Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Kitchen Pipe

• 17-05-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Firstly, I wasn't sure if this would be the right area for this post and apologies if it's not.
    So, the mother's looking for a new kitchen and she went up and ordered one in Ikea. We are going to go collect it during the week so my brother starts tearing out all the old presses in preparation and came across an odd pipe sticking up out of a whole in the ground behind the old presses.
    The problem now is that this pipe is going to be in the way of the corner unit with carousel shelves inside that the mother has chosen...
    Does anyone have any idea what this is for and can we get it removed? It seems to have a cable connected - is it earthing something?

I've attached photos (I hope) below.

Any help much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Looks like a gas pipe to me.......time to call a 'man'.
    That said.... pop the cap off and open the tap and have a sniff, if you smell gas, call someone in to cap it further back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

earpiece wrote: »
    Looks like a gas pipe to me.......time to call a 'man'.
    That said.... pop the cap off and open the tap and have a sniff, if you smell gas, call someone in to cap it further back.

+1 I would say it`s a gas pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

could be gas alright...could be from an old water heater to tho, best take off the cap and smell....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

Thanks all, I'll tell the brother to have a sniff tomorrow so. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Ikea kitchen unit legs are 16cms so if cutting and re-capping,make sure its lower than this.The leg position might be where the pipe is but you could easily move it over a bit. I think that only RGI registered plumberes are allowed to work on mains gas pipework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pretty certain it's gas with that little tap just below the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dsignr25 wrote: »
    Thanks all, I'll tell the brother to have a sniff tomorrow so. :D

It is illegal for anyone other than a qualified gas installer to work on gas pipes/fittings. Also, they look like very old fittings, once you break the seal they may not be "airtight" again. I would suggest you get a pro in, as that pipe looks like it needs to be cut back anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

Slick50 wrote: »
    It is illegal for anyone other than a qualified gas installer to work on gas pipes/fittings. Also, they look like very old fittings, once you break the seal they may not be "airtight" again. I would suggest you get a pro in, as that pipe looks like it needs to be cut back anyhow.

Sounds good to me, better not to touch it so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Slick50 wrote: »
    It is illegal for anyone other than a qualified gas installer to work on gas pipes/fittings.
    everything is illegal around here. Pop the cap off, open the valve. You'll know immediately. Not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

It could be illegal for a very good reason!!......I suggest that this thread should be moved out of DIY and into the Plumbing +Heating section,where hopefully the O.P will receive some professional advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

It looks like a gas pipe allright. A lot of them were left in place after dublin gas ran in a new pipe and moved the meter outside, the old pipe would be capped but not cut off, still connected to the gas main, called a 'dead leg' iirc.
    A guy i know found one of these when putting in a new kitchen, stuck on a regulator and ran his gas cooker free for 8 years. The supply stopped when the gas main was upgraded to plastic pipe & the 'dead leg' wasn't reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dodzy wrote: »
    Not rocket science.

It's not, no, but dsignr25's OP would suggest he's not exactly "Mr. DIY".
    dsignr25 wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea what this is for and can we get it removed?

He's probably still going to need someone to cut it back, or remove it for him.... it's still illegal, and dangerous to tamper with gas fittings if you're not qualified to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

dodzy wrote: »
    everything is illegal around here. Pop the cap off, open the valve. You'll know immediately. Not rocket science.

Interfering with gas is illegal for a reason, you don't just put your own house and family at risk but your neighbours as well.

Advertisement