Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Earth - Cork Band

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah those songs are good, it's good metalcore. I'd like to hear it when it's well produced. Obviously yeah some of the vocals were weak but tis only a demo, good drummin and the guitars are interesting.

I'll come see you live if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Yeah those songs are good, it's good metalcore. I'd like to hear it when it's well produced. Obviously yeah some of the vocals were weak but tis only a demo, good drummin and the guitars are interesting.

I'll come see you live if I get a chance.

Cheers man. We got an awful slating on Metal Ireland, but sure thats to be expected. Lots of douche bags on there imo.

There is yes, but there's also a lot of people who would enjoy your music there. You're playing a kind of music that almost has to be over-produced by today's standards. So don't take it too personally, just sort out the clean vocals, get some sturdier production and try again.

There is yes, but there's also a lot of people who would enjoy your music there. You're playing a kind of music that almost has to be over-produced by today's standards. So don't take it too personally, just sort out the clean vocals, get some sturdier production and try again.

Oh yeah man for sure! I think we should try the songs with just the screaming and see how it goes.

We're working on another 8 or 9 songs so when all the songs are up to scratch we'll look at recording an album. We only recorded those tracks in order to give to pubs so we can get gigs as at the end of the day thats what we want to do. We're not disillusioned or caught up with 'making it', we just wanna rock out and have some fun.

We only recorded those tracks in order to give to pubs so we can get gigs as at the end of the day thats what we want to do.

It's a shame that their doesn't seem to be much of a scene in Cork when compared to smaller cities like Galway and Limerick. You should try get gigs with bands that sound like you like Emigra for example.

An album might cost a lot of money, but if there's 4 or 5 lads in your band you can probably chip in for a good quality demo before the end of the summer, this guy records for pretty cheap and he did the new OFAC Ep and I love it, so maybe you should check him, or some of the other DIY producers out there.

Here's his link; http://moshspace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12642

• Advertisement

It's a shame that their doesn't seem to be much of a scene in Cork when compared to smaller cities like Galway and Limerick. You should try get gigs with bands that sound like you like Emigra for example.

An album might cost a lot of money, but if there's 4 or 5 lads in your band you can probably chip in for a good quality demo before the end of the summer, this guy records for pretty cheap and he did the new OFAC Ep and I love it, so maybe you should check him, or some of the other DIY producers out there.

Here's his link; http://moshspace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12642

Cheers man, yeah I'll check that out. I do have some connections with one or two really good engineers/producers in Cork as they're friends of my dads band and they said they like us and would do our recording for cheaper than normal as they know were all broke and starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Nice sound lads. Good standard there in my opinion.

Guitar melody and drumming had a good feel to it. Vocals were a little weak in the recording and wasnt much of a fan of the vocal tempo used up to the 2 minute mark, also would have preferred if that melodic bit was left out, (again around the 2 minute mark) would have been nicer to speed it up there instead, I think anyway.

Thats just my opinion and I'm just some fella on the internet though.

All in all I enjoyed it and well done for creating something.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Nice sound lads. Good standard there in my opinion.

Guitar melody and drumming had a good feel to it. Vocals were a little weak in the recording and wasnt much of a fan of the vocal tempo used up to the 2 minute mark, also would have preferred if that melodic bit was left out, (again around the 2 minute mark) would have been nicer to speed it up there instead, I think anyway.

Thats just my opinion and I'm just some fella on the internet though.

All in all I enjoyed it and well done for creating something.

Cheers mate, appreciate the comments!
    Check out our facebook page also, we have loads more songs and we're mad to gig, so we're really trying to create a fanbase!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/After-Earth/267248366640556

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Will do,

Check out CT Prevail for what I think is a excellent 'breakdown to solo' coming on from about 1:40. They're a couple of lads from Sweden who I think were about 19 ish when they recorded this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Like the drumming and the bass work on it. Thought the guitar work was good as well. Not a fan of the vocals though as I felt that they took away from the music at times and that they were very generic as well as somewhat weak.

Take away the vocals and you have a bit of an 80's metal sound to the band in the way that bands like Grand Magus have an 80's influence in their sound. I mean that in a good way though as the musical part of the songs you put up sounds good to my ears.

