Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic lights at coosan junction?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Aaaaaand we have our first crash....
    Collision at the coosan junction this evenin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Almost had a cyclist go into the side of me at Garrycastle today - on my inside he was going straight on, I was turning left. He was in the painted on cycle lane so we both had the light to go. The more I go through them they really have screwed them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Aaaaaand we have our first crash....
    Collision at the coosan junction this evenin.

I'm surprised it took this long. I saw a car sail straight through the red lights a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Yep I've seen two cars sail through the lights at Coosan. As for the Garrycastle one, the approach from Garrycastle has two lanes for traffic going straight, but straight after the first lights one of the lanes turns into a right hand turn lane, I've seen many a car trying to get in lane very quickly and nearly causing a collision! There's a lot more decent signage needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

whyulittle wrote: »
    Almost had a cyclist go into the side of me at Garrycastle today - on my inside he was going straight on, I was turning left. He was in the painted on cycle lane so we both had the light to go. The more I go through them they really have screwed them all up.

Always slow down for cyclists and treat them like a slow moving car when there is a chance they will pull out in front of you. He should have used the hand out sign to indicate before moving and if a cyclist does so then wait behind them. Glad it worked out, well done on reacting and avoiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

tubos wrote: »
    .... As for the Garrycastle one, the approach from Garrycastle has two lanes for traffic going straight, but straight after the first lights one of the lanes turns into a right hand turn lane, I've seen many a car trying to get in lane very quickly and nearly causing a collision...

Saw a Garda car get caught with that lane the other day and nearly take out a line of traffic swerving back into the correct lane at the last minute!!

Anyone know the total cost of the project?

tubos wrote: »
    Yep I've seen two cars sail through the lights at Coosan. As for the Garrycastle one, the approach from Garrycastle has two lanes for traffic going straight, but straight after the first lights one of the lanes turns into a right hand turn lane, I've seen many a car trying to get in lane very quickly and nearly causing a collision! There's a lot more decent signage needed.

There needs to be an advance "Get in Lane" sign stating that the right lane is for turning onto the bypass after the bridge.

It caught me out, and I was actually turning right! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Seen when your meeting oncoming and they are in "their" right lane waiting to get on the ramp to the bypass. Both ways get a green light, but sometimes the oncoming traffic that were waiting don't realise you have a green light at the same time and cut across in front of you.

Also noticed someone blatantly running a red light at the Coosan junction yesterday.

Both myself and my friend were caught out by the turning lane at Garrycastle lights also.

Seen when your meeting oncoming and they are in "their" right lane waiting to get on the ramp to the bypass. Both ways get a green light, but sometimes the oncoming traffic that were waiting don't realise you have a green light at the same time and cut across in front of you.

Also noticed someone blatantly running a red light at the Coosan junction yesterday.

Both myself and my friend were caught out by the turning lane at Garrycastle lights also.

That is a really good point. I do not know if it is poor driving skills but it is clear how the mistake could be made. They are very close together when they get green and its not like the more normal cross roads type lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Well, they did a great job of fixing the garrycastle flyover lights and road markings!! The approach from the Spar - left lane is now for turning left only, right hand lane for all through traffic, but nobody adheres to it, I am constantly being beeped by people in the left lane going straight on, as if I am in the wrong! There needs to be a sign saying left lane for turning only.

Saw a big accident there last night although it looked like somebody broke the lights at the off ramp on the northbound carriageway. Fire Brigade were called to remove one of the drivers from the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

don't know why they changed them at all!

the Coosan exit is now a mess.

If there are people breaking the lights in probably would not cause a serious accident unless people are speeding in on the approach to the lights. Then they might hit a car coming from B & Q at speed. Maybe the installation of speed cameras on the off ramps might help. I think the idea of a left turn only lane without markings on the road big arrows is very hard for people to follow as there are very few of these type of junctions. Once you pass a green light are you not then entitled to turn left. The light on red would only refer to the those on the opposite side of the junction. Can anyone she light on this?

They should have put in mini-roundabouts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

They should have put in mini-roundabouts!

mini roundabouts still work when the electricity goes.

Advertisement