution,called a pencil.Or a wax crayon??
    Pencil nibs break. Down here, no biggie, just sharpen the pencil.
    In orbit, in microgravity, those nibs and all the tiny fragments and dust float around. They have a nasty habit of shorting out electronics, being inhaled, and bouncing off eyeballs at the worst possible moment, thanks to Murphy's laws. And it's no fun when the only thing keeping you alive is a bit of electronics that just shorted out because of floating graphite dust (and spacecraft do not carry spare parts...)

The space pen (which was not developed for millions by NASA but was a completely privately developed product made by a commercial company and then sold to NASA the same way the astronauts watches were), solved all those (fairly serious) safety problems.

But all you ever hear people say is "oh, NASA, spent millions reinventing the clever Russian low tech solution". Which is not only not what happened, but which is the exact opposite of the real lessons learnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

How many of the fg and labour td's now in power made endless noise criticising in the dail the cf pistols ban and the ending of practical pistol shooting ?

Pat rabbitte , charlie flanagan certainly did , so why haven't they worked to sort the current ff initiated mess ? They promised the earth regarding what they would do with the banks etc and have welched on the lot.

All the shooting organisations can't even sit together on the FCP so I think it is "pie in the sky" to expect them to be able to come up with a strategy capable of getting a TD elected. It would be great to explore the possibility of it though.

Great in theory but I doubt you'd even get to the start line.

Sparks, your point about the publicity that would be achieved by this (even if it failed) is very valid and that would have to be good for the sport.

rowa wrote: »
    How many of the fg and labour td's now in power made endless noise criticising in the dail the cf pistols ban and the ending of practical pistol shooting ?

Pat rabbitte , charlie flanagan certainly did , so why haven't they worked to sort the current ff initiated mess ? They promised the earth regarding what they would do with the banks etc and have welched on the lot.

That's the beauty of being a politician, you can "run with the hare and hunt with the hound" as us country folk say.

Rabbitte, Flanagan etc don't give a sh1t about cf pistol bans. All they were doing is what any opposition do, they oppose whatever the government of the day is proposing. That said, do Ministers hold clinics like other TDs do? If so, maybe someone in their constituency should schedule an appointment and remind them of what they said in the past and is there anything that they can do about the ban.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    All the shooting organisations can't even sit together on the FCP
    I dunno - all bar one seemed like a pretty decent first stab at it to me...

I dunno - all bar one seemed like a pretty decent first stab at it to me...

Fair enough, point taken.

That's the beauty of being a politician, you can "run with the hare and hunt with the hound" as us country folk say.

Rabbitte, Flanagan etc don't give a sh1t about cf pistol bans. All they were doing is what any opposition do, they oppose whatever the government of the day is proposing. That said, do Ministers hold clinics like other TDs do? If so, maybe someone in their constituency should schedule an appointment and remind them of what they said in the past and is there anything that they can do about the ban.

Of course No Irish politican will honour an election promise..
    There is an old political saying "Promises are like pie crusts,made to be broken!" The Irish add on should be "Unless of course,it will put plenty of cash in your pockets,or get you some favours somtime!:rolleyes:

I do recall that FG was going to roll back the stag hunting ban this year...Until Labour started getting uppity about it and then went back to sleep on every other 1000% more important issue facing the country.
    As the Late and not lamented Charles J Haughy once said when in opposition,"the job of the opposition is to oppose" ...IOW just act the bollix no matter what because the other shower might have suggested somthing worthwhile that we didnt do or think of in the first place,we are in opposition so make the Govt look bad no matter what.Even if they were suggesting everyone gets a thousand quid for free every Wed,moan that it isnt two thousand!!!

No when they get in power ,Ministers dont meet the Peasentry...er their constituents anymore ,unless there is a PR opportunity or somthing in it for the aul vote,or you are on speaking and drinking terms.. You go and grovel to a Minion of the Minister AKA " ministers personal sectary" at the clinic who ferries your concerns to the Minister in Dublin or wherever.

Sheilds them from the annoyed riff raff who put them in office and gives some trusty underling a job on the taxpayers expenses.:(

No wonder this place is screwed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Rabbitte, Flanagan etc don't give a sh1t about cf pistol bans. All they were doing is what any opposition do, they oppose whatever the government of the day is proposing. .

The problem with politics is that it likes to present it's self as operating on what is sometimes known as the Hegelian dialetic of Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis. In reality, Thesis is, (what the ruling party wants)and will be done, Antithesis is what the minority party says in the hope that we will vote for them next time and Synthesis (an agreement following reasoned arguement) is only a pipe dream.

While true, I think in the Irish case, it's complicated by a large proportion of elected representatives who wouldn't have understood your post sfakiaman...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

Politicians are like babies nappies and need to Be changed regular for the same reasons

Advertisement