Would not listen to any naysayers on Metal Ireland becuase your music sounds good and sounds promising, so just do your own thing and eff the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

This sounds like every other metalcore band out there, just not as well produced, which is fair enough as it's a demo. I just don't get the appeal of this type of music. I've rarely heard a band stray outside of the cookie cutter and be a bit different. It's just the most brainless type of metal I've ever heard - riff, screamo vocals, maybe a tempo change into softer vocals and back into screamo, solo and finished.

Maybe I'm just after getting too cynical in my old age, but this stuff appeals to young kids for ten mins, then their attention span goes elsewhere. Metal Ireland on the other hand is just the same crowd +10 years, only they grew up on death metal. So don't ever expect any kind of hardcore stuff to go down very well on there.

Not really a metalcore crowd, but they had elements of it to their sound and shows how to do clean, melodic vocals right whilst mixing it with screams and very tasty musicianship...
    http://www.myspace.com/orpheusmetal

Kess73 wrote: »
    Like the drumming and the bass work on it. Thought the guitar work was good as well. Not a fan of the vocals though as I felt that they took away from the music at times and that they were very generic as well as somewhat weak.

Take away the vocals and you have a bit of an 80's metal sound to the band in the way that bands like Grand Magus have an 80's influence in their sound. I mean that in a good way though as the musical part of the songs you put up sounds good to my ears.

Would not listen to any naysayers on Metal Ireland becuase your music sounds good and sounds promising, so just do your own thing and eff the rest of them.

Very impressed with your reply. You went to the lengths of summing up all your likes and dislikes in a very constructive way.

We recorded these songs in a mates house using very basic stuff and tbh, we we're surprised with the outcome as I did two takes for each song on the drums, bass was done in about an hour (most of that was getting a sound that wasn't too whoopie-cushion like), guitars were about another hour each and the vocals were not given enough time to say the least.

The vocals have got a lot of stick to be fair and I think if we re-recorded the vocals on the tracks we would get a much better reception. I think maybe it was partly due to it being 1am by the time the vocals were recorded, everyone was bait out and I think screaming into a microphone in someones spare room, stood behind a few smelly matresses, isn't too motivating.

These two songs on the demo are two of the first songs we have written and we have written a lot more since. Coupled with the fact that I was hospitalised due to a car accident, we are now only getting back into the swing of things.

If I'm being honest, we, as a band would like to get some gigs around Ireland and blast out our music, make friends, drink beers and have a great time in the process. We're not investing in pro-tools engineers to follow us to knebworth or anything. We are what we are and we are not deluded by the fact that the chances of 'making' it are slim to none. Plus as aforementioned, lots of metalcore bands are arising at the moment and seeing as none of us are pretty lads wearing vests showing off hideous neck tattos, we wont be gracing the cover of kerrang magazine either.

So basically, if we could generate some interest in Ireland we'd like to play some free gigs and drink some beers as many times as possible!

Richy06 wrote: »
    I've rarely heard a band stray outside of the cookie cutter and be a bit different. It's just the most brainless type of metal I've ever heard - riff, screamo vocals, maybe a tempo change into softer vocals and back into screamo, solo and finished.

Well, that's the most common pattern used in the majority of songwriting across most genres of music!

Some of our other stuff is a bit more prog orientated, but we don't write songs saying 'I'm gonna write a prog/metalcore/thrash song', the guitarists bring in complete songs or parts of songs and we work on them as a unit.

Our demo was done in a bedroom aswell for a budget of nothing. I don't know how much you guys know about home recording or how much experience you've had recording, but I reckon if you just spent a weekend reading guides online and watching videos etc. you'd be suprised at how much better you might sound.

I don't know anything myself really about recording, but our singer did the vocals in a hot press with loads of pillows? :P

Our demo was done in a bedroom aswell for a budget of nothing. I don't know how much you guys know about home recording or how much experience you've had recording, but I reckon if you just spent a weekend reading guides online and watching videos etc. you'd be suprised at how much better you might sound.

I don't know anything myself really about recording, but our singer did the vocals in a hot press with loads of pillows? :P

I'll look into it! I'm crap at all that stuff, sure I'm just the drummer :(

I checket out that video before when you put it on here too! Very cool I must say!

Advertisement