Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ftr stocks

• 17-05-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out what kind of stock I want/should put on my rifle.

What stocks are there available/suitable apart from the obvious ( Enda Walsh/ Pse)

And for those using the common ones, would ye recommend it or think there is better available?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

The main thing in FTR is weight.

Gun Stocks Ireland
    Enda Walsh makes beautiful stocks

Personal Favourite of mine
    1057.jpg

PSE E-Tac Stock
    There is now 3 of these being used for FTR in the Midlands

DSC01499.jpg

Dolphin Gun Company

riflestocks_black_built.jpg

Then there are McMillan's, etc.

It will come down to personal preference in the end

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I remember when i was upgrading my stock i done extensive, and i mean extensive research into companies, designs, costs, weights, pros & cons, etc, etc. To such an extent i had a path worn between my house, and the dealers i used to torment (sorry about that again guys :D)

You always need to know the weight limit of the gun in the discipline you intend to shoot in, and the total wight of the other components, as this will narrow your choice of stocks.

I began my search by looking at Bell & Carlson stocks, and Robertson's from the US. They were good stocks with a proven record of quality, and reliability. Next was the obvious ones such as McMillan, H&S, Choate's, etc. I then just tried Google searches for any stock makers. I came across some new companies, and some "obscure" companies with odd, and unusual designs.

Alot of the stocks looked as though they would do, and some were really tempting. The only issue i had was that while the webaites gave all the details from specs to dimensions, to weights, etc i could not actually feel the stock. So while it kight be the "Rolls Royce" of stocks it's useless to me unless i can get a feel for the stock, and know that after paying for it i could live with it.

Then i was introduced to a certain Mr. Walsh. He gave everything i wanted, plus allowed me to ask for specifics that other manufacturers did not offer such as a palm swell & thumb hole combination, custom made grip to suit my hand "contour", length of pull made to my measurements, etc. The choice was becoming very easy, very quickly, and when i found that the price was less than the best offered from the states i knew i had my stock.

As said above you need to, as accurately as you can, measure the wieght of your action, bolt, scope, rings/mounts, barrel, and bipod. Once you have all these you will know how much weight you have to "spend" on a stock. When in doubt as to the weight of your gear always err on the heavy side. It's easy enough to add weight, but sometimes not so easy to drop it.

Most stock makers offer a variation in design to accommodate the weight needed, but you may find you loose out on an accessory/feature to make the weight. The custom stocks can be made to your specifications and weight without compromising on design, build quality, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭patsat

Ya I have be thinking this over, I was gonna organise the stock first and then bring it to Fergal and get a barrel.

But not I reckon I'll go the othe way and sort out my barrel and then weight everything up and get the stock based on what weight I have left. Thanks lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats the way i'd go.

To loose weigh from a barrel means cutting and re-crowning, etc at least once, and possibly twice if the first does not drop the necessary weight. While you can choose or approximate the weight of the barrel based on length, contour, etc. it may still vary, as i found out on one of my first barrels. I worked out the weight of the barrel, approx., ordered it then got everything else sorted. When the barrel came in it was slightly heavier, as was the scope, bipod, and all these small increases lead tome being slightly over weight.

The only other item you need to check is your bipod. The Sinclair is the heaviest at 2.2 pound, but a very reliable, and stable bipod. Others are less in wieght all the way down to0.75 pound for the Harris bipod. Pick one and include the weight, even if you have not bought it yet include the weight of what it will weigh, in the total weight for the build. Add everything together, and take it from the 18.18 pound total weight limit for FTR. This will give you the max stock weight.

Also another tip. While you are allowed 18.18 pounds may i suggest you limit your build to 18.1 or even 18 pound dead. epending on range, scales, etc there may be variations in the accuracy of the scales used, and on your "home" range your scales says you are fine, but on another range you may be slightly overweight. So try and aim for a slightly lower wieght limit than the max 18.18 limit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

@Ezridax - there is no doubt all in my mind that IF I lived in the RoI, then Mr Walsh would be getting my custom for ALL my guns that would benefit from modern re-stocking.

His work is nothing less than inspired, and very beautiful too see.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement