Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb upgrade. Am I making the right decision?

• 17-05-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Sorry for starting another thread as I know there are probably loads :o but a search isn't returning any good answers to my questions.

Like a lot of people I was offered the free upgrade to a new 100Mb modem with UPC and I'm due to collect it tomorrow. Typical me, I decided to research the new modem AFTER ordering it. Reviews seem mixed and I have a couple of specific queries.

1) The new modem(s) don't sound as customizable as some of the older setups (I have a Scientific Atlanta modem and Netgear router). Will I still be able to login and change some basic settings? I'm currently using UnblockUS and would be lost without it, and it seems to work most reliably if I set it up via the router rather than on every device in my house.

2) Which modem am I likely to receive?

3) Finally, how on earth do I get the coax cable out of my Scientific Atlanta modem?? Is it supposed to unscrew or pull out with brute force??

Thanks, and again sorry if I'm repeating questions that have already been asked a thousand time!

Fiona

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

3) Finally, how on earth do I get the coax cable out of my Scientific Atlanta modem?? Is it supposed to unscrew or pull out with brute force??

Unscrew it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

SickBoy wrote: »

Unscrew it!!

that's what I thought but it feels like it's been superglue in. I'll have to get my hands on a vice grips or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭IsMiseDaithair

They will send out a little spanner the right size with the new modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I take it was the old small white netgear router(WGR614) you were using?. You will most like get a Cisco 3925. Its a big step up from the netgear G Vs N rated(better wireless performance) multiple channel bonding so you are more likely to get the speed you paid for. Never used UnblockUS but having a look at the service, it seems to be just a case of changing the DNS server which shouldn't be a problem.The Cisco is configurable as much if not more that the netgear. Most importantly with your new all in one modem/router you can reclaim a plug socket :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

They will send out a little spanner the right size with the new modem.

Thanks, that's good to know except UPC had asked me to bring the old modem with me when collecting the new one and I ended up breaking the back of the modem getting the coax out. Oops.
    DingDong wrote: »
    I take it was the old small white netgear router(WGR614) you were using?. You will most like get a Cisco 3925. Its a big step up from the netgear G Vs N rated(better wireless performance) multiple channel bonding so you are more likely to get the speed you paid for. Never used UnblockUS but having a look at the service, it seems to be just a case of changing the DNS server which shouldn't be a problem.The Cisco is configurable as much if not more that the netgear. Most importantly with your new all in one modem/router you can reclaim a plug socket :D

Thanks for that, I had read in a few places that the newer routers were completely locked down. it's reassuring to know I'll be able to tinker a little. I'm only with UPC a couple of years so I already had an N router, I'm just hoping to upgrade my line to either 50 or 100 now that I'm getting the new one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement