Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over carbonated beer

Options
  • 17-05-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Just opened a wheat beer and it just continuously foamed until about half the beer was gone out of the bottle.

Tried to "gas" the rest of the batch by opening a little to let it fizz up to the top of the bottle and then close and leave for an hour and repeat the process until satisfied that it's died down enough. Done this 4 times already!

Is this an infection of did I simply overcarbonate my bottles?
    Hate to have to throw out an entire batch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

If you primed the bottles with extra sugar you might have a problem - you might even have them burst if there are any weaknesses in the glass.
    You could open them into a fermenting bin and then re bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

how much sugar did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

190 grams which is less than I used for a previous beer which leads me to believe that it's infected. Tried one last night and it didn't taste too good either!

Trying to think of where I went wrong though??
    Thinking either the bottles weren't clean enough although I rinsed them out and sanitised them? Or possibly the tap on the fermentor? Thin Bleach I was using was at least 6 months old, would that be an issue?

Starting a new beer tomorrow anyway so onwards and upwards! Meticulous cleaning/sanitising shall be observed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

leggit wrote: »
    Is this an infection of did I simply overcarbonate my bottles?
    An alternative explanation is that fermentation wasn't finished when you bottled.

BeerNut wrote: »
    An alternative explanation is that fermentation wasn't finished when you bottled.

OG - 1.042
    FG - 1.009

Waited 3 weeks before I bottled it. Done this for all my batches and never seen anything like this? It doesn't gush out of the bottle it just continuously rises slowly out of the bottle for what seems like forever. Opened and resealed them 5 times to try and get them to calm down but to no avail.

Threw one in the fridge last night and going to taste it later with a mate to get a consensus and whether it's worth drinking or not? When I poured one last night the foaming subsided once out of the bottle and actually had a nice head on it, taste wasn't very nice though so might be an improvement out of the fridge.

Otherwise, might just freeze the cr*p out of them and drink them anyway!

• Advertisement

further more, where would one pick up a bottle brush in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Get a bottle brush in most supermarkets in the baby section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Have you figured out what you are going to do OP? Or any further ideas on what went wrong?

ian_m wrote: »
    Have you figured out what you are going to do OP? Or any further ideas on what went wrong?

Well, we tried it again on Friday evening and everyone else said it was fine once you poured it out of the bottle!?

Maybe my standards are too high???

Drank a rake load of them on saturday and went down pretty well, there was definitely something not right about it though so cleaned the absolute *$%$ out of my fermentor and tap for my new batch and was able to get a bottle brush in the babies section in tesco so cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Stumbled across this last night...

• Advertisement
Advertisement