Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How 'driven' are you?

• 17-05-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Career/money/job/life wise?

Have you been previously but changed? Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

On a year out and don't have a job yet. You figure it out:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here. Pretty expensive, as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Nope,nope.nope and not really. Think my battery is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

How 'driven' are you, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Very, and it gets tiring. Would like to be more laid back, but you reach a certain point and suddenly a lot of people depend on you to stay driven so you plough on. Personally, I'd lie on a beach at this stage but that would feck up a fair few people for their livelihood, so it's onward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'm can be at times, but if I'm feeling down then all motivation goes out the window..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm a taxi driver so I'm driving, not driven. . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm driven a lot. I don't drive. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

No I'm to prone to the why should I bother with this shít being around shítty people being treated like shít trying to keep up in the rat race, its easier to be relaxed while still setting goals, not being the best but being content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I am fairly driven when I want something I will usually persevere until I get it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I look around the office and see people that have been there twenty years and are stuck in the same position. In the space of a year I have been giving more responsibility than them and got approved for a course that you need in order to ever move up the ladder and I consider myself a little laid back but driven at the same time. You need the balance but some people are just damn lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The fact that I want to punch my boss repeatedly every day makes me both demotivated and driven to do something better at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Fiona wrote: »
    I am fairly driven when I want something I will usually persevere until I get it :D
    dead on, -but the sig....it's "tyres or tits":)Testicles, pah, just, pah..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Not very at the moment, any time there's pressure for anything I just lose any semblance of motivation I have. For example, I have my last exam tomorrow, and I'm here writing this drivel instead of studying. Most of the time, apart from tonight, I would consider myself diligent, disciplined and driven. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

This is about the 5th life assessment/self-reflection thread in AH today. That's deep, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

smash wrote: »
    The fact that I want to punch my boss repeatedly every day makes me both demotivated and driven to do something better at the same time.

This ^^

I'm very laid back and wouldn't describe myself as ambitious at all. Seem to be doing ok so far in spite of this.

I think there's been a perception creeping into Irish society that things like "ambition", "drive" and "motivation" are always positive personality traits to have. They aren't, I have enough exposure to people possesing an abundance of these traits in my profession to know this.

People need to remember that there is a very fine line between ambition and greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

not very at all. i should be, cause it's something i like in other people, but i can't help it. i've never had great ambition or direction in my life, so i've nothing to work towards. except maybe now, i've to work towards getting a friggin job in my field wihich seems to be impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

im not driven at all sometimes i don't even fin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My dad gave me a lift home earlier, does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

the hard thing about being all driven and all '6:30am go gettem tiger', is that you hear and read so many things about people kicking the bucket so often.
    i'd hate to have spent my life chasing for whatever it was only to......ah something something you figure the rest out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I started my career working in finance at young age and had great motivators in a massive % of the office being completely instutionslised and used by senior management.
    Since those days it's like the carrot and stick approach,I never want to end up like that or not do the things I enjoy and want out of life so it gives me plenty of drive.
    You need a balance though to stop it consuming your life as too much stress is just not good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Sometimes I feel a bit funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

HOS 1997 wrote: »

Driven tends to mean money, job status and career value, means feck all as many the banker found out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Im pretty 'ehh..'

Its over driven people who I find unbearable, those ones who forget to blink and bang the drawers closed and have well timed wide eyed smiles, always in a rush cuz if they stop, kinda like that film 'Speed' they'll just explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

guitarzero wrote: »
    Im pretty 'ehh..'

Its over driven people who I find unbearable, those ones who forget to blink and bang the drawers closed and have well timed wide eyed smiles, always in a rush cuz if they stop, kinda like that film 'Speed' they'll just explode.
    Ha ha classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

When in work very driven, just got promoted to a position that doesn't yet exist!
    But when at home I can let everything build up till I have a couple of days off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Spent my twenties extremely driven and made lots of cash but am in my early 30's now and an so laid back I am almost horizontal!

Loving life now and although I still have a few quid stashed away I feel 100 times better about myself and my life and no stress.

• Advertisement

Don't care much for longterm career these days... I go 2 years experience in fund accounting before I left Ireland and have grown to hate the industry since.

Now it's just an earn money, travel, earn money, travel mentality with the money being earned in the places I want to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BsBox

I'm on a year out before I start college and I'm working 2 jobs, so I guess I'm quite driven work-wise.

As for studying, that's a whole different story. I'll figuratively do anything to avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

very. but not by money or greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

When it comes to college, I'm not very driven unfortunately!! After 5 years, I'm pulling an all nighter for the first time, I've an exam at 9.30, yet I'm on boards!!!

Round the bend usually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I am very very driven when i put my mind to it. Doesnt make you the most popular person in the world! Money isnt a huge motivator for me, yet. So the drive has mainly been in education, education-enhancing work experiences and those hobbies and pasttimes you develop to cultivate a leisure life. In saying that, you'd have to look twice sometimes to know how driven i am because a lot of the stuff i am driven by is long running stuff. Things that dont put in or out on these dont tend to bother me too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Pottler wrote: »
    dead on, -but the sig....it's "tyres or tits":)Testicles, pah, just, pah..

Now you giving lip about my signature just proved my point get back in yer box mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

A certain amount of drive is healthy. Personally, I have enough that I don't sit around on my hole at the weekends and work enough to feed myself and put clothes on my back and do my best at what I'm doing. I could do with more though.I get things done eventually but it could take years.

Highly driven people rarely have a full bill of health. I'd take the way I am over suffering from stress thank you very much! Did you know 70% of illnesses are caused by stress? Fact! Would rather live slow, dye old to be honest.

I wasn't until about last year
    then I decided no point sitting around waiting for things to happen and to go get what I want to
    so now I am more so
    Still have a balance though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Very. Had no drive until the recession hit in 2008, best thing that ever happened to me. Struggled with depression and a load of mother issues for a lot of my teens and early twenties. Coupled with a lot of bad romantic relationships, cancer and bullying I never achieved anything in school and the first few years of college, just scraped by.

Went from failing most of my college exams to getting straight 1.1's. Joined one of the top graduate programs in the country with one of the industry's biggest company's, where the applicant:job ratio was about 200:1. Earnt 44k gross at 24. Found to be one of the top graduates in the country at an annual graduate competition. Looking at moving abroad with my company for different opportunities.

Massive turnaround in 2 years for someone who had always underachieved. If I can do it, anyone can do it. It is a mindset. When you want to be successful as badly as you want to breathe, you will be successful. That drive willl come when you want it badly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Very driven.

Father set up the best company in his industry, and is the "go-to guy" in it.

Now that i've taken the reins along with my two brothers, anything less than remaining the best is not good enough.

Minimum standard is that i be the best. FACK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

C.D. wrote: »
    Very. Had no drive until the recession hit in 2008, best thing that ever happened to me. Struggled with depression and a load of mother issues for a lot of my teens and early twenties. Coupled with a lot of bad romantic relationships, cancer and bullying I never achieved anything in school and the first few years of college, just scraped by.

Went from failing most of my college exams to getting straight 1.1's. Joined one of the top graduate programs in the country with one of the industry's biggest company's, where the applicant:job ratio was about 200:1. Earnt 44k gross at 24. Found to be one of the top graduates in the country at an annual graduate competition. Looking at moving abroad with my company for different opportunities.

Massive turnaround in 2 years for someone who had always underachieved. If I can do it, anyone can do it. It is a mindset. When you want to be successful as badly as you want to breathe, you will be successful. That drive willl come when you want it badly enough.

Inspiring post. Sounds like you have changed your life around, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

If its something I enjoy doing and have an interest in, I can be very driven. But most of the time I find it very difficult to muster a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Money, lifestyle, career are things that don't interest me.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    If its something I enjoy doing and have an interest in, I can be very driven. But most of the time I find it very difficult to muster a ****.

I can be like that. I suppose it's how we motivate ourselves to do the things we don't enjoy (work, study etc.) that determine how successful we are.

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

was extremley driven up until the age of twenty one

bee_keeper wrote: »
    was extremley driven up until the age of twenty one

What changed at 21?

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

What changed at 21?

thats for another thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

bee_keeper wrote: »
    thats for another thread ;)

Did the bee's seek a new queen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I look around the office and see people that have been there twenty years and are stuck in the same position. In the space of a year I have been giving more responsibility than them and got approved for a course that you need in order to ever move up the ladder and I consider myself a little laid back but driven at the same time. You need the balance but some people are just damn lazy.

The window cleaning course ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